Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Fast Boot error

Default Re: Ultra Fast Boot error

well biggest issue right now then is bios uefi screen when I got into it works for one sec then goes black....OK just figured out why, its a resolution issue because I use 1080p 42 inch HDTV. I switched to my projector and it is displaying.

well now I have display of bios but my main c drive I installed win 8 on isn't listed anywhere to boot from...what the hell...if it worked right how is that drive not showing up now. It's only showing windows boot manager, what it was set to first, the blu ray drive with win 8 disk listed that's it.
    Last edited by hdtv00; 10-27-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Another major issue , I had read someone say to back up your current win 8 then you can restore it after you convert things to UEFI, however when I went to do it, it said I couldn't because it was created with BIOS system and current one is UEFI.....grrr, seriously.

Maybe I did it wrong somehow at this point who knows. I did have other drives installed when I formatted, what issues might come up because of that, I have 10 hard drives, I didn't unplug any of them during the process. Nothing seems to have been created on them during the process though...

WOW,

Did you read the part where I said NTFS has nothing to do with MBR, GPT, just checking because most normal people acknowledge when someone explains things.

You don't backup a MBR, then go to GPT, you install GPT then make a backup, or just save the ( Store 2.0 tokens ) then you can reinstall 8 an stay activated. You can make a restore point, backup, or use a clone, of which is the worst thing.

If you want the best performance and least problems, you clean install.

Unplug all the drives that are not part of the OS, or if you are RAID array, boot to the windows disk using the boot menu, pick UEFI, install windows, after you install all the drivers, install all disk, they should show up without having to go to disk MGT and activate.

I would install the 8.1 before you backup. You don't need 8.1 drivers, 8 drivers are fine, there is no BIOS for 8.1, the only problem most common is a anti-virus.

If you are installing win 8, then set secure boot, or you will see some stupid message on the desktop about secure boot.

Windows boot MGR, is the disk, in boot menu in BIOS, set it to win boot MGR.

If you have a SSD, I would install the OS to the SSD, and use HDD as storage, software.

If you set Ultra boot and your graphics card does NOT support it, during the BIOS post you will get a error screen telling you can't UL boot.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 10-27-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Yea I read and get that part about NTFS. I see how and why I was confused about that and get it. What I had done was installed win 8, all updates, then went 8.1 then I used the hidden backup thing in win 8 to image to one of the other drives I have, in hopes to save some time reinstalling everything I had done. I use this pc for gaming and HTPC and there are TONS of things I need to add app wise. Anyway if redoing it all is best then fine ok , it's not end of world.

So since its new GBR or whatever the C drive is listed as windows boot manager now and not like it always has been in the past just listed as the drive itself by name? So then everything is all good and I just need to update win 8, then upgrade to win 8.1 and then install all apps I use.

Man you know the saddest thing of all. Mentioned in this thread ultra fast boot(the reason I did all this) only works from cold start...not restarts. That's the main reason I even did all this to get 2 second restarts, not cold boots....hey it's the adventure right.

And thanks again for tips and help, this like also said in here isn't well documented. Really I hadn't seen anywhere someone doing it with disk, every guide list usb flash drive stuff and I wanted to avoid that if I didn't have to do it. So I guess everything is where it needs to be I just need updates galore.

An adventure is right.

Your welcome, sorry for being rude.

I enjoy clean installing, it's like a game. Say you install the OS on a SSD, not you install games, software on a storage such as another SSD or HDD, you don't have to reinstall most games or most software, you can lose saved games because of the
    saving on C, some you can just copy the save, but some won't take the save and you have to start from scratch.

I have 30 games, 40 software such as auto cad, converters, video, audio enhance, RAR, 7zip, on drives, never had to reinstall, and have re-installed the OS 10 times, only takes about 8mins to clean install 8.1 on a SSD.

You have to install all directx, .net, visual c++, but once all this is installed, most software, games will not require re-install on storage drives.

If you have a legit win 8 key, you can just clean install the 8.1 RTM, add the rollup A, and not have to go through the 8 install and upgrade, it will take the 8 key. You have to install 8.1 with a generic key to install, then after you add your 8 key.

