Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PWM fan controller

RickJP909 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: PWM fan controller

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Do you mean this Akasa fan: 120 mm Fan Roundup, Part 2: 1350 RPM or Higher Rotation Speed - X-bit labs

I mentioned that there are other fan reviews at that site, that particular one is from 1/2011, so farther back in their list of cooling reviews. Don't stop there, more after that one, and one or two before it.

Yet another site, with no where near as many fans, but worth a look is this: silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers

I'm partial to Scythe fans, mainly the PWM models, and some three pin models. But Scythe has not been available in the US for a while now, so hard to find.

I've used those new Corsair fans, including their new PWM models. Of course they are not silent at full speed (over 2000 RPM) but are pretty quiet at lower speeds. I'm using one Scythe Slip Stream PWM fan and one Corsair SP120 PWM High Performance Edition in push-pull on a H80 AIO liquid cooler. Using Level 1 of the ASRock fan speed control, at idle they both run at a bit under 700 RPM (sorry Jabba!)

I like the Corsair 140mm models for case fans, they move a decent amount of air and are above average quiet. I can run them at full speed (~1000RPM) and they are not very noisy. Corsair does have some 120mm blue LED fans, in their Air Flow series, all three pin case fans.
    Yes, after I posted that I went off to the X-bit labs site and found exactly that article and I've had a hunt around since so thanks. According to that article, my Akasa Viper is "an average fan" however it just goes to show you that if you look at the figures obtained and then compare it to the fans in the later review, it would've been sitting in the top few! On that basis, it proves that you can't really compare the figures obtained in one review with another as some of the test conditions may have been different and/or the measuring instruments for that matter so it's very much relative.

And yes again, as I also found in those reviews that the Corsair fans seem to consistently score/perform well and yes, I've noticed that they do a range of LED fans but those aren't PWM controlled unfortunately.

I'm also running two fans in a push-pull configuration.

After having considered the points in those articles, I've decided to keep my Akasa Viper as it least it does work between 600 and 1900rpm, is PWM controlled and is also quiet at about 1000rpm and while not the best, it still shifts a decent amount of air. However, I'm going to get one of those Cosair AF LED fans and use it with this device:

Asetek Fan Speed Controller Kit Review

Weirdly, my mainboard only has a header for 2 PWM fans, one of which is for the CPU. I did think that on a board like the Extreme 4, that's a bit of a cost-saving measure as just 1 more PWM header would've been perfect as surely that's all most people want, PWM control for front and rear fans!

BTW, thanks for all your help Parsec.
    Last edited by RickJP909; 11-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

jabba is offline Junior Member

No mother board made by anyone is perfect, and IMO, ASRock boards tend to have somewhat simpler fan speed control software compared to other manufactures.
    Now it is clear, just by connecting it to 3 pin CHA_FAN2 (3-pin CHA_FAN2 supports Fan Control) can drop to 200 RPM with voltage 6.1/6.2 Volt:

PWM fan controller-screenshot011-jpg

RickJP909 is offline Junior Member

Well done Jabba, glad you got it sorted.

You've just given me an idea as I've also got a 3-pin CHA_FAN2 & CHA_FAN3 but I didn't think they could be controlled as the only option is to adjust the Level for the Target Speed in both, the BIOS & the AXTU.

Are you telling me that control actually adjusts the voltage output to the fan making it variable even if it is a manual adjustment?

I thought I'd tried that on another Akasa fan I had and it didn't work! I'll have to try it again and if that works, I won't need to bother with that expansion slot fan controller kit I mentioned!

Happy days...

Quote Originally Posted by RickJP909
    Are you telling me that control actually adjusts the voltage output to the fan making it variable even if it is a manual adjustment?
    Yes lowers the voltage.

If the food with 5 Volt works but the fan does not operate the PWM: that part to 6.5 Volts.

The controller ASRock does not give the possibility to have a Duty Cycle starting from 0% ...

Quote Originally Posted by RickJP909
    Happy days...
    Thank

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickJP909 View Post
    Well done Jabba, glad you got it sorted.

You've just given me an idea as I've also got a 3-pin CHA_FAN2 & CHA_FAN3 but I didn't think they could be controlled as the only option is to adjust the Level for the Target Speed in both, the BIOS & the AXTU.

I thought I'd tried that on another Akasa fan I had and it didn't work! I'll have to try it again and if that works, I won't need to bother with that expansion slot fan controller kit I mentioned!

Happy days...
    Yes that should work, I use those options all the time. Don't forget that Jabba and I have Intel Z77 chipset boards, and yours is AMD, but I would hope ASRock has put the same control in each board.

The amount of control varies depending upon the particular fan header. Any headers that just have the four different level settings are completely manual, the ones with ten levels are either an automatically controlled PWM four pin header, and one ten level manual setting header. Again, that is how it is on my ASR Z77 board.

My new ASR Z87 board has improved fan speed control, with features not found on the Z77 boards. Besides one completely manually controlled four level three pin fan header, there are one four pin PWM header, and one three pin header with automatic speed control, based on temperature/fan speed percentage settings. Those headers, and the two CPU fan headers, also have a "FAN Test" button (only in the Windows utility) that tests the fan for minimum to maximum speeds, a calibration for a fan. You then can create a fan speed "curve" or graph to set the fan speed versus temperature.

This calibrated fan speed setting is something I've used before on... some older boards made by another manufacture. This technique is optimal for use with all fans and their varying electrical specs, and of course is what Jabba would like (ought) to have.

Jabba, if you still want to try lowering your Nexus fan's speed using AXTU, I might have found a way to do that. Let me know if you are interested.

Jabba, if you still want to try lowering your Nexus fan's speed using AXTU, I might have found a way to do that. Let me know if you are interested.
    Of course you do

Quote Originally Posted by jabba View Post
    Of course you do
    It works what you have written

If you want you can publish because it works

Then i place the details ...

Last edited by jabba; 11-25-2013 at 06:31 AM.

HTML Code:
    <FAN1Control Enable="1">
            <Item Value="1">Level 1</Item>
            <Item Value="98">Level 2</Item>
            <Item Value="116">Level 3</Item>
            <Item Value="134">Level 4</Item>
            <Item Value="152">Level 5</Item>
            <Item Value="170">Level 6</Item>
            <Item Value="188">Level 7</Item>
            <Item Value="206">Level 8</Item>
            <Item Value="224">Level 9</Item>
            <Item Value="255">Level 10</Item>
        </FAN1Control>
    HTML Code:
    <Item Value="1">Level 1</Item>
    Default = 80

If eg = 10 > about 900 RPM ecc.

Important: PWM controlled (with Speedfan isn't possible ...)

Sent you a PM with new information.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information