Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 XMP profile and Dram frequency problem.

Default Z77 Extreme6 XMP profile and Dram frequency problem.

Hi,
    I am having a few issues with my Z77 Extreme6 after updating the bios from 1.60 to 2.80 (current version)

My setup is an Intel 3570K CPU which ive been running with 2x8GB sticks of Geil Evo Veloce 1866mhz ram. With the previous Bios version (1.60) i set the XMP profile and this crashed the system at the desktop as soon as it booted, so to fix this i set the Dram XMP profile setup to AUTO and the Dram frequency to 1866 and then set the ram timings manually to the same speeds listed in my XMP profile which is 10-10-10-32 with a command rate of 2N which is what my ram specifies on the packaging. This worked perfectly and in the main page of the bios it showed my ram running at its correct speed of 1866mhz.

I ran the above setup for about a year with 100% stability until last nite when i decided to finally update the bios as i had been having a few minor USB issues and now i cannot get the ram to run at 1866 at all. I have tried every variation of settings to make it work but alas it boots to desktop and soon after or when i try shutting down or restarting it blue screens and reboots.

I also noticed that when i set the ram settings at AUTO and manually enter in the timings that they all enter correctly and the pc boots fine and is stable but when i check the bios on the main page my ram speed is only reading 1333mhz..it seems that the timings i enter are not changing the Dram frequency which is confusing as this worked perfectly in the 1.60 version Bios.

I also tried rolling back to the next earlier version BIOS (2.70) but i still get the same result, in desperation I even tried changing the ram into the alternate slots but i still get the same results..blue screen crash and reboot to desktop.

I had hoped to update the bios because some of the updates seemed useful. Is there anyone here with a solution to this problem or should i just roll back to Bios version 1.60?

Full PC setup as follows:
    Intel i5 Ivy 3570K processor
    Geil Evo Veloce x2 8GB CL 10-10-10-32 1.5v Ram
    Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    Corsair 650TX v2 PSU
    Last edited by Botfly75; 10-29-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Corrected info

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 XMP profile and Dram frequency problem.

BIOS 2.70 and 2.80 should be identical, except for the change in the Internet flash server, which explains their same behavior.

Is your Geil memory the GOC316GB1866C9DC model, the only 1866 8GB Geil listed in the Memory Support List?

You did not mention setting the memory voltage manually in your post, did you check the voltage if set to Auto, and when you chose XMP?

The second slot of each memory channel, A2 and B2, are the best to use when using two DIMMs as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    BIOS 2.70 and 2.80 should be identical, except for the change in the Internet flash server, which explains their same behavior.

Is your Geil memory the GOC316GB1866C9DC model, the only 1866 8GB Geil listed in the Memory Support List?

You did not mention setting the memory voltage manually in your post, did you check the voltage if set to Auto, and when you chose XMP?

The second slot of each memory channel, A2 and B2, are the best to use when using two DIMMs as you are.
    Hi parsec,

Yes i see that now.

My Geil Memory is the GEV316GB1866C10DC models and they were not on the supported memory list when i built this rig. I didn't adjust the voltage, it was set at auto and was reading 1.5v which should be fine as these ram modules are 1.5v sticks.

While i was waiting i reflashed to 1.70 and now its working fine again. I have set the XMP profile to AUTO and Dram speed to 1866, and then inside DRAM options set the timings manually and it is now stable again?? i guess whatever changes to the BIOS have been made from 1.60 are affecting how these ram modules work in this motherboard??

I can post some screenshots of my current BIOS setup if that will help?

Cheers.

P.s also tried BIOS version 2.30 with same result..repeated blue screen crash whenever i tried setting 1866mhz
    Last edited by Botfly75; 10-29-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Seems i spoke too soon, while i was in the bios taking screen shots it blue screened again

I made some changes to the DRAM timings options and rebooted to see if they will work..i'll post some pics in a moment.