I hadn't reinstalled my OS in 4 yrs. Wanted to wait to bother with win 8 till 8.1 and yea it's legit my Aunt works at local college or well did till few weeks ago, she retired. Or I'd have her buy new 8.1 version of 8 she can get them for $22 after tax and everything. Anyway I guess I have it all setup but installing all programs and like you many many things needed. I USE my pc 2 dual hdtv tuners, hundreds of blu rays in folders my own personal netflix, games. And to think because I didn't know I basically did it ALL for nothing but the learning experience because as pointed out here ultra boot only really works if you shut down , which I NEVER do. Figures...but thanks again everyone for the tips and walking me through the crazy. Another day of installing things and I'll be right back to where I was and can then use built in tool to image a backup of this uefi install. Hopefully pain free from here. I won't be holding my breath.

I just really can't believe I did it all for nothing though haha...sigh.

Just when you think it's all good....first off I deleted like 10 years of downloads from the net , from clips I'd saved, to apps, to basically countless things, nothing major but a HUGE screwup...DAMN.

But anyway I had been using this method to backup C drive How to Create and Restore System Image Backups on Windows 8.1

But now it's freaking telling me there isn't enough space...um yea ok 1.6 TB isn't enough to store a damn backup huh....damn this is annoying. Oh and this ultra fast boot crap, yea right, doesn't boot up any faster than before with it enabled after all this non sense.....good times. Anyway idea why it's telling me there isn't enough space anyone? Grrr thanks in advance.

parsec is offline Senior Member

hdtv00, sorry, I was working today, just got back on this forum and see that Odie picked up where I left off, thanks for that dude!

Sorry I did not mention all the details that made you crazy, like your OS drive being listed in the BIOS boot order as Windows Boot Manager. That is normal for UEFI firmware (UEFI and BIOS is firmware for a mother board.) You also cannot normally backup a GPT/UEFI installation... but you know that now too.

Some tools work fine with GPT/UEFI backups, like the EaseUS program, free from here: Backup Software for data backup & disaster recovery in Windows Server/Workstation/PC - EaseUS

What do you think happens when you clone your UEFI booting OS installation to another drive, and have both in the PC, what is listed in Boot Order? You'll see two identical "Windows Boot Manager" entries, isn't that nice? I'm not sure if that is just the AMI UEFI that ASRock uses, or all UEFI's.

Also forgot to tell you, you can set CSM to enabled and that UEFI booting OS installation will boot fine, back to BIOS booting. That's when you'll see the difference in booting time, whether a restart or cold boot.

So you don't shutdown/cold boot very much... Ok, then why go through all the trouble setting up a UEFI booting OS? Uhmm, you said that too... Now THAT I DID tell you!

Yea I actually had already started the process when I seen your comment about only being faster from cold boot. By then it was to late to turn back basically so I went ahead with whole plan at that point, nightmares be damned haha.

So backing up and saving it on any drive installed just causes issue conflict huh. Figures I do have a usb 32 gig flash drive I could save it to I guess.

So now I should turn on CSM and then maybe boot time will actually improve and maybe restarting as well. I'll give it a try, will use that software link you gave to make boot backup too so thanks for that one. Cause yea clearly the way I was doing it some issue preventing it, even though clearly I had enough space.

And I didn't totally understand it no, but I don't need to understand every single thing to want/have better performance, see check out this video of a pc I built for my dad, its real short. ASRock Z77 Pro 3 insta boot - YouTube
    See I wanted that kind of speed booting and restarting , silly me I guess. But I figured with new haswell, samsung 840 pro and 16 gig 2133 ram I could at least be that fast too...because that's mind blowing. So much so I made the video and posted it because I couldn't believe it. And that's without all this darn GPT ultra fast boot stuff, that pc was just that fast on standard install with at the most fast boot enabled. Oh it wasn't even win 8 I'm pretty sure that was win 7

And thanks again for all your help and continued help.
    Last edited by hdtv00; 10-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information