Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Pc malfunction

Default Pc malfunction

Hi there.

I experience power surge/ lightning strike during sundays storm, my computer was off nd the wall socket was also powered off.
    But all cables including my amplifiers and screen nd the case where all plugged in. (but wall socket switch was off). After the lightning storm passed, whn i switch on the wall socket. The main switch tripped. I tried again but same thing happed. I tested all equipment one by one and i discovered the power supply on the case was damaged. I bought a new power supply but after pluging it in. It's capacitors jus busted.
    So i wanna know if the problem is the power cable, or the MoBo since power supplies i connect jus die for no reason.
    I would appreciate hearing from you as i wanna know if i should switch the power cord nd test another power supply or budget for a new MoBo
    computer running:
    -intel core i3 2120 cpu,
    -750gb sata HDD,
    -2gb ddr 3 1333Mhz ram,
    -LG dvd writer and
    -ASRock H61M VS R2.0 MoBo.

Default Re: Pc malfunction

And by the way.i do not have a surge protector or UPS

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Djsliq View Post
    Hi there.

I experience power surge/ lightning strike during sundays storm, my computer was off nd the wall socket was also powered off.
    But all cables including my amplifiers and screen nd the case where all plugged in. (but wall socket switch was off). After the lightning storm passed, whn i switch on the wall socket. The main switch tripped. I tried again but same thing happed. I tested all equipment one by one and i discovered the power supply on the case was damaged. I bought a new power supply but after pluging it in. It's capacitors jus busted.
    So i wanna know if the problem is the power cable, or the MoBo since power supplies i connect jus die for no reason.
    I would appreciate hearing from you as i wanna know if i should switch the power cord nd test another power supply or budget for a new MoBo
    computer running:
    -intel core i3 2120 cpu,
    -750gb sata HDD,
    -2gb ddr 3 1333Mhz ram,
    -LG dvd writer and
    -ASRock H61M VS R2.0 MoBo.
    So to review, you had the wall power socket powered off for the PC and other equipment, and then had a lightning strike/power surge. The wall socket switch is different than the "main switch", which I guess is the circuit breaker for that wall socket, is that correct?

After the storm, you turned on the wall socket switch, and then the main switch tripped, right?

That tells me that the lightning strike damaged either the wiring to that wall socket switch, or the wall socket was damaged, or both the wiring and wall socket was damaged.

Even with a switch like you have on the wall socket, a lightning strike is so powerful that it can jump across the electrical contacts of switch that is turned off. That is what I think happened, and that lightning strike also went into the power supply of your PC.

Question, are you using the same wall socket with the new PC power supply, that you used before the lighting strike? If so, stop using that outlet, since I'm pretty sure that outlet and/or the wiring to that outlet is damaged. It is also possible that other wiring and outlets in your house is damaged. That can be VERY dangerous, and needs to be checked by an electrician.

Since the new PC power supply was damaged immediately, it is possible that your mother board and other components are damaged, but usually a good PC power supply would shut itself off if the mother board, etc, are damaged. That is why I really think your home's wiring and/or wall outlets are damaged.

DO NOT keep trying to use the wall outlet you know is causing problems, it will just keep damaging more equipment.

Tnx for getting back to me... I found the problem, i reset the BIOS nd tested another power supply on the same socket nd worked ok...
    Pc switches on fine... (the problem ws the MoBo had reserved power of ome sort that resulted in blowing the new power supply. (hence it ws a cheap line PSU).
    Now all is good.

That's good to hear.

Here in the US it was common practice to ground via the water pipes. Building Electrical Code now forbids this.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Yeah. Now i'l never 4gt to unplug all cords from the wall when i'm done... Nearly lost ma 1year old custom build pc.
    -Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (Eternity Edition)
    -intel core i3 -2120 cpu @ 3.3Ghz
    -western digital 750GB sata HDD
    -LG dvd writer
    -dynet 2gb ddr3 1333Mhz ram
    -ASRock H61M VS R2.0 MoBo
    -intel HD graphics 2000 (512MB)
    -18.5 inch LG flatron LED flat screen
    -creative x-fi sound blaster pci-e sound card
    (pc used mainly for music production)

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    That's good to hear.

Here in the US it was common practice to ground via the water pipes. Building Electrical Code now forbids this.
    Would you happen to know why this is so? Just curious, as while the third wire ground/safety wire is first connected to the outlet's conduit, and I think my home has a main ground connected to a water pipe.

Frankly, I really doubt that a "the MoBo had reserved power of ome sort that resulted in blowing the new power supply".
    Last edited by parsec; 11-22-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Would you happen to know why this is so? Just curious, as while the third wire ground/safety wire is first connected to the outlet's conduit, and I think my home has a main ground connected to a water pipe.
    I kinda sorta understand it. Plumbing and electrical code is not my forte'. AFAIU piping gnd must lead back to box. Now what with PVC more prevalent, again AFAIU, that makes determining a gnd more worrisome and they decided to change code to alleviate any possibly overlooked "bad' gnd paths that may have been "thought' good but with a homeowners DIY Home Depot PVC repair now creating an open in the gnd.

Told ya I was dangerous. Yet you continue to press :)_

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Frankly, I really doubt that a "the MoBo had reserved power of ome sort that resulted in blowing the new power supply".
    I didn't understand either. Most likely it came from the other side. An storm generated electrical sag, surge, or ripple poked the PSU and that's when the PSU went kablooey.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thanks 'dawg, I could actually look it up myself, but thought I'd just be a lazy forum... never mind.

The reason I mention this is because the (or at least one) ground I have in my home, ~25 years old, is clearly visible on the main incoming water pipe. It's in a easily accessible area, a basement closet, so it's in my face any time I open that closet door. The main circuit breaker box is on the far opposite wall of the basement.

So what is "code" now, a metal rod pounded into the ground? I would not be surprised if every state, county, etc, has a different code/standard for numerous things like this. Of course there's that special, global code above all else, given an enlightened inspector... $$$.

I was pulling my punches in my earlier post, there is no chance that the capacitors used on a PC mother board could retain enough energy to destroy a PC power supply with a discharge or stored energy. The voltages used by mother boards, 12V maximum, is not enough to create enough Joules of stored energy, as well as the capacity of the capacitors being to low. That the board survived the experience also tells us the lightening strike never reached the board. The PSU gave up its life instead.

In the old days, vacuum tube equipment used high voltages, and 200V - 300V+ capacitors were required. High capacity capacitors of that voltage are capable of storing dangerous amounts of energy. If PC mother boards used voltages and capacitors like that, we would not be building our own PCs.

Thread Information