Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Default H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    I want to have an overclock and have adaptive vcore work normally but it seems both do not work at the same time.

    At any successful multiplier overclock, adaptive vcore does not work. It acts like it is in override mode.
    If you overclock and leave the voltage options on auto, the overclock does not work. Will be at stock speeds on adaptive vcore and downvolts at idle.


    Intel Extreme Tuning Utility allows you to change from adaptive vcore to override mode. It cannot change from override back to adaptive. So you can load a stock profile to an overclock profile but then the vcore is stuck in fixed mode. Tends to crash when attempting to go from overclock to stock profile.


    ASRock f-stream has a high chance to crash when changing the voltage.


    Any windows overclock software shows the value selection of adaptive and override mode as grayed out. Attempting to force change (via profile loading) tends to crash the system.
    Last edited by UnstableOne; 11-29-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    Quote Originally Posted by UnstableOne View Post
    I want to have an overclock and have adaptive vcore work normally but it seems both do not work at the same time.

    At any successful multiplier overclock, adaptive vcore does not work. It acts like it is in override mode.
    If you overclock and leave the voltage options on auto, the overclock does not work. Will be at stock speeds on adaptive vcore and downvolts at idle.


    Intel Extreme Tuniny Utility allows you to change from adaptive vcore to override mode. It cannot change from override back to adaptive. So you can load a stock profile to an overclock profile but then the vcore is stuck in fixed mode. Tends to crash when attempting to go from overclock to stock profile.


    ASRock f-stream has a high chance to crash when changing the voltage.


    Any windows overclock software shows the value selection of adaptive and override mode as grayed out. Attempting to force change (via profile loading) tends to crash the system.
    What CPU are you using, and what BIOS version do you currently have?

    What method do you use to set the multipliers in the BIOS?

    If you have the Speed Step feature enabled, then the CPU will down clock (really reduce the multiplier), and if using Adaptive voltage, Vcore will reduce, that is normal and how it should work.

    How do you think Adaptive voltage works? It is new with Haswell processors, so what are you comparing it with?

    You lost me on not wanting the Vcore to down volt at idle, but then don't like it when the Vcore is in fixed mode. What is it you want?

    Sounds like you want Offset mode, with a positive offset, but I'm not sure.

    Intel was not happy with all the non-Z OC BIOS versions that most mother board manufactures were offering, and has asked (told) them to stop it and apply a CPU microcode update to insure that non-Z OC will not work. BIOS 1.60 may have contained that change, it mentions "Update Intel ME", which hints that is the case.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    Thanks for the reply. It's kind of a weird situation. I have a 4770k. have tried 1.5 and 1.6 bioses. 1.6 still works with overclocking.

    Have tried a million combinations in the bios to set the overclock. Non-z oc, advanced turbo, and without them selected. It seems like those names are just presets which dont have a hidden effect as they just change the bottom settings in the bios.

    Speed step is enabled. The problem is that the board WILL NOT use adaptive voltage when overclocked despite any selection. It works like it should with cpu voltage at auto. Problem is, voltage on auto will not allow overclocking. CPUZ will see the multiplier change but it will not use it.

    I run my cpu @ 1.3v. Adaptive voltage should allow it to run 800mhz @ 0.7v at idle. With a successful overclock it runs 800mhz @ 1.3v at idle. I want it to be able to take advantage of the lower voltages in the power saving states.

    Using offsets does not work like it should either. Any voltage change (including offset) changes the cpu voltage to override mode when it is overclocked.

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What CPU are you using, and what BIOS version do you currently have?

    What method do you use to set the multipliers in the BIOS?

    If you have the Speed Step feature enabled, then the CPU will down clock (really reduce the multiplier), and if using Adaptive voltage, Vcore will reduce, that is normal and how it should work.

    How do you think Adaptive voltage works? It is new with Haswell processors, so what are you comparing it with?

    You lost me on not wanting the Vcore to down volt at idle, but then don't like it when the Vcore is in fixed mode. What is it you want?

    Sounds like you want Offset mode, with a positive offset, but I'm not sure.

    Intel was not happy with all the non-Z OC BIOS versions that most mother board manufactures were offering, and has asked (told) them to stop it and apply a CPU microcode update to insure that non-Z OC will not work. BIOS 1.60 may have contained that change, it mentions "Update Intel ME", which hints that is the case.

