Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evga gtx760 Problems on M3A785GMH/128M motherboard

Default evga gtx760 Problems on M3A785GMH/128M motherboard

Hello all, been running my computer happily on current setup, however decided to upgrade my gfx to the EVGA gtx760 2gb, this is where the problems now start, within 2 minutes of starting a game my computer now freezes and i have to manually ctrl+alt+del to shut down the program/game. I also get an a freeze just generally surfing the net with the error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" from what i have read from other sources it's link to the bios? with an update needed to sort it. now i have check asrock website and there's is no update available ( currently running bios 1.50) is my new card actually compatable with my mobo? (i know it's old)

Many Thanks
    amd 955 3.2/processor
    M3A785GMH/128M /mobo

12gb corsair ram

650w modular powersupply

win7 ultimate x64

Tyler.Bernath is offline TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

Default Re: evga gtx760 Problems on M3A785GMH/128M motherboard

Need more details on your setup. Whats the exact model of your PSU. Also what GPU were you using before? Did you clear out the drivers before installing new card?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler.Bernath View Post
    Need more details on your setup. Whats the exact model of your PSU. Also what GPU were you using before? Did you clear out the drivers before installing new card?
    Hello Tyler, thankyou for the reply my psu is this 1 Novatech PowerStation Gaming 600W Silent ATX2 Modular Power Supply | NOV-PSG600 checked on the evga website and they recommend a 500w supply the gpu was a nvidia gtx460 and i used the gforce experience to "clean install" the drivers, i have had to put the gtx460 back in as the freezes were getting on my nerves (not a problem with the 460).

Many Thanks
    Last edited by Arcain74; 11-21-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Tyler.Bernath is offline TweakTown Consumer Storage Editor

Please verify that your Power supply is capable of 30A on the 12+ rail. the bare minimum for the GTX 760 is 500W. This sounds like a PSU issue to me, if you have the extra money I would spring for a higher quality power supply. Something like a Corsair AX or HX series or a Silverstone.

Thanks Tyler, i've checked and it's fine.. even done a PSU Wattage calculator Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator even with everything on 100% load it comes back at only 444w so i've plenty of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler.Bernath View Post
    Please verify that your Power supply is capable of 30A on the 12+ rail. the bare minimum for the GTX 760 is 500W. This sounds like a PSU issue to me, if you have the extra money I would spring for a higher quality power supply. Something like a Corsair AX or HX series or a Silverstone.
    The OP's Novatech PowerStation Gaming 600W PSU does 25A across each 3.3v , 5v, 12v1 and 12v2. Those specs are for the current model anyways. For sure NovaTech rebrands these, but who's the OEM of this particular PSU? Also, how old is this PSU you have now? Age does and will affect PSU's

I concur with Tyler. I'd say you've now finally reached the limits of your current PSU while upgrading over time the other components.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It could be the PSU, no doubt. But EVGA (really it's NVIDIA) has been having trouble with their drivers lately, and the newer versions are worse than the "older" ones. All kinds of odd issues are happening, but the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" is a typical problem with these drivers.

I suggest trying the 320.49 WHQL driver on EVGA's download page for the 700 series boards, that is what I'm using with an EVGA 760:

EVGA Download Center

ASR does seem to have more than their share of video card incompatibility issues, and older boards would suffer from this more as you said. But normally the video card is simply not detected in the BIOS and/or in Windows when the problem is incompatibility.

Don't forget that a '460 is a much easier load on a PSU than a '760. Also, have you monitored the GPU temperatures on the 760 while in use, as well as the rest of your system?

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Keep in mind that some/many cheap power supplies can't provide anywhere near their "rated" power output.

Not a good sign, I couldn't find any Novatech PowerStation Gaming 600W Silent power supply reviews from respected, well known web sites.

Using a cheap power supply can be dangerous, even when brand new.
    I don't know anyone who builds a nice house on a crappy foundation.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

I'm also wondering if 12GB of ram could be causing this, but you say it ran fine previously.

12GB on a 4 memory slot board means the on-die memory controller is running "unbalanced' on the channels. 8GB(2x4GB) on one channel and 4GB(1x4GB) on another.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I'm also wondering if 12GB of ram could be causing this, but you say it ran fine previously.

12GB on a 4 memory slot board means the on-die memory controller is running "unbalanced' on the channels. 8GB(2x4GB) on one channel and 4GB(1x4GB) on another.
    Unless the OP has 2x4GB and 2x2GB DIMMs, so 6GB in each channel.

When using Intel memory controllers, having different capacity DIMMs in a channel (one 4GB and one 2GB DIMM), or in the configuration you described, not all the memory will be running in dual channel mode. Sounds odd, I know, but this is what I've read.

In the configuration I described, only 4GB per channel will be operating in dual channel mode. So 2GB per channel will be operating in single channel mode. But I don't see that as the issue here.

Tyler mentioned a good point, about needing 30A on one 12V rail. We know the Novatech PSU is rated at 25A on two 12V rails, but the maximum combined wattage of those two rails is 504W, or ~250W per rail, which is 21A per 12V rail.

I ran a guesstimated power check using the Thermaltake calculator on the OP's PC, which resulted in 475W. Yes, under the spec for the Novatech PSU, but the Thermaltake power calculator also recommends a PSU for the system. That was a 750W Thermaltake PSU.

A GTX 760 review I found that tested power consumption shows at full load the card used 336W, or 28A at 12V:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card Review - Page 13 of 15 - Legit ReviewsPower Consumption

We can see that a simple power requirement calculator as used here does not take into account all the potential factors to reach a valid conclusion.

Given the Novatech's specs of 25A max per channel, even if the GTX 760 was isolated on one of the 12V rails, the 336W/28A power draw is beyond the PSU's specs. Given the combined 504W/2 x 21A rail spec, things are looking even worse, sorry to say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information