Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: non-z overclocking as of 10/15?

Default non-z overclocking as of 10/15?

can someone fill me in and tell me this is still working (on h87)? literally everything i've read about this is from July, and there seems to be no word about it post July. I see intel was going to prevent it somehow, but nothing was said. this is kind of frustrating.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: non-z overclocking as of 10/15?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmi View Post
    can someone fill me in and tell me this is still working (on h87)? literally everything i've read about this is from July, and there seems to be no word about it post July. I see intel was going to prevent it somehow, but nothing was said. this is kind of frustrating.
    Good question, and I agree, not much has been said about the "Non-Z OC" feature in this forum, as in users complaining it does not work. There were maybe one or two I vaguely remember, but nothing conclusive about it no longer working.

I can tell you this, Intel found a way to prevent this from working, by a change/update in what is called the processor's microcode. That is normally done in a BIOS update, or can be done manually if you know how to do so. I'm not sure if there is another way Intel could sneak in a microcode update, such as in a chipset firmware update (IME firmware for example) or driver update, but I've seen nothing about that.

Since Intel does not want Non-Z OC to be available, and all mobo manufactures have figured it out, Intel wants them to put the microcode update in a BIOS update. Occasionally you will see a BIOS update that mentions a CPU microcode update that is done for another reason. Of course, a mobo manufacture is not required to tell you what is contained in a BIOS update, so it could be in one and we'd not know... until the Non-Z OC feature suddenly doesn't work anymore.

Let's look at the BIOS updates for the ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance board, that was said to have this feature:

ASRock > Fatal1ty H87 Performance

non-z overclocking as of 10/15?-nonzoc-bios-png

We can see the BIOS version 1.50, dated 7/8/2013, lists adding support for Non-Z OC. This board does not have any BIOS updates beyond 1.50, so that feature has not been removed, or contains the microcode update that would override this feature. So, Non-Z OC should be working. If a board like this had newer BIOS updates, and one of them mentioned a "CPU microcode update", you probably would want to avoid using that version, if you wanted the Non-Z OC feature.

We can understand at least why mobo manufactures are not talking about this feature anymore, but if you know what to look for, it still seems to be there. Any board that you are wondering about?

Thread Information