  4. #4
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    I agree that Vcore (ASRock is really showing VID on Haswell boards, but you will see ~0.7V for the Vcore/VID) should be ~0.7V for your CPU at 800MHz, but I did not quite understand your first post.

    To get the Vcore to drop, you must Enable C-States in the CPU options in the Advanced menu. That is at least down to C6. If they are set to Auto now, set them to Enabled.

    Also, the Windows Power Plan you use will affect the CPU speed at idle. The Balanced power plan has the correct processor settings to allow the low Vcore. You can also set the Advanced power plan processor setting manually, Minimum processor state should be below 20%.

    When you boot Windows, it will take about one minute before the CPU speed and Vcore will drop to 800Mhz/0.7V. CPU-Z only monitors one CPU core and seems to miss CPU speeds changes IMO.

    All this works for me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    Will try to make it simple with a real example. I have a "default" profile saved in the bios from taking the battery out and power off.
    For the test I did not reset the CMOS. I started from my overclock profile and loaded the "default."


    • I load default profile in bios - so it's all default values. CPU will idle 800mhz @ 0.7v

    Almost everything is set to auto. Vcore is set to auto mode at auto offset.



    • I go back into the bios and set the multiplier to "per core." Stock multipliers auto load (39/39/38/37) and reboot. Cpu runs idle 800mhz @ 1.3v. It somehow remembers the overclock override settings and will not lower. It "thinks" it is in adaptive mode; windows software (IETU/f-stream) will show adaptive mode. But it has all characteristics of override mode.
    • Go back into the bios and set cpu multiplier to "auto." CPU idles 800mhz @ 0.7v and under load it will be ~ 1.132v


    The only changes made that show any change in the bios are the multiplier settings. Everything else is set the same and goes unchanged.

    Windows is set on the balanced profile and at 5% for the minimum processor state.


    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I agree that Vcore (ASRock is really showing VID on Haswell boards, but you will see ~0.7V for the Vcore/VID) should be ~0.7V for your CPU at 800MHz, but I did not quite understand your first post.

    To get the Vcore to drop, you must Enable C-States in the CPU options in the Advanced menu. That is at least down to C6. If they are set to Auto now, set them to Enabled.

    Also, the Windows Power Plan you use will affect the CPU speed at idle. The Balanced power plan has the correct processor settings to allow the low Vcore. You can also set the Advanced power plan processor setting manually, Minimum processor state should be below 20%.

    When you boot Windows, it will take about one minute before the CPU speed and Vcore will drop to 800Mhz/0.7V. CPU-Z only monitors one CPU core and seems to miss CPU speeds changes IMO.

    All this works for me.
    Last edited by UnstableOne; 11-30-2013 at 02:38 AM.

  6. #6
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    I think I understand now. Since I don't have your board/BIOS, all I can tell you is the ASRock BIOS on the 8 series boards are known to automatically change other options when you change a main one like core multiplier. If you change multiplier again, it will reset the one or more other options.

    I had the same thing you describe happen to me, with the CPU at 800MHz and 1.25V, when previously it was 800MHz and ~0.75V, after changing core multiplier. It drove me crazy too, until I finally noticed Speed Step was disabled. That was with all C-States enabled.

    IMO, either you are getting another option set automatically when you change the CPU multi, or there is a bug in that BIOS. I know you checked all the other options, but I missed it myself. Also, options on other screens, like Advanced - CPU Configuration would be changed in some cases when an OC Tweaker option is changed (not to mention the fan speed control in HW Monitor.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: H87 Performance - Adaptive vcore broken (non-z oc)

    Heard back from ASRock support who contacted HQ. H87 does not support adaptive vcore mode when overclocking.

    quote from email:
    On H87 chipset, it doesn’t support “adaptive mode” originally.
    Intel forgot to lock it, so the option shows on H87 models.
    When overclocking CPU, the adaptive mode won’t work.
    Please suggest user to choose override mode when he overclock CPU.
    Basically confirms my suspicions. BIOS settings when trying to use adaptive with an overclock is 100% broken with no fix. Monitor/overclocking software in windows has the vcore options grayed out and attempting to switch between the two usually results in a freeze or incorrect setting.
    The best I was able to manage was going from a stock profile to an overclock profile (within windows.)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •