Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

It sounds like you have cleared the CMOS/BIOS correctly with the button on the rear panel.

If your friend said he used 1866 memory in that board/CPU, I believe it, both Intel and AMD are conservative on their memory speed ratings. That CPU speed spec was just another potential issue with memory compatibility, but it sounds like you are past that.

Since you are returning that memory, which I agree you should do, what are you getting or using in its place?

Your PSU is an older design, with more power on the 3.3V and 5V rails than is needed by current systems, and low on 12V power, which is used much more now.

A picture of the power rails of that PSU:

Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?-norwood-psu-jpg

That's 18A total for the apparently two 12V rails.

Now that I've checked into the video cards (really workstation cards that cost well over $1000 each), the chance of them working with that PSU you have is zero.

My advice is to talk to your EE friend for help, since the collection of parts you have is going nowhere fast IMO, sorry to say.

12v1 usually is reserved for powering the MB and peripherals.
    12v2 usually is reserved for powering the CPU.

The Quadro 4500 draws ~109w loaded. That's ~9A of the available 6A your PSU 12v1 supplies ........

The Quadro 4600 draws, depending on model number, between 130w(10.8a, std 4600) to 155w(12.9a, 4600 SDI)
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

JCPuf is offline Junior Member

Oh man that's cool. Thank you for your collective expertise.

Should I try a new PSU before returning the RAM or is it pretty much 100% certain that the RAM is incompatible?

Judging by your writing there, I should get a PSU with 22amps 12V just to run the graphics cards, if I want to run these graphics cards in SLI mode? How much additional 12V amperage do I need to run the motherboard and processor? And where did you look up those values?

parsec is offline Senior Member

The RAM is not compatible, that is a given IMO.

Most new PSU's are "single 12V rail" designs, so you don't need to worry about balancing the load on multiple 12V rails.

Your current PSU does not even have the correct cables to provide power to one of your video cards. Those cards do not just use the power from the PCI-E X 16 slot, they have power connectors on the card itself that must be connected to at least one power cable from the PSU.

That 4600 card is a dual GPU card according to what I found, but IMO we don't know the exact models of each card, as in full model number/SKU.

Also, using two different cards in SLI is not a good idea, if it would even work.

Running those cards in SLI, if even possible, is a long term goal for you IMO, you have not even had the board and CPU get past POST at this point. Do not try to use both cards together when starting this PC for the first time, or installing the OS. Keep it simple at first, reach a goal like installing Windows and getting it stable, and then move on.

You will need at minimum a 650W PSU for your system with one video card. You might be able to use two cards with a 650W PSU, but that does not give you much headroom, as in reserve power.

I hope wardog comments on the PSU requirements.

Any PC build really must be planned first, and not done a piece at a time. New question, what PC case are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Back on Post # 2 I asked:
    Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Please read #1 in my Sig and follow with listing out all parts please. This gives us an understanding of what it is you're working with there.
    Hard to recommend w/o knowing what all he's building with.

Regarding the memory, if you're within the window to return it I probably would. Maybe look at a 2x4GB kit.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Back on Post # 2 I asked:
    Please read #1 in my Sig and follow with listing out all parts please. This gives us an understanding of what it is you're working with there.
    Hard to recommend w/o knowing what all he's building with.

Regarding the memory, if you're within the window to return it I probably would. Maybe look at a 2x4GB kit.

Quote Originally Posted by JCPuf View Post
    OAnd where did you look up those values?
    Missed this one.

Got those #'s from HERE.

Wardog, I apologize. I had filled in those system requirements when I registered, but I must have made an error in saving them. In any case, they're up now for your persual, though I'm afraid you won't learn anything you didn't already find out. I'm ordering the replacement 2x4GB kit from the list of supported RAM now: knowing that my friend had been running the 1866 speed RAM, I chose this one which was only $2 more expensive than the 1600: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820403006

Parsec, I hear you loud and clear on the SLI mode. I'm sure just one of these things will be more than enough for my current needs in any case. It's pretty surprising that my friends were discarding stuff this nice! I'm hoping to start doing some fun orbital simulations, data analysis and Fourier transforms once it's up. I'm not really into gaming. Lord knows I can't do that with my current machine, yeoman though it is.

Believe it or not, I actually had figured out the auxiliary 75W power supply to the GPU problem. I got one card out of a Power Mac which had failed, apparently, when its cooling apparatus leaked onto its CPU. This was apparently a common design flaw of the Power Macs. It came with a 6-pin-to-4-pin adapter which I was using.

I still have that giant aluminum Power Mac case, and I could use it if you think 1) It's possible for me to use and 2) is superior to what I've got. What I've got is this square black thing with no identification on it. It has a transparent window on one side, and a Vantec Stealth fan on the front, and two USB drives and a Firewire drive. It has a removable motherboard carriage which comes smoothly out the back. The Power Mac clearly has way more heat-dissipating abilities, but I'm concerned with the knowledge that the big cooling apparatus killed the motherboard in the first place. I don't feel confident using it unless the fixing of the Power Mac's early air-conditioner cooling device is something that's been well solved and documented (and if it has I totally want to use it because that would be awesome).
    Last edited by JCPuf; 12-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCPuf View Post
    Wardog, I apologize. I had filled in those system requirements when I registered, but I must have made an error in saving them. In any case, they're up now for your persual, though I'm afraid you won't learn anything you didn't already find out. I'm ordering the replacement 2x4GB kit from the list of supported RAM now: knowing that my friend had been running the 1866 speed RAM, I chose this one which was only $2 more expensive than the 1600: Newegg.com - AMD Radeon Performance Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model AP38G1869U1K
    Um, what list are you looking at, and where? I can't find that set on any list.

Um, what list are you looking at, and where? I can't find that set on any list.
    Crap. I was looking at this list:http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?...xtreme3%20R2.0 and went and found the AMD 1600 that's explicitly supported there, then upgraded to the 1866 based on the idea that 1) the AMD 1600 is supported and 2) my friend was running 1866.

This one is the AMD 4GB 1600 mentioned in the above list, I believe:
    Newegg.com - AMD Radeon Entertainment Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AE38G1609U1K
    Is it safe to assume that if the AMD 4GB 1600 is right then if my friend was using the 1866 RAM previously that I can as well?
    Last edited by JCPuf; 12-02-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information