Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: z77 pro3 24gb of ram only registering 16gb

Default z77 pro3 24gb of ram only registering 16gb

z77 pro3
    650ti
    8gbx2 gskill 2400c11d-16gxm
    4gbx2 team xtreem 8gb 2400

I am only getting 16gb of ram to register with my system. I have the 8x2 gskill in a1/b1 and the 4x2 team xtreem in a2/b2 slots. Looking for help getting my system to register both sets.

Default Re: z77 pro3 24gb of ram only registering 16gb

Meaning the BIOS only reads the 2x8GB sticks in a1/b1? And not reading the a2/b2 slots?

And mixing ram isn't a good idea most times which leaves me wondering if that might be the issue here.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

When I f8 into settings where i can OC, i see all 4 sticks. So the mb is recognizing them. When I open the task manager it's only reading 16gb. win7 64bit os btw.

Use the Snipping Tool under Start>Accessories and post a screenshot of Task Managers first upon opening page, and the one you're concerned with if it's different than the one I just asked for.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

[IMG][/IMG]

parsec is offline Senior Member

The BIOS (not really the board) detecting all the memory is not the same as the CPU IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) and/or Windows detecting all the memory. We've seen this in the past with the i7-900 series CPUs, the first with an IMC.

Next, neither model of memory you are using is listed in your board's QVL. G.SKILL and Teamgroup both do not list your board as compatible with their products.

Also, your i5-2500K, a Sandy Bridge processor, does not share the memory specifications (speed) given for an Ivy Bridge chipset board (Z77), it is a step below Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Go to Administrative Tools, then Resource Monitor, and click the Memory tab, to check if anything is different.

The good news is they are at least working somewhat, which is great given all the strikes against them (sorry to say.)

What speed (2400, 2133, etc?) are they set to currently? Timings are the next question, and then voltage? With mixed DIMMs, the slowest timings are automatically used, which are the G.SKILL's.

Try running each set by themselves, in slots A2 and B2, which are preferred for using one DIMM per channel. Do both models work by themselves, and all memory detected?

As wardog said, mixing models of DIMMs rarely works.

OP, on coming back to your issue ........

Try this. No promises.

Balance the channels out. In the 1st post you have 16GB on one channel(A1+B1) and 8GB on the other channel(A2+B2)

Place one 8GB stick each in A1 and A2
    Place one 4GB stick each in B1 and B2

Only thing is timings and voltages. I would probably start with Auto Timings, and set the one DRAM Voltage to the highest voltage of the two kits, assuming the lower voltage pair will tolerate the higher voltage.

Then look in Task Manager or Windows for 24GB.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I would probably start with Auto Timings, and set the one DRAM Voltage to the highest voltage of the two kits, assuming the lower voltage pair will tolerate the higher voltage.
    Auto Timings, NOT XMP.

XMP, AFAIK, is meant to be used with only two sticks. Not four. And certainly not with your potpourri of ram you have there.

Well, fat and happy after Thanksgiving gorging I found some time to ponder this yet again.

Since neither myself nor parsec thought to ask(silly us ), notice below the memory limitations of the various Windows 7 editions and the amount of memory each is capable of addressing. By chance are you using Windows 7 Home Premium x64? That edition can only address 16GB, and thus might be the reason you only see 16GB in Windows but everything else reads right. Guessing that is what is happening here as you only state "win7 64bit os" .

Shamelessly lifted from the below link:
    Code:
    64-bit (x64) Windows 7 Maximum RAM Limit per Edition

Home Basic: 8GB
        Home Premium: 16GB
        Professional: 192GB
        Enterprise: 192GB
        Ultimate: 192GB
    If you are in the off chance running Windows 7 Professional x64 or above, verify the following isn't checked(see below link for further information):
    Start > "Run' bar > type in "msconfig" w/o quotes > select the "Boot" tab > select the "Advanced options" button > make sure there is no check in the box for "Maximum memory'

Memory - Set Maximum Amount Used by Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

Thread Information