Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: M8 With GTX 780?

Default M8 With GTX 780?

Hey all,

I've been thinking bout getting the Asrock M8 barebone system. I would like to put GTX 780 in it.. But I've came across this:

From Tomshardware review:

ASRock recommends a graphics power limit of 200 W, probably because each of the PSU's two rails has a 216 W limit.

And here's GTX 780 official webpage:

Graphics Card Power: 250 W (W)
    Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 600 W

So they recommend limit of 200W and 780 is 250W. That means it will actually work I think but how well? Will it over heat real fast and just die? As well, it recommends minimum system power of 600W but the M8 has 450W, another problem?

Ive looked at maybe getting AMD R9 290X but from what I understood, the power consumption of 290X is 300W. Is that correct?

Edit: Found this when comparing 780 to 770:

Power consumption Max TDP
    GTX 770: 230W
    GTX 780: 250W

Ive seen a M8 with 770 in it which is 30W more than the recommended..

Thanks all for the help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: M8 With GTX 780?

Your analysis of the M8 and a GTX 770 is accurate, given all their specs. If the PSU is a dual rail design, that will be worse than a single rail design in this situation.

You read this, but I'll include it here from the M8's specs:

Max. Supported VGA Dimension: 290mm x 137mm x 43.5mm; Max. Supported TDP: 200W.
    If you use a graphics card with over 200W TDP, please note that the system’s power supply is only 450W.

A 770 or 780 will no doubt basically work in this PC (if it fits physically), as in boot up, run a browser and do typical PC tasks.

The PSU limit becomes a problem when gaming, when the video card is truly stressed. If (when) the demands of the game such as the settings you use for it, the display resolution, etc, plus whatever else is using power in the PC (mainly the CPU) exceeds the power output of the PSU, then problems will occur.

Best case situation, the PC will just restart. No one can guarantee that this will always happen. At that time the PSU will be hot and stressed to its limit.

If the PSU's over power protection is not good, it could be damaged. Other parts of the PC could be damaged too if the PSU fails.

PCs like this are designed for a certain physical size PSU, meaning you can't replace it easily. The case uses four 70mm fans for cooling, which are small and won't move much air. Heat will be a problem when gaming with a 780 in this PC.

Bottom line, using a 780 in it will be a gamble. The PSU is definitely to small for most gaming with a 780. The M8 is not designed for use with high end video cards.

Hey there

Thank you very much for the detailed response.

Unfortunately it seems M8 would not fit my needs then but I appreciate your help.

Thank you

parsec is offline Senior Member

Sorry dude, but what can I say? I don't want you to get burned with a bad purchase.

We don't even know if the PSU has two eight pin PCI-E power cables, which a 770 or 780 would require. A 760 requires one six and one eight pin power cable.

That barebones PC sells for $550 in the USA. For that money you could spend:

Case: $125 Mother board: $150 PSU: $125 Total: $400 That's $150 left for memory, etc, which you must buy with the M8 too.

Sure the M8 case looks cool, but it is small. Yes the system has some cool looking features, but do those matter when gaming?

Hey parsec,

I really appreciate your feedback. It was very elaborated and detailed.
    Thank you

Im thinking of getting Digital Storm Bolt level 3.. Which basically means i7, hdd, ssd, GTX 780 etc... Not good looking like the M8 but still slim and has top tech in it. Any thoughts?

ibuypower is selling one with GTX 770. Does it mean it should be safe?
    ASRock M8: iBUYPOWER® Gaming PC

Thread Information