Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7

    Default UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    Hi. I bought this motherboard (H81M) as I upgraded my Arcade Cabinet PC. I didn't realise there is a 'new' type of bios UEFI. I'm using an ArcadeVGA 3000 video card which is a modified ATI card which allows you to output the video signal to an Arcade monitor/TV i.e very low resolution. I can see the post screen, but when I enter the BIOS the screen goes black and it appears the signal is out of range. Is there an option to view the BIOS at the 'normal' BIOS resolution? Or is there a BIOs upgrade that can fix this or is there a version that is just the 'standard' BIOs not the UEFI?

    Thanks!

    Matt
    Last edited by WalkToFreedom; 11-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    Matt, I'm not familiar with your problem but see if this thread, specifically the second to last post from the OP, offers you any hope.

    ArcadeVGA 3000, UEFI, and Nanao 2931 (with a helping of J-PAC)
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  3. #3
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    The answer to all three of your questions is no, sorry to say. As you likely know, the trend in all displays is towards higher resolution. The lowest resolution I can choose using the Intel 4600 graphics is 1024 x 768, which is beyond what you need. That of course is with the graphics driver installed.

    Frankly, it seems as if the maker of your card knows it may not display a UEFI-BIOS screen correctly, to quote from the product page:

    "Displays all boot and Windows screens on the arcade monitor and/or PC monitor. Displays Windows desktop in a choice of resolutions including interlaced and non-interlaced."

    The only suggestion I have would be to try the onboard graphics of your... unknown processor, but don't install or let Windows install a graphics driver for the onboard graphics. That will at least give you the lowest resolutions possible without your video card. This way the UEFI-BIOS might be able to be displayed on your specialty monitor, as well as the Windows desktop, etc. You might need to lower the default resolution in this configuration too, or create a custom one if Windows allows you to do that in the Display settings.

    You also might be able to use this program to increase the resolution of your CRT display, but do so at your own risk!!!

    Welcome to Ultimarc, the Ultimate in Arcade Controls.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    Hi. Thanks for your response. I thought that might be the case, but had to ask. I filled in the hardware related questions when I signed up so I thought they would be displayed automatically? Hardware: H81M i3-4130 8GB Cosair DC 1600mhz (2x 4gb). FYI, there is no problem displaying windows, it's just the BIOs screen. Fortunately the video card has a secondary output (DVI) so I bought a monitor home from work and to my surprise it displayed the BIOS on both monitors. So after reading the thread again that *wardog* suggested it seems the EDID data is being read from the LCD essentially say 'it can handle the res' how that relates to the VGA port I'm not sure. You say the default resolution is 1024 x 768, I guess it is that as clearly it's interlaced on the TV screen and there is quite a lot of scrolling to access the entire menu.

    I have already spoken to the maker of the card and he said he is going to investigate, maybe with the information in this thread and the other *wardog* mentioned it might be possible to do a video card driver tweak?

    Thanks,

    Matt

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Matt, I'm not familiar with your problem but see if this thread, specifically the second to last post from the OP, offers you any hope.

    ArcadeVGA 3000, UEFI, and Nanao 2931 (with a helping of J-PAC)
    Hi. Wardog, thanks for your response. I had already read that thread, but started to get lost when they started talking about grub and linux kernels. Still I did re-read it and think I managed to figure a few things out?? See my response above. (Missed the security question so had to re-post) Thanks!
    Last edited by WalkToFreedom; 11-12-2013 at 02:26 PM.

  6. #6
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkToFreedom View Post
    Hi. Thanks for your response. I thought that might be the case, but had to ask. I filled in the hardware related questions when I signed up so I thought they would be displayed automatically? Hardware: H81M i3-4130 8GB Cosair DC 1600mhz (2x 4gb). FYI, there is no problem displaying windows, it's just the BIOs screen. Fortunately the video card has a secondary output (DVI) so I bought a monitor home from work and to my surprise it displayed the BIOS on both monitors. So after reading the thread again that *wardog* suggested it seems the EDID data is being read from the LCD essentially say 'it can handle the res' how that relates to the VGA port I'm not sure. You say the default resolution is 1024 x 768, I guess it is that as clearly it's interlaced on the TV screen and there is quite a lot of scrolling to access the entire menu.

