Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue




  1. #11
    ViperGTSR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Yes settings (after much trial and error, thought it was DRAM settings since it never sets to DDR-1600 as default even with ram and CPU that are compatible...) of Boot ROM mode to Legacy and AHCI option ROM to enabled finally allowed me to get back into Windows. The rest is all normal settings from before upgrade.

  2. #12
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    ViperGTSR, thanks for that. Is there any drawback or issues that are caused by using those settings?

    Purple1, there is no problem using the BIOS SATA settings that work for your board with that BIOS version, which works for you, right?

    Hopefully ASRock will explain the changes in that version of the BIOS, if they are intentional, or change them back if they create an issue. Is there any problem for you using those settings?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    This might sound like I'm smoking a blunt but try moving your ram to the opposing two slots and retry. ie: suppose in A1 and B1 now, move to A2 and B2

    See one of my first post here from when I initially joined TT:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post442360
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    ViperGTSR, thanks for that. Is there any drawback or issues that are caused by using those settings?

    Purple1, there is no problem using the BIOS SATA settings that work for your board with that BIOS version, which works for you, right?

    Hopefully ASRock will explain the changes in that version of the BIOS, if they are intentional, or change them back if they create an issue. Is there any problem for you using those settings?
    No. I haven't particular issues using AMD AHCI BIOS ROM only:
    Bios take some second more to load BIOS AHCI and drives initialization.
    I cannot disable S.M.A.R.T. which decrease performances of ssd-hdd.

  5. #15
    ViperGTSR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by purple1 View Post
    No. I haven't particular issues using AMD AHCI BIOS ROM only:
    Bios take some second more to load BIOS AHCI and drives initialization.
    I cannot disable S.M.A.R.T. which decrease performances of ssd-hdd.
    I haven't seen any issues so far. I would love to get some clarification from ASRock on what the new settings are and any benefits from them.

  6. #16
    ViperGTSR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    This might sound like I'm smoking a blunt but try moving your ram to the opposing two slots and retry. ie: suppose in A1 and B1 now, move to A2 and B2

    See one of my first post here from when I initially joined TT:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post442360
    I'm not sure who you're responding to. I don't have a sleep issue, and I can't just swap RAM slots as all 4 are filled.

  7. #17
    ViperGTSR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Hey purple1 have you updated to the 2.5 bios?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTSR View Post
    Hey purple1 have you updated to the 2.5 bios?
    Yes. The problem is solved, but I have noticed that the option BOOT MODE: Legacy/UEFI was removed by ASRock. Maybe the culprit.

  9. #19
    ViperGTSR is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: asrock 990fx extreme 4, new bios 2.20 & AHCI issue

    Quote Originally Posted by purple1 View Post
    Yes. The problem is solved, but I have noticed that the option BOOT MODE: Legacy/UEFI was removed by ASRock. Maybe the culprit.
    I just loaded the 2.5 BIOS and yes, BOOT MODE option is gone. I no longer have to set AMD AHCI BIOS ROM to enabled to boot. I'm guessing the BOOT MODE had something to do with all this as well. Thank you for confirming purple1!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •