Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: z87 extreme 4 lan will not start-error code 10

Default z87 extreme 4 lan will not start-error code 10

I have tried downloading latest driver, uninstalling lan and driver,reinstalling driver from asrock website. New driver will install from device manager but still get same error code. Running Wds 7 32bit. Have enabled LAN in bios. Not sure what else to do. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: z87 extreme 4 lan will not start-error code 10

New build, or one that was running fine previously?

Double check that you have the correct driver, and you might pause/close any anti-virus you have running to install.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Please see my specs below. I have downloaded and installed a number of times from the ASR website. This is a new build. The Lan never worked. Everything is running at stock speeds. I tried installing a PCIE LAN card. It works fine. Could it be a deffective LAN? PSU looks ok according to calculator.

Thanks again for the help.
    Corsair TX 750 Enthusiast, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 socket 1150, Intel i7 4770K ( stock clock speed), G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x8GB, EVGA GTX 760 2GB

In the BIOS, Advanced > Chipset, double check that the "Onboard LAN" didn't get set to Disabled accidentally. It happens.

Also, you might attempt, and then promptly cancel out of, trying to while in the BIOS. either Internet Flash or UEFI Tech Service. Doing either may inform, as they're "driverless' , if the onboard lan is defective or not.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

You might also look inside the nic's cable port on the I/O backplane for anything amiss as far as the little wire contacts inside.

parsec is offline Senior Member

No need to uninstall the previous driver, actually might make things worse. The Intel network drivers are the gold standard in network drivers, I won't use anything but Intel NICs, either onboard or PCI-E cards, never had a problem.

Frankly, with an Intel NIC chip on that board, a native Windows 7 NIC driver should have worked for you, unless you blocked all auto driver installation, as I usually do.

Using the Windows Intel driver installer with device manager is odd, the Intel installer handles many different NICs and knows what to install. If you haven't run the Intel INF file installation program you really need to do that, as well as the Intel IME software. I've used the ASRock's 18.5 download on my Z87 Ex 6 board, that has two Intel NICs, and it worked fine.

You can try the latest Intel NIC driver from Intel, just be sure to download the 32 bit version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DownloadType=

But you might have a problem with the board's NIC chip. Actually on your board, the Intel I217V is the interface between the Ethernet port and the NIC built into the Z87 chipset. That is why I said you must run the INF installation program, and the Intel IME software installer, since all the Z87 chipset's features will not be available until you do.

Since you said you tried installing the driver through Device Manager, I'm guessing you might be a driver minimalist, installing only the most basic driver required. I can see that, but trying to do that with the Intel network driver package is not easy, and you really cannot use the version you downloaded for that purpose.

If (when?) you run the Windows driver installer, at one point you'll see a Setup Options display, asking you to choose the features you want. Uncheck the "Windows PowerShell Module" in that list, otherwise you will not have all the configuration options in the Device Manager entry for the Intel NIC.

In installing the LAN drivers, I chose install everything from the disk that came with the mobo. I have updated the bios. I installed the newest drivers downloaded from the ASR website and installed from the main exe. I tried installing the drivers you linked from intel following your instructions. I also tried to connect to technical support and driver update through the BIOS, but could not get internet connectivity this way. The intel PCI-E lan I bought works fine with no effort on my part. The onboard LAN will install the drivers and show all the options for it in device manager, but greyed out. When I plug in an Ethernet cable, I get an amber and orange unblinking light. I can only conclude at this point that the onboard LAN is faulty. I wouldn't normally care about an onboard LAN, but many of this board's features depend on it. At this point, I am pissed and going to RMA this board. Thanks for the help.
    Corsair TX 750 Enthusiast, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 socket 1150, Intel i7 4770K ( stock clock speed), G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 2x8GB, EVGA GTX 760 2GB

parsec is offline Senior Member

I agree something is wrong with the NIC on that board, good luck with the RMA.

Thread Information