Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FM2A75 Pro4 halts at 4F

dompaulh is offline Junior Member

Default Re: FM2A75 Pro4 halts at 4F

OK guys.
    I'm about to get a better PSU. But first let me confirm:-

Relevant System Specs are now published.
    I've recently built a Z77 system with a Gigabyte board and that uses Corsair DDR3 modules. They're very similar to the ones in this ASRock system and I've tested using the Gigabyte ones with the same 4F failure.
    I've tested with only one module (as suggested).
    Components in use in current testing are as shown in the Spec, with no attachments to case connectors, save for mounting screws -just as wardog suggests. Cannot borrow another PSU, will have to buy, but because of the cost am anxious that its not good money after bad, which is why I seem super-protective about the PSU, and why I return to my earlier queries about DXE. The way I read the explanation of the DXE processes indicates that at 4F the system's done its initial checks and now wants to ensure that its hardware is 'kosher', as it were. [Note the subsequent Dr Debug error codes are for Memory initialisation, CPU validity, etc].
    So the basic question (if the PSU is naff) is:- what's required of it at this point?

Is swapping the PSU from the Gigabyte system to the A75 system a PITA, if only for testing purposes?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Check out Choosing the motherboard(gigabyte) and CPU., post #6 for suggestions to find a power supply that will meet your needs.

On my side of the pond:
    • Seasonic has the G750-SSR-750RM and the S 12G-750 Gold Certified models for $100 - $115.
    • XFX has four 750 watt models with Bronze, Silver or Gold ratings for $85 - $120.
    • Some NZXT models and a few other brands sell power supplies that are made by Super Flower and these models are also excellent.
    • Some Antec and Corsair power supplies are made by Seasonic.

There are several other psu brands or models that are highly rated by the best psu review sites.
    You need to spend some time reading psu reviews to ensure that you are buying a modern, highly rated psu that will meet your needs.
    The better quality power supplies come with a five year warranty and some Platinum certified power supplies have a seven year warranty.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

dompaulh is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Re: FM2A75 Pro4 halts at 4F

Problem solved!
    My genuine thanks to all who took the trouble to comment and particularly wardog and profJim.

I've got egg all over my face and feel very stupid about this, but here's the solution, following advice about minimal config from ASRock Tech Support.

I had shorted the pwrbtn pins on the System Panel Header, but ASRock Tech Support explicitly advised to use the Power Button, so I disconnected my jumper and used the connector pair onto my case button.

When trying and being unsuccessful in using my original (ie, pre-RMA board) I had received the 4f error, so I googled for advice and discovered a recommendation for minimal configuration which advised to remove ALL case connections and –because this board has its own On/Off switch- jumper the pwrbtn and use the board’s own switch. I continued to get the 4F error, so returned the board to my supplier.

When I got the new (ie, RMA’d) board I didn’t think twice –though I should have done- about arranging it for minimal configuration, so I jumpered the pwrbtn pins and continued to receive the 4F error.

So, I've connected the pwrbtn pins to the case power button and the system passes through the POST phase and boots from the H/D or ODD. I’m delighted.

Thanks again, to all.

Good to hear you're up and running
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dompaulh View Post
    Problem solved!
    ... so I jumpered the pwrbtn pins and continued to receive the 4F error.

So, I've connected the pwrbtn pins to the case power button and the system passes through the POST phase and boots from the H/D or ODD. I’m delighted.

Thanks again, to all.
    Interesting, so you had the power button connections on the system panel header constantly connected with a jumper during your initial testing, is that correct?

Actually, only a momentary short circuit of those two pins is enough to signal the power supply to turn fully on, and I'm trying to figure out what the affect of those pins being shorted long term really is...

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The front panel power and reset switches are both momentary on switches and you should never leave a jumper on either switch. I've seen several instances where a a failure with either of these switches caused problems when the system was trying to post.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information