Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ports will not work on z68

Default Ports will not work on z68

Sorry for the block of text.
    I have a z68 extreme4 gen3 and I recently did a case swap into a corsair c70. After the swap, many of the sata, usb, hdd indicator light and pci-e ports are not functioning. The usb ports stop working as soon as windows boots and the other ports just don't work at all. I had the latest bios update so I rolled it back one, cleared the cmos, checked all the connections, reseated the mobo and processor (all pins were fine), made sure everything was turned on in the bios. Idk I just cannot seem to figure this one out. I can get the usb ports to work if I plug all my stuff into different ports which is strange. Is it time for a new mobo? I really hope not.

System:
    i5 2500k
    750w psu
    other parts mentioned above.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Ports will not work on z68

Welcome to the forum.

There might be a problem with your new computer case.
    Remove your motherboard from the case and place the motherboard on a cardboard box beside the computer case to see if this eliminates the problem.
    Do NOT put an anti-static bag or mat under your motherboard when powering on your system.
    If the problem isn't fixed, can you test with another power supply?

Please provide brand names and model numbers for all of your hardware in your PC Specs or in your forum signature.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Short? What profJim says, and even before that take a look at the rear I/O panel that one of the tabs/tangs of the I/O plate itself that snaps into the case didn't find it's way into one of the rear MB ports instead of floating above the metal housings on the MB.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Short? What profJim says, and even before that take a look at the rear I/O panel that one of the tabs/tangs of the I/O plate itself that snaps into the case didn't find it's way into one of the rear MB ports instead of floating above the metal housings on the MB.
    Thanks to Jim as well but you know, I think this may be where the issue is when I think about it. I'm not at home right now so I can't check it out atm but I remember feeling uneasy about that during the swap. Also this case has one less standoff than the old one did so I'm using one screw less. I dont think it matters but I've only been at this for 2 years so I am still pretty new to it all imo. I really appreciate all the help so far and I will update my parts on here when I get home and can look at it.

Oh, do place a standoff where you have one missing. Should be one for each hole on the MB.

If you don't have one floating around there Tuscon has plenty of computer shops that you can pick one up from. Just make positive it's the same height as the ones under the MB now.

Let us know how it goes when you get to it tonight.

And yes, Welcome to TweakTown.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Oh, do place a standoff where you have one missing. Should be one for each hole on the MB.

If you don't have one floating around there Tuscon has plenty of computer shops that you can pick one up from. Just make positive it's the same height as the ones under the MB now.

Let us know how it goes when you get to it tonight.

And yes, Welcome to TweakTown.
    This case has them built into the actual case but I think there is a hole where the missing one is to add a standoff. I just have short ones from my old case so I guess I'll have to go buy some longer ones.

While you have the MB out, check that there isn't any standoffs that don't align with the mounting holes that the MB has.

There should only be one standoff per MB mounting hole. No more, No less. This isn't an instance of "The more the merrier'

And I hear ya on cases that don't come with 10 standoffs.

My Fractal cases only come with 9, whereas for years most enthusiast MB's require 10.

One final note.

Get a standoff that matches the height of one that came with the case.

I think in my bag of standoffs there are only two lengths in there, but standoffs heights are case specific. So the MB aligns properly.

Get standoff _and_ a screw that fits. Can't begin to say how many times I've grabbed a screw and had it just drop/bottom out into the standoff instead of needing screwed down. PITA that is.

One final note.

Get a standoff that matches the height of one that came with the case.

I think in my bag of standoffs there are only two lengths in there, but standoffs heights are case specific. So the MB aligns properly.

Get standoff _and_ a screw that fits. Can't begin to say how many times I've grabbed a screw and had it just drop/bottom out into the standoff instead of needing screwed down. PITA that is.
    Ok cool. I was gonna go to a local shop during lunch but i'll go home and measure it and then go to the shop after work. This case swap is turning into a lot more work than I wanted to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information