Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 1 USB Serial Port on ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0??

VinceL is offline Junior Member

Default Only 1 USB Serial Port on ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0??

I'm not sure if my question is a motherboard question or a Windows 7 question.

The ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 MB has 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back panel and a connector on the MB for 2 additional USB ports on the front panel. I have 2 applications that use USB devices but the software needs to map to a serial port. I am getting "in-use" conflicts between the applications because apparently all of the USB ports are mapped to a single Comm Port (in my case Comm Port 5). I have tried plugging the 2 devices into various combinations of the 6 USB ports, but all the USB ports are mapped to the same Comm Port. Each application runs fine by itself and communicates with its respective USB device. But, I cannot run both at the same time (and I need to be able to do this).

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. The apps are both approved for use on Win7 64-bit.

Device Manager shows one USB Serial Port and 2 USB Host Controllers along with 2 USB Root Hubs. I would have expected each USB Controller/Hub to have its own serial port mapping.

My first question is whether this is a motherboard issue or a Windows 7 issue? And my second question is whether there is a way to enable multiple USB serial ports that are mapped to different Comm Ports?

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide.

Default Re: Only 1 USB Serial Port on ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0??

Curious. Have you installed the inf driver package?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

And note:

Rear panel has 4 USB ports. Two are USB 2.0 and two are USB 3.0
    MB has USB 3.0 connector for 2 additional USB 3.0.

All controlled via the B75 chipset. ie: no third party controller.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    And note:

Rear panel has 4 USB ports. Two are USB 2.0 and two are USB 3.0
    MB has USB 3.0 connector for 2 additional USB 3.0.

All controlled via the B75 chipset. ie: no third party controller.
    Thanks for the replies, wardog.

Right after I installed Win 7, I loaded the support CD and installed all the drivers (except Google Chrome and Google Toolbar). Based on your comment, I figured I would just reinstall the INF driver. Well, when I tried to do that, I got an error message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." I think I would have noticed a message like that when I first installed it. So, now I am very confused.

As far as the USB ports, on the rear panel there are 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. There are 2 headers on the MB for USB 2.0 ports (giving a total of 8 USB 2.0 ports), and there is one USB 3.0 header on the MB (giving a total of 4 USB 3.0 ports).

Quote Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
    As far as the USB ports, on the rear panel there are 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. There are 2 headers on the MB for USB 2.0 ports (giving a total of 8 USB 2.0 ports), and there is one USB 3.0 header on the MB (giving a total of 4 USB 3.0 ports).
    My humble apology. Yes, I now indeed see the MB has four USB 2.0 at the rear, not two as I previously stated.

What VCP drivers are you using, FTDI by chance?

My humble apology. Yes, I now indeed see the MB has four USB 2.0 at the rear, not two as I previously stated.

What VCP drivers are you using, FTDI by chance?
    You got it...FTDI.

OS maybe XP?

Win7 64-bit

Lord I'm bad here in your thread. Another apology. I see you stated the OS in the first post. Mea Culpa.

Check that the VCP drivers are indeed FTDI and not MS supplied.

Check that the VCP drivers are indeed FTDI and not MS supplied.
    The installed drivers that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information