Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misoriented my dimm during testing, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? RAM AND/OR MOBO

Default Misoriented my dimm during testing, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? RAM AND/OR MOBO

Reddit Thread:[Troubleshooting] Misoriented my dimm, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? : buildapc

Built the machine of my dreams thanks to this sub
    [1] Was having BSOD issues[2] When attempting to test my memory I misoriented the dimm and started the machine. I'm unsure what I've broken and I'm looking for anyone know who knows how to diagnostic if the Mobo dimm slots are still good and I just need new memory, or if I need a new motherboard also... Also looking for opinions if this ram[3] is optimal for my setup[4] Lastly, I'm also looking for advice on what to do about my CPU cooling situation, as once I get new memory, I'm uncertain of how to fit it in with my phanteks as discussed here[5] and here[6]

Thanks for the read!
    TLDR: Misoriented my dimm during testing, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? RAM AND/OR MOBO

Default Re: Misoriented my dimm during testing, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? RAM AND/OR MOBO

Misoriented? Meaning you put a stick(s?) in the slot with the "key' oriented the wrong way and the latches/locks weren't fastened/locked?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Default Re: Misoriented my dimm during testing, dr diag says 19, 53. Wat I break? RAM AND/OR MOBO

Misoriented as in I moved a RAM stick from slot D1 to A1 but was unaware A1s channel runs upside down so the ram was upside down. The stick fit, the latch closed, and now that I'm putting the RAM in correctly I'm seeing 53s. This makes me think the RAM is fried or the MOBO ram slots are cooked

Ahh, that X79 Extreme6 does have an oddly laid out two banks of slots.

Have you done a LONG BIOS reset?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

First, thank you for your quick replies! I've been having a meltdown without access to all my video games!

I've been in touch with a ASRock support staff and he mentioned doing a CMOS clear

After doing a CMOS clear, retesting each of my sticks, and still coming back with 53 error codes, I've broken down and purchased replacement RAM.

I'm not sure what a LONG bios reset is, but I'd be interested in testing this! Any documentation on how to go about doing it?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Wardog is referring to clearing the CMOS with the jumper, and removing the board's battery. Then let it sit like that for a while (10 minutes+) so any capacitors used by the CMOS chip for power discharge, so the CMOS chip completely loses power. Another little trick is carefully using a screwdriver to short the battery holder's + and - terminals, which helps discharge the capacitors. Doing this might cause any BIOS profiles you saved to be lost. Don't forget to reset any BIOS settings you need for your PC's configuration.

Error 53 is no memory, so that is not good. It worries me that all your RAM is not detected. Did you try only using the DIMMs that were not put in backwards?

I'm thinking that if the one DIMM you put in wrong was damaged, and nothing on the board/DIMM slots was damaged, the other DIMMs would be Ok. The DIMM put in wrong would (in general) have the DIMM slot's power connections connected to the DIMM's data connections, and vice versa. The potential bad situation is if the DIMM slot's power connections were connected to ground, or power was applied to the other DIMM's data connections, damaging them to.

The worst case situation is some of the components on the board that supply power to the DIMMs were damaged. Fixing that is virtually impossible and simply not done. At least the memory controller that is on the CPU was not damaged... I hope, the CPU seemed to pass its POST tests.

Regardless, my board's manual has this warning about installing memory:

The DIMM only fits in one correct orientation. It will cause permanent
    damage to the motherboard and the DIMM if you force the DIMM into
    the slot at incorrect orientation.

I haven't done any POST tests, i'd like to try that out! Any idea where to start with that?

I've been testing with the memory in slot a1 but I'm interested in testing with the other slots. Is that something I should do? Would the machine still boot if I'm only putting memory in slot b1?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Another little trick is carefully using a screwdriver to short the battery holder's + and - terminals, which helps discharge the capacitors.
    A much safer way to do this is, with the PSU disconnected from the wall/strip/power, is to wait 60secs and simply push the cases Power button. This will discharge the caps too.

CoolGuyJanaR, has all four of the sticks tested positive in slot A1?

JIC, from the manual:
    Code:
    1. Due to Intel® CPU spec definition, please install the memory modules
    on DDR3_A1, DDR3_B1, DDR3_C1 and DDR3_D1 for first
    priority. If the four DDR3 DIMM slots above are fully installed, and
    you want to use more than four memory modules, please install the
    other memory modules from left to right (from DDR3_A2, DDR3_
    B2, DDR3_D2 to DDR3_C2.)

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'm thinking that if the one DIMM you put in wrong was damaged, and nothing on the board/DIMM slots was damaged, the other DIMMs would be Ok. The DIMM put in wrong would (in general) have the DIMM slot's power connections connected to the DIMM's data connections, and vice versa. The potential bad situation is if the DIMM slot's power connections were connected to ground, or power was applied to the other DIMM's data connections, damaging them to.
    I'm thinking differently that you parsec. I'm thinking he placed one or more of the sticks out of the proper order, IOW the wrong slot, or out of order for the MB and or IMC to recognize.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I'm thinking differently that you parsec. I'm thinking he placed one or more of the sticks out of the proper order, IOW the wrong slot, or out of order for the MB and or IMC to recognize.
    I see, let's hope so. My scenario seems improbable, but that is how I interpreted the first post.

Boards can be different, dual channel boards normally suggest using the A2 and B2 slots first. The lesson here, always check the mobo manual!! Mixing say A1 and B2... not sure what that would even do, maybe we now know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information