Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 990FX Extreme3 + new FX 8320 not working

Default 990FX Extreme3 + new FX 8320 not working

Hey everyone, first post here. Sorry if I missed any threads regarding this already - but I looked and didn't see anything.

My build was previously exactly the same as what is listed in my profile, however, I just replaced the Phenom II X4 processor that was in it (nothing was wrong with it I just wanted to upgrade and the price on the 8320 was right) with the fx8320. After installing the new processor it will not boot up. No beeps, no post screen no signal from DVI, nothing. Just spinning fans and a warm-ish CPU. As a first instinct I had switched the ram around in all kinds of arrangements, but nothing worked. I know it can't be under-powered because I've got a 750W powersupply and only one GTX 670 card in the rig at the moment. I also connected the CPU power cable to the motherboard as usual. So, in summary, everything "seems" to be in place.

I am wondering (sort of assuming) if I need to upgrade the bios? Are there any bios updates that explicitly state they add support for this processor?

The part number for the processor is "FD8320FRHKBOX". It's an unlocked black edition.

Hope its not DOA or just plain incompatible with my build! I thought it would work like a dream... but these builds never go as smooth as one thinks.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Default Re: 990FX Extreme3 + new FX 8320 not working

You might be in a pickle with that 8320 as I don't see it on the CPU Support List for your MB.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, either quick like using the jumper? Or by pulling the power, removing the CMOS battery, pressing the case's Power button to bleed off residual, and the jumpering for 30mins-8hrs?

If clearing the CMOS doesn't get you anywhere I'd contact ASRock Tech Support (<- Link), phone at 1-909-590-8308, or email using support@asrockamerica.com.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

BTW, Hello and Welcome to TweakTown.

hehehe, while your nom de plume my go unrecognized by many here, I'm still snickering over it.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    You might be in a pickle with that 8320 as I don't see it on the CPU Support List for your MB.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, either quick like using the jumper? Or by pulling the power, removing the CMOS battery, pressing the case's Power button to bleed off residual, and the jumpering for 30mins-8hrs?

If clearing the CMOS doesn't get you anywhere I'd contact ASRock Tech Support (<- Link), phone at 1-909-590-8308, or email using support@asrockamerica.com.
    I'll try this when I get home. Thanks!

I just also discovered the amd website lists this board as compatible:

Asrock (990FX EXTREME3) ATX AMD 990FX Details

Is this a glimmer of hope?

Quote Originally Posted by widowlicker View Post
    Is this a glimmer of hope?
    Meh ..........

On looking closer into this it might be something as simple as getting a newer released BIOS flashed to it. Do you know/remember what the BIOS was flashed to while it had the X4 on it? The X4's on the support list state support for all BIOS revisions so unless you know you flashed it and to just what revision may help or not. If you haven't EVER flashed it and you bought it new, not used or open box, then there's a sticker on the BIOS chip itself that will state what the MB was flashed to at the factory.

Look at the lower right of the MB right over the Clear CMOS Jumper (CLRCMOS1). There may be a white sticker there with the factory flashed as new BIOS revision.

Meh ..........

On looking closer into this it might be something as simple as getting a newer released BIOS flashed to it. Do you know/remember what the BIOS was flashed to while it had the X4 on it? The X4's on the support list state support for all BIOS revisions so unless you know you flashed it and to just what revision may help or not. If you haven't EVER flashed it and you bought it new, not used or open box, then there's a sticker on the BIOS chip itself that will state what the MB was flashed to at the factory.

Look at the lower right of the MB right over the Clear CMOS Jumper (CLRCMOS1). There may be a white sticker there with the factory flashed as new BIOS revision.
    I have never flashed it and it was brand new. I'm assuming it's version 1.0? I can pop it open and check. If it's old, can I install the newest bios version and gain all the features of previous bios updates up to the newest one? (Are they cumulative version-to-version?)

I am glad someone noticed the penname by the way! Haha. It's a dangerous sounding spin on aphex twins windowlicker ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well, I'm kinda gambling here on this.

You might put the X4 back in, as it's supported/working, then flash it to thelatest BIOS release revision, and then put the 8320 back in and see if it boots. See where I'm going?

Well, I'm kinda gambling here on this.

You might put the X4 back in, as it's supported/working, then flash it to thelatest BIOS release revision, and then put the 8320 back in and see if it boots. See where I'm going?
    Case closed. The FX 8320 and ASRock 990FX Extreme3 work together!

The processor is compatible with the motherboard at BIOS version 1.7, but not 1.5 (which is what I seemed to have).

Thanks for your help, wardog.

Now. Any tips on how the bios should be set up to fully utilize this bad boy? I noticed many options as far as enabling core unlocker etc. etc. Can anyone here provide some insight as to what I should do with these settings (if anything)?

I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about:

990FX Extreme3 + new FX 8320 not working-img_0111-jpg

Good deal.

re: pic of BIOS

What make and model of memory do you have installed? It appears to be booting up at 1333.

Tip: To take a snapshot of any current screen content displayed by the monitor, place a USB stick in and press F12 when/where you want a screen capture and it'll save to the USB stick

Good deal.

re: pic of BIOS

What make and model of memory do you have installed? It appears to be booting up at 1333.

Tip: To take a snapshot of any current screen content displayed by the monitor, place a USB stick in and press F12 when/where you want a screen capture and it'll save to the USB stick

It's corsair CMX 8GB 1600MHz ram (2 x 4GB)

Heres the long version of the model found on the sticker: CMX8GX3M2A1600C9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information