Okay so here's what i just tried which previously worked with 1.60 but does'nt seem to with this BIOS.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I don't see anything wrong with your memory settings, most are auto or on spec. I did notice something on Geil's page for your memory:

PC3-14900 1866MHz C8, C9 & C10 EVO VELOCE DUAL CHANNEL - Products - GeIL Memory

It shows 1.65V for your memory. Could be a typo, copy - paste mistake, I can't find more detailed specs. Ever run CPU-Z and check the SPD tab to see the XMP and other JEDEC data programmed into your memory?

Something seems to have changed in a BIOS update, but who knows what? I would try increasing the voltage to the memory, to say 1.525V - 1.55V.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with your memory settings, most are auto or on spec. I did notice something on Geil's page for your memory:

PC3-14900 1866MHz C8, C9 & C10 EVO VELOCE DUAL CHANNEL - Products - GeIL Memory

It shows 1.65V for your memory. Could be a typo, copy - paste mistake, I can't find more detailed specs. Ever run CPU-Z and check the SPD tab to see the XMP and other JEDEC data programmed into your memory?

Something seems to have changed in a BIOS update, but who knows what? I would try increasing the voltage to the memory, to say 1.525V - 1.55V.
    Hi again parsec, i think its a typo on Geils site. Here are some CPU-Z screenshots showing my ram SPD/XMP profile/voltages ect. As you can see they are definitely 1.5v ram sticks i made sure of this when i bought them.

I am having issues now even with the 1.60 BIOS..the ram just will not run stable at 1866 at all now. I have run one complete pass with Memtest86 and it came up as a pass with zero errors..so i am now confused as to whats going on here. I did notice that there was a new Firmware update for my Samsung SSD so i updated this hoping it may fix the problem but alas no change.

I also installed Bluescreenview to try to decode the blues screen errors i am receiving and mostly they seem to point to a corrupt driver file or bad memory. I may have to try running Memtest for a full 7 pass's to see if i can get an error to show? i am at the point of trying a fresh OS install but i want to Memtest again before i go to this extent. I will try your voltage suggestions and report back my findings.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Botfly75; 10-29-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo

Okay so! we have a result of sorts.

I first tried your Dram Voltage setting of 1.525v with timings of 10 10 10 32 2N and the result was a blue screen during boot, so i then reset the BIOS to default and tried again with the 1.55v Dram setting and the PC booted straight into windows. I let it sit for 15mins and it stayed running fine so i rebooted to check the final BIOS settings and discovered i had accidentally set the timings @ 10 10 10 24 2N..this got me thinking, so i tried some looser timings 9 10 9 28 2N. The PC booted to desk but for some odd reason the temps in Core Temp were reading around 53-56 which is a long way up from the 38-39 it usually idles on, so i decided to reboot to see if it would change.

This time the PC crashed during reboot and gave the windows repair error so i rebooted and reset the BIOS back to default and it once again booted to desk..i then rebooted to BIOS and set timings at 10 10 10 28 2N with frequency @ 1866 and Dram voltage at 1.55v and BINGO we have a result! its been idling fine at 38-39 degrees for the last 15 mins and i have restarted it multiple times without one crash so far.

Here are the final BIOS settings i have settled on for now.

Next step is to test some later version BIOS files, feel free to add any feedback or input you may have please parsec as i would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Cheers.

Update: PC is still crashing..i set the DRAM at 1.65v and it remains stable for much longer but still randomly blue screens. I have even tried a fresh OS install but no dice..it still crashes!! heeeeelp. Im thinking that i will try some other ram sticks next as im at my wits end with this problem.

Update: I have reflashed to BIOS v2.80 and set the Dram at 1.65v, the Dram Frequency to 1866 and timings to 10 10 10 30 2N and it has been 100% stable running AIDA64 for 2 hours!. I Think its safe to say that these ram sticks do not like the XMP Profile settings they come with on this particular board. I am a bit nervous about running 1.65v on the DRAM but i hear from many sources that it is quite acceptable for this Board and CPU? can anyone advise if this is true?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information