Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I want to install Linux Mint by itself (no dual boot), but worried about Secure Boot

Default I want to install Linux Mint by itself (no dual boot), but worried about Secure Boot

Hey guys,

I don't want Windows 8 on a future computer of mines, but the GNU/Linux distro, Linux Mint, does not allow Secure Boot.

I am planning to buy an Asrock FM2A55M-DGS motherboard, and I am looking to see if turning off Secure Boot will cause problems.

Again, I don't want Windows 8, or any Windows for that matter.

Reading the manual for that particular motherboard just now, I saw two options: Secure Boot Control and Secure Boot policy. Do I turn off Secure Boot Control, or do I have to go in to the Secure Boot Policy and turn off all the settings inside, or do I do both?

This is my first post here, so please be lenient. I hope to stay and learn from the best and give back by sharing my knowledge.

Thanks for your attention.

Default Re: I want to install Linux Mint by itself (no dual boot), but worried about Secure Boot

Hey Rob:

The only reason you see secure boot policy is because secure boot was enabled in the manual, you won't see it, you will only see secure boot control, which you leave disabled.

Secure boot is only in the BIOS/UEFI because of win 8 for win 8, if you're not running win 8 or 8.1, don't worry about it.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions please ask.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-07-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Default Re: I want to install Linux Mint by itself (no dual boot), but worried about Secure Boot

Does the UEFI leave Secure Boot Control disabled by default, or if, after installing a GNU/Linux OS, I have to disable it then and there?

The default value is enabled, and you make all your BIOS settings before you install the OS so you can disable it. But unless you install win 8, secure boot won't work without it, it's designed for win 8.
    If the OS isn't detected as win 8, it won't force a secure boot. Same as if you installed win 7, win 7 doesn't have secure boot.

If I install anything other than Windows 8 or 8.1, do I just disable Secure Boot Control and nothing else?

Sorry if this question is too stupid, and I thank you for your patience.

No question is stupid, we weren't born as PC nerds.

Most boards I have seen will disable secure unless win 8 is installed.

So YES, make sure it's disabled, to answer your question.

Before you install any OS ( Linux) just go to the secure boot controller, and disable it, that's all. You will only see the options for secure boot when it's enabled.

This only pertains to secure boot, I have no clue about this board, the hardware on it, and what drivers will load for Linux.

Remember, asrock does not post Linux drivers. I suggest you search this board on google, and see if anyone has loaded Linux, you should look at the hardware on it and see what hardware MGF make Linux drivers.

Get as much info as you can, you might find you have hardware you want to use, but can't get a driver to work.

If you have questions about drivers for the hardware, you should make a new post, and also I would post on the site where you get the OS from, here (mint, GNU ) you will have people who are using it and can give you better answers.

It's sad that so many people run windows, this has caused most everything to be made for it, so it's hard to run Linux on new boards.

Here is a post that shows some boards that run Linux well, as an example. You can look through and see if there is hardware same as your. Just as an idea.

Motherboards | Linux.com
    Last edited by odiebugs; 11-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

RobertX, If you are worried that Secure Boot won't allow you to install Linux, don't be, you won't have any problem with that. Odiebugs has given you great advice and I agree with everything he said.

You might be thinking about the controversy about Windows 8 and Microsoft's policy concerning Secure Boot, just before Windows 8 was released. That is, that MSoft/Windows 8/Secure Boot would not allow any other OS to be installed. There are two main reasons you don't need to be worried:

1. MSoft backed off from what was (or possibly what never was their real policy) the policy of locking out any other OS usage besides Windows 8 on PCs certified for or sold with that OS. In reality this policy would have only applied to PC OEMs that sold all in one PCs (from tablets to laptops to desktops) with Windows 8 pre-installed, and were required by MSoft to have Secure Boot enabled, and I assume no way to disable it in the PC's BIOS. It's the inability to disable Secure Boot that is the key to this issue.

2. PCs that we build ourselves with mother boards like you want to buy, can use any OS that is compatible with that hardware. Although the board is MSoft oriented in its standard drivers, programs, etc, MSoft cannot control hardware manufactures to the extent of "banning" the use of any other OS with their products. ASRock and other mother board manufactures provide Secure Boot as a standard option in their BIOS'. My latest ASRock board, and some earlier ones, have Secure Boot disabled by default, but even if it was enabled by default, it is easily disabled. There aren't any mother boards sold that have Secure Boot set up in their BIOS and enabled, without an option to disable or configure it, AFAIK.

If you buy the Asrock FM2A55M-DGS mother board, you'll find there is more to Secure Boot than simply enabling or disabling it. Once enabled, it must be configured, mainly by installing the security keys. Those keys are what actually block other programs from running on a PC. So unless Secure Boot is enabled and configured with the security keys, with no way to disable it, nothing exists to stop you from installing Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    If you buy the Asrock FM2A55M-DGS mother board, you'll find there is more to Secure Boot than simply enabling or disabling it. Once enabled, it must be configured, mainly by installing the security keys. Those keys are what actually block other programs from running on a PC. So unless Secure Boot is enabled and configured with the security keys, with no way to disable it, nothing exists to stop you from installing Linux.
    So I just leave it alone, is that what you're saying?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes, but just check that it is disabled, which it should be. I have two new model ASRock boards and they both have Secure Boot disabled by default. But worth checking once that it is disabled, then forget about it.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate that you guys took your free time, patience, and kindness to answer my questions.

A tribute to the forum.

Thread Information