Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

JCPuf is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

Hi, I don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

I've got this old laptop that's falling apart, and some of my friends gave me a bunch of stuff to get me started building a new computer. So there is an Asrock 870 Extreme3 with an AMD Phenom X4 processor. I bought a single stick of 8gb DDR3 1600 and installed it in the A1 slot. With no RAM I get the three beeps on POST, with RAM in I get no beeps, and a "d0" error displayed on the 2-digit LED display on the motherboard. This occurs whether I have it in the A1 or B1 slot. I can't see my BIOS, and I suppose it's because of something failing in the POST here?

I've been blaming my failure to see the BIOS on the GPUs I was using (NVIDIA Quadro 4500 and 4600) which are also sort of found-parts, but now I'm wondering if it's this. I saw something about a UCC mode, and I don't really know what that means, but apparently it has something to do with running the memory dual-channel for minor performance boosts? I only have one stick of RAM, though, so if my friend who gifted me this was running two sticks and had it in UCC mode maybe there's a jumper set to this effect that's making it confused? I wouldn't know where to look for that and god forbid I should start randomly shuffling jumpers around. What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

Please read #1 in my Sig and follow with listing out all parts please. This gives us an understanding of what it is you're working with there.

Have you connected the PSU's 4pin or 8pin ATX12V power to the left upper part of the MB? If the PSU only has a 4pin ATX12, look in the manual for the proper orientation in the MB's 8-pin connection.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? There might yet be some settings in there left over from the last CPU and or memory used on it.

If you don't have the User Manual for it, it can be downloaded using THIS link.
    CORRECTED USER MANUAL LINK IN ABOVE LINE
    Last edited by - wardog -; 12-01-2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: corrected the UM link
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

BTW, Hello and Welcome to TweakTown.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    If you don't have the User Manual for it, it can be downloaded using THIS link.
    My bad. The link I used above was to the R2.0 version. Please use THIS link for the original 870 Extreme3 User Manual.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes, POST is failing during the D0 phase. D0 is a CPU error, what do you know about that processor, should it be fine? Are you sure it is mounted correctly?

There are so many variations of the Phenom X4 processor listed in the CPU compatibility list, and some of them are compatible only with the latest BIOS version, 1.60.

Everything that wardog said is important to do and check, actually required. One or two sticks of RAM should be used in slots A2 and/or B2.

This board supports a maximum of 16GB of memory, and there are no 8GB memory models listed in the memory support list. So that may be part of the problem, or one that will occur later.

UCC stands for Unlock CPU Core, a feature on some AMD boards that allows disabled CPU cores to be activated on some processors. UCC is not related to memory.

Arrow Re: Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

Thanks Wardog :)

The manual unfortunately doesn't have a pinout for using a 4-pin PSU power with the CPU. If you think it's the problem I can probably swing a more interesting PSU, I've got this big fancy thing with three fans and blue wires, though it's been half-disassembled I can probably put it back together, and I bet it has the requisite 8-pin CPU power plug. That said, using the 8-pin power input for the CPU with this PSU's built-in plug gives me only one option that fits the shaped posts of the plug, and I've got it plugged into that.

The manual does have a (pretty wacky) interpretation for the d0 error: "Go to flat mode with 4GB limit and GA20 enabled. Verify the bootblockchecksum."
    Hilariously opaque!

Do I need to hop in the car and go hunting for an 8-pin CPU power supply? A bunch of boards say yes, but I assume the correct answer to that depends on the power requirements of this CPU, and I don't really feel qualified to answer that (but I bet you do!)

"pinout' for using a 4pin PSU provided ATX12V1 can be found on the top of pg 27 of the linked online manual, in gray. Notice the latch tab on the MB's 8pin connector and orient the PSU's 4pin to it.

Also, as pasec implies, knowing what X4 you have and also knowing just what BIOS the MB is currently flashed to might go a long way in helping.