    I have already spoken to the maker of the card and he said he is going to investigate, maybe with the information in this thread and the other *wardog* mentioned it might be possible to do a video card driver tweak?

    Thanks,

    Matt
    I understood that you only had a problem seeing the UEFI display on your arcade display, that is the issue you made clear in your first post, so I'm confused why you think otherwise.

    What I meant about the 1024 x 768 resolution being the lowest available with the Intel graphics driver installed, is when most video hardware sources do not have their drivers installed, they default to a very low resolution on the display device, which may not be the lowest resolution that is possible to select. Meaning you might be able to choose yet a lower resolution that your arcade monitor could deal with, if you tried the Intel graphics. Your special video card is in a class of its own, a specialty item.

    Regardless, even newer HD televisions when used as PC monitors have resolution setting requirements that don't match those of PC monitors in many cases. Those TVs must have the resolution manually set for optimal usage.

    Given your experience with the PC monitor you borrowed, it seems that your arcade display communicates nothing back to the video source via the VGA connection, nor would I expect an analog display to be capable of communicating with a digital video source. The PC monitor gave the PC the information it was lacking before the video card's driver is able to take over when the OS starts.

    You bring a question to my mind, can CRT displays (over generalizing of course) do progressive scanning? Your card must be set to interlaced rather than progressive scanning anyway for it to function with your arcade display. Some video sources drivers and software allow selecting interlaced or progressive scanning, but that is becoming more rare. My new video cards don't even have VGA outputs, I only wish PC monitors did not waste an input with a VGA connection that I'll never use.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: UEFI resolution too high! Can I see normal BIOS?

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I understood that you only had a problem seeing the UEFI display on your arcade display, that is the issue you made clear in your first post, so I'm confused why you think otherwise.

    What I meant about the 1024 x 768 resolution being the lowest available with the Intel graphics driver installed, is when most video hardware sources do not have their drivers installed, they default to a very low resolution on the display device, which may not be the lowest resolution that is possible to select. Meaning you might be able to choose yet a lower resolution that your arcade monitor could deal with, if you tried the Intel graphics. Your special video card is in a class of its own, a specialty item.

    Regardless, even newer HD televisions when used as PC monitors have resolution setting requirements that don't match those of PC monitors in many cases. Those TVs must have the resolution manually set for optimal usage.
    Yes, that is correct. So to be very clear the problem is only with the BIOs not displaying, after the POST it loads windows, the default driver is loaded (as I have not installed the custom drivers for my card yet) and the screen is displayed at 640x480 interlaced. Once I install the correct drivers for my video card it is capable of displaying a range of resolutions interlaced and progressive. I don't see any reason for installing the Intel video drivers as I never intend on using them?

    Given your experience with the PC monitor you borrowed, it seems that your arcade display communicates nothing back to the video source via the VGA connection, nor would I expect an analog display to be capable of communicating with a digital video source. The PC monitor gave the PC the information it was lacking before the video card's driver is able to take over when the OS starts.
    Yes, I believe this is the case, which is what I was meaning about the EDID. What I don't understand is once the EDID is read from the LCD, the signal is also output the VGA port and I can see it on my arcade monitor at what looks like 640x480 interlaced. (Which is great and what I want, but I don't want to have an LCD connected to do so)

    You bring a question to my mind, can CRT displays (over generalizing of course) do progressive scanning? Your card must be set to interlaced rather than progressive scanning anyway for it to function with your arcade display. Some video sources drivers and software allow selecting interlaced or progressive scanning, but that is becoming more rare. My new video cards don't even have VGA outputs, I only wish PC monitors did not waste an input with a VGA connection that I'll never use.
    Yes. That is the reason for buying this card as it can display native arcade game resolutions i.e 320x240 progressive. Basically I think its a tweak of the ATI catalyst drivers.

    Thanks,

    Matt

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •