Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Struggling with Raid 1 on ASROCK Z87M

Highlander_JEB is offline Junior Member

Default Struggling with Raid 1 on ASROCK Z87M

I have posted this on another forum, but have just come across this one for the first time, so am wondering if someone could help please?

I have a SSD and 2 x 1TB HDDs. Want my OS on the SSD and hardware Raid 1 for data on the other 2 HDDs.

I left the 2 HDD unplugged and set my BIOS to AHCI. Installed Win 7 on the SSD and loaded all drivers etc.

Plugged in the 2 x HDDs. Went into BIOS and changed to RAID. Created Raid 1 on the 2 HDDs.

Reboot - won't boot up and back into the bios I don't have the option to change the boot sequence.

Would appreciate any pointers on where I may be going wrong here please.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Struggling with Raid 1 on ASROCK Z87M

Your problem was installing Windows in AHCI mode, and then trying to change to RAID mode afterwards. A basic RAID usage error.

Also, do you have the Intel IRST driver installed for your board?

This can be fixed with either a manual registry edit, or use the tool found here: Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive

Which basically does the same thing as the registry edit. You'll need to change to AHCI mode first, download and run the tool, then reboot into the BIOS, change to RAID mode, save and exit, and you should be fine afterwards. You would also follow this procedure if you did the manual registry edit.

It is always easiest to set the SATA mode to RAID when installing Windows, even if you don't intend to use a RAID array at first or at all. You still get all the features of AHCI mode with single, non-RAID drives, and can use RAID any time.

You could install Windows again in RAID mode, but the fix above does not suffer from any drawbacks.

benryan is offline Junior Member

I made the same mistake on Windows 8.1 with my ASRock Z87 Extreme4 board, a Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb SSD and a pair of WD Green 1Tb HDDs.

I did the OS install with just the SSD attached, which I had read prevents the possibility of Windows creating a system partition on the HDDs instead of the SSD. I then installed the various drivers, powered-down, connected the HDDs, powered into the BIOS, set the SATA mode to RAID, configured the HDD pair as RAID 1 volume using the Intel BIOS utility, tried to boot Windows which failed, set the SATA mode back to AHCI, booted Windows again, which this time worked, the RAID 1 volume also appeared to be working, appearing correctly in Disk Management etc. However, the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" windows utility could not see the RAID 1 volume and was also reporting disk errors on some "unknown" device. Eventually, my system crashed (while re-starting after doing a Windows Update). So I re-installed as above, got the same issue again, so I disconnected the HDDs, searched the ASRock documentation with no luck, and started searching the web for what to do.

Came across the very helpful thread. So, thank you!

The Microsoft support KB article referenced above is for Windows 7, the equivalent Windows 8 article is "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error message after you install a third-party ATA-miniport driver or change the SATA mode of the boot drive on Windows 8-based computer

I followed Scenario 2 although I switched from AHCI to RAID mode, not IDE mode.

Highlander_JEB is offline Junior Member

I started again with my build over the weekend but no joy with the fix. No matter what I did I couldn't get this to work. In the end I have just enabled a software raid 1 rather then hardware. Really annoyed that I couldn't get this to work as I bought this MOBO so that I could get a hardware raid enabled.

benryan is offline Junior Member

Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. After following parsec's suggestions, it seems to have worked for me, although it has only been place for about 18 hours. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is no longer reporting any disk drive errors. So, fingers crossed, it looks stable.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Thanks benryan, I had to use the manual fix myself at one time when I decided to try a RAID volume, but had installed in AHCI mode. If your drives are in good shape, there is no reason why it should fail now.

I've had RAID 0 arrays of SSDs for the OS volume, at one point I had four SSDs in RAID 0 for the OS. You can just keep adding them after you get the initial RAID 0 volume configured. It kept on working for so long (about one year), I had to remove them to re-purpose the mother board. Actually, the RAID configuration data on each of the SSDs was so robust, and Windows won't let you format them if they were (part) of an OS drive, I had to use the diskpart program in a CMD window to "clean" the SSDs of all traces of the previous RAID data before I could use them again.

I've had RAID volumes of various types on all my PCs, using the Intel RAID feature, always worked fine. The key of course is installing Windows in RAID mode, or performing the one time registry edit, install the Intel AHCI/RAID driver prior to that, then restart into the BIOS/UEFI, change to RAID mode, save and exit. Boot into Windows which then uses the RAID driver, and you're done.

I've used the Intel RAID hardware and software on X58, P67, Z77, and now Z87 chipset boards, and they all worked fine. There has been a case or two of Intel drivers causing problems with the RAID volumes after they are created. The latest glitchy driver was IRST 12.6, which Intel even removed from their download page.

Which version of IRST are you using? Since you are using Win 8.1, I assume you are using IRST 12.8, which is currently listed on your board's download page. ASRock did have IRST 12.6 listed for a while, originally for their Z87 boards, even after Intel removed it, but now have 12.8. If you have 12.6 installed, don't worry, just download the IRST 12.8 installer and run it, reboot and you're done.

I'm having the same problem but unfortunately this solution didn't work. I suspect that's because I have different setup so I have setup a separate post.

For a solution for FM2A88M Extreme 4 board (or an AMD board) and Windows 8.1 Pro check out:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...ndows-8-a.html

Thread Information