Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z87 Extreme4: Intel Rapid Storage/RAID Issue

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme4: Intel Rapid Storage/RAID Issue

I'd say that is a good plan, installing to the old HDD first, and take it from there.

IMO, the OROM mismatch is not the issue, 98% of the Intel mother boards in use using RAID do not have matching OROMs. The only way you'll ever have that situation, given newer versions of IRST, is to use a modded BIOS with an updated OROM. Plus IRST 12.8 did not have a matching OROM update, at least at first and possibly to this day. The latest IRST OROM I am aware of is version 12.7....

Be sure to clear that CMOS before you start over again, and I mean installing to the old HDD. Of course have the SATA mode set to RAID. NO UEFI OROM, please!! That is really only for a true UEFI booting, EFI Windows installation.

Yeah, I did just about everything as clean as possible. I tried both single HDD and dual HDD (RAID1) Windows installations. Both survived 30-or-more shutdown/restart cycles, so I decided it was time to give RAID5 another shot.

Steps taken: Extract IRST version 12.5.0.1066 F6/Floppy Windows installation RAID driver files to a USB Flash Drive on an alternate system, then remove the USB drive and plug it into the new Z87 build.
    Supply power to the new Z87 build, then press and release the CLRCMOS button.
    Upon a successful CLRCMOS cycle, enter the UEFI when prompted.
    Enter Advanced>Storage and change AHCI to RAID, then save & exit.
    Upon restart, hit CTRL+I to enter the IRST OROM.
    Create the RAID5 array, then exit.
    Enter the UEFI and go to the Boot tab to set the boot order, including the newly found Intel RAID array, then save & exit.
    Press F11 select the boot device.
    Insert the Windows 7 install disc into the optical drive, then select it as the boot device.
    Begin Windows installation.
    When Windows asks where to install the OS, select Load Driver.
    Windows should search the USB drive and find the appropriate 8-series Chipset RAID driver.
    Confirm its installation.
    Now the RAID5 array should appear on the Disk selection.
    Select it and click install to use the full capacity of the array as a single drive, or click advanced to partition it manually.
    Once the install completes the required two reboots and you're at the desktop, it's time to install drivers.
    Install the Intel INF driver package and restart.
    Install the Intel ME driver package and restart.
    Install the Intel RST driver and utility package and restart.
    etc... etc... etc...

So far (knock on wood), this particular RAID5 install has gone smoothly. (Though I probably just jinxed it...) Windows is updating, but I have yet to transfer all my back-up files to the array. Maybe transferring that much data in one sitting was what ruined the previous installs... I really don't know. But this time, all is going as it should.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Good, glad to hear that. Sound like you install Windows and drivers just as I do, identical order of the Intel drivers which IMO is essential. The rest can be installed as etc...

No one could possibly be more glad than I that this system seems to be fine, this time. I'm just hopeful it lasts.

As for driver installation order, it only makes sense to install subsystem drivers first and foremost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information