Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock 970 Extreme3 BIOS Update failed

Default ASRock 970 Extreme3 BIOS Update failed

Hello,

When I was updating my BIOS to 1.80, I have had a blackout at home causing the BIOS update to fail. When I try to boot the computer, it gives me 13-14 beeps (really fast beeps) and doesn't give me any display function.I have tried to reset the CMOS however it still give me the same result; I have also tried removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes however it still give me the same result when I try to boot my computer.
    My PC is currently on with a USB drive to see if it will flash the bios file installed on the drive. How long would it usually take and how would I know if it is installing?

Is there anyway that I can fix this problem? I really need to know because I use this computer to do my work.

Edit: Before I get told if I have contacted the dealer that I purchased the MoBo from; Can I call Amazon about this problem? I am not sure if they will do something like product exchange.
    Last edited by magnumxavenger; 11-22-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update

Default Re: ASRock 970 Extreme3 BIOS Update failed

Using "Instant Flash" takes about 2-3mins. You have to interact with the board to do this by choosing the drive and file.

Odds are, if the BIOS chip is held in via a socket, instead of soldered to the board, you'll need to contact ASRock for a new BIOS chip. Or I'm sure some eBay Sellers offer then too.

In the pics I just looked at on the web it looks like it an 8pin chip and held in via socket.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Okay thanks for the reply, it has been more than 10 mins since I've booted with USB drive connected to the motherboard and still there isn't any other result.
    What does it mean when it beeps really fast 14 times?

ASRock Instant Flash instructions:

ASRock - BIOS Upgrade Instruction

Pay heed that you use a FAT32 formatted USB thumb drive. Any other format will not work.

Just the one BIOS file you wish to flash on the root of the formatted FAT32 drive. Nothing else.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I did format the USB to FAT32, inside is the 1.70 BIOS update.
    I do not know what you meant by interact with the Mobo to select the drive due to the fact that I cannot see anything on the display for some unknown reason.

Look at the link in my post, above, Post #4. That's what I mean by interact. It's not automatic. There are steps during the procedure that require your input.

14 beeps I haven't a clue. Certainly not good.

In this instance I highly suggest you contact ASRock Tech Support and request a new BIOS chip.
    ASRock > Support Request Form

or

ASRock > About ASRock > Contact Us

Thank you for your help,

I've already filled the form before I posted this thread here. I was really curios about the beeps and thought someone here could help me.

When the power is disconnected for ANY reason while flashing the BIOS there is no other recourse that I'm aware other than replace the BIOS chip.

Depending on where the power went out it could have been in the "Erasing' stage or the "Programming" stage. Interrupting either is disastrous, as you've now discovered.

ie: without a working BIOS the computer is useless.

Sorry I'm not of more help. Yet I'd be a Magician if I offered you more than I have. There is non easy fix for a BIOS flash gone bad.

anyway here is a video that I took. you'll hear the beeps on this video as it is quite loud...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ylx...e_gdata_player

Thread Information