Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 XMP profile and Dram frequency problem.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 XMP profile and Dram frequency problem.

Intel states the maximum DDR memory voltage is 1.5V, +/-%5, or 1.575V maximum for any Ivy Bridge processor. The CPU, or really the memory controller (IMC) is what is damaged by high DDR voltage.

Intel will tell you not to exceed 1.5V period. Many users do that and for long periods of time and seem fine. There is no simple answer for this, I can't tell you it is fine, but some people use more than 1.65V when attempting high OCs.

Try to reduce that voltage a little bit, usually you can choose 0.01V or less. Just see how low you can go.

We do know that memory is not on the compatibility list, so you're compensating by raising the voltage. If you want to use a lower voltage, lower the speed to 1600, the difference in performance between that and 1866 (or 2000) is zero in the vast majority of cases.

Assuming the reviewed sticks in the link below use the same IC's, there might be something of interest to digest in the review.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smart...mid=912&page=0
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thanks parsec, the info you shared confirms what ive read/heard. Interestingly enough Geil now lists these ramsticks at a working voltage of 1.65v..

I decided to do another test and set the timings as per Geils specifications of 10 10 10 32 @ 1.65v and have not had another crash since, with a total system uptime of 2 days, i also stress tested with AIDA64 and ran 7 successful pass's of Memtest86 with zero errors. This leads me to believe that these sticks were never really designed to be run at 1.5v, it was under volting them too much and they just cannot do it with any kind of stability which is why i think GEIL now lists them with a 1.65v rating. I intend to contact GEIL when i get some time off work and try to get some sort of explanation from them.

My system seems to be running better then ever now, and system/CPU temps have not changed at all so i think upping the DRAM to 1.65v wont kill the CPU any time soon.

-wardog-: Thanks for the link, yes i agree very interesting. I had actually seen it previously which gave me the idea to try different timings and higher Dram voltages to see if i could make these sticks run stable. In the end as i stated above, i just reverted back to 10 10 10 32 2T @ 1.65 and they now work as they should, it seems these sticks should according to the review run a bit faster with more overclocking but im just semi happy that they are now running stable. I do intend to follow this up with GEIL though as i feel a little duped being sold something that isnt really what it was supposed to be..(1.5v ram)

Cheers.

Hmmm ..... scratching head and re-reading the thread.

Have you tried adjusting the "CPU Load-Line Calibration" from 5, which I understand 5 to be Off or making no adjustments, to 3 or 2 ?
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Hi -wardog- no i haven't changed the cpu load line calibration setting, below are the BIOS settings ive been running successfully for close to the last 3 days now without one single blue screen or crash. Note that the XMP setting if left at AUTO does nothing..it just sets the ram to run 1333mhz @ 1.5v and if i try enabling the XMP profile it just crashes and wont boot. Manually setting the timings and Frequency to 1866/1:7, the Dram @ 1.65v is the only way i could get it to run stable, everything else ive left at default. I admit i am not an expert at tweaking memory settings just the basics really.

As a test, set the CPU LLC to 3 and follow by setting the RAM up as per the specs on the sticks stickers(ie: 1.5v), Save and reboot.

Does it boot and stay at 1866 1.5v, stable?

Note: DO NOT use/set an LLC of 1. Five through Two only.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    As a test, set the CPU LLC to 3 and follow by setting the RAM up as per the specs on the sticks stickers(ie: 1.5v), Save and reboot.
    Entering/setting the specs manually that is.

Also try the XMP profile that matches, while LLC is at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Entering/setting the specs manually that is.

Also try the XMP profile that matches, while LLC is at 3.
    -wardog-

Sorry for the late reply, i have tested now with CPU LLC settings 4 through 2 and it blue screened on all settings except LLC 2.

I have a question for you though, should i be worried using a LLC this high? as when i set the DRAM voltage i'm only upping the voltage to the ram, but doesn't upping the LLC setting increase voltage to the CPU also? ive tried researching it and all i can come up with is that CPU LLC is helpful in combating Vdroop in a heavily overclocked system ( which mine isnt btw) im a bit worried that the LLC 2 setting might boost the voltage a bit high?

Cheers.

-wardog-

CPU LLC 2 = Crashed also..looks like the only way it will run is with manual settings and DRAM @ 1.65v

Out on a limb here with this, yet, have you monitored your voltages with any of the widely available programs?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information