Wardog, I see it now. I have the CPU power plugged in in that way, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, POST is failing during the D0 phase. D0 is a CPU error, what do you know about that processor, should it be fine? Are you sure it is mounted correctly?
    I didn't actually ever touch the processor, it came to me already mounted as he'd been using it, so I'm pretty confident it's well-mounted.

One or two sticks of RAM should be used in slots A2 and/or B2.
    Okay, I tried moving it to the *2 slots and got the same results.

This board supports a maximum of 16GB of memory, and there are no 8GB memory models listed in the memory support list. So that may be part of the problem, or one that will occur later.
    Oh maaaaann...

The manual interpretation for that d0 code is " Go to flat mode with 4GB limit and GA20 enabled. Verify the bootblock checksum." I read in "870 extreme3 debug code "d0" help!" that the GA20 refers to a gate in the CPU and flat mode means the dual-channel RAM is disabled, which isn't a problem (is it?) when I have only one stick of RAM. However, I have that single 8gb DDR3 because I didn't realize this sort of problem was on the horizon, but I sure would hate to be stuck with a $60 RAM stick that I cannot use. Is that the case? Is it just too big for the motherboard to use? Aw man say it ain't so.

The site I linked to above said to turn off the UCC feature, which is why I was wondering about it.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It sounds like the board and CPU were a pair before you had them, so I guess we can assume that's Ok.

You might be Ok with the four pin CPU power cable, since the CPU does not need extreme amounts of power when booting, assuming that it is not over clocked in the BIOS now.

The next question is, what make and model of PSU are you using? Yes it does matter.

The memory controller is part of the CPU, as is common now. That causes restrictions on what memory can be used. You can't just use any random memory with current processors, and as yours is a bit older and seems limited to 16GB max, 8GB memory modules quite likely will not work.

Actually, I just found another twist on the memory compatibility. Given that you have an AMD Phenom X4 processor (and not a Phenom II), I was checking out the specs for the many variations (21) available.

The rated memory speed for all these processors is 1066, your memory is 1600. Most if not all memory will default to a lower speed when first put in a board, and must be adjusted to run at the rated speed. The default speed of a current 8GB module is probably 1333. I don't know how conservative the memory speed spec is on these processors, wardog may be able to answer that question, but IMO this is just another strike against the memory you have, sorry to say.

Check out all the specs and models here: AMD Phenom X4 microprocessor family

Scroll down the page and click on the links for each model. No way to tell which model you have until you can get into the BIOS or Windows, besides removing the CPU cooler. That is, unless your friend can tell you. Not that it matters that much at this point IMO.

Final question, and really a request (for your sake), did you clear the BIOS/CMOS yet?!

Unless you do that, the memory settings are for whatever memory was used before you got it.

Yes, the board and CPU were a pair. Sorry about my lack of vocabulary, I'm really completely untutored at this.

PSU: Norwood Micro, Model No: ISO-P350S, switching 115/230.

Clearing the CMOS requires reset, while holding down the CMOS button (which crosses the clear CMOS jumpers), right? If I do that, it gives the code 00 (pass control to OS loader) but doesn't output video, and on subsequent resetting without the CMOS button held down goes back to the d0 condition.

My friend told me that he'd been using DD3 1866, with this motherboard and CPU, so that means either this CPU/mobo combo is in fact compatible with this memory speed, or that he's wrong about the memory speed or CPU. It seems uncharacteristic of him to be wrong about this sort of thing, he's an electrical engineer who is really, really into high performance gaming, so does that mean we can assume that the CPU is capable of performing way over spec (is that the right term?) on memory? Otherwise I don't know how to interpret this information.

I'm feeling like the primary large RAM incompatibility you mentioned is probably correct, unless you tell me something I don't know (wouldn't be hard) about PSUs. Newegg totally gave me a return number on it so that won't be a huge ballbreaking problem like I thought it would. What do you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information