Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Find Heatsink that fits ASRock LGA2011

Default Can't Find Heatsink that fits ASRock LGA2011

I have an ASRock EP2C602-2L+/D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 with an Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP LGA 2011 but can not find a cpu heatsink that fits the motherboard's built-in mounting bracket. I've already purchased two different heatsinks that support LGA 2011 but neither fit.

Reaching out to ASRock directly as well as Newegg (where I purchased the motherboard & cpu combo per their recommendation) and neither have resulted in a valid recommendation for how to best secure a heatsink to the cpu.

Hoping that this forum can help.

Thanks

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can't Find Heatsink that fits ASRock LGA2011

Quote Originally Posted by glassuser View Post
    I have an ASRock EP2C602-2L+/D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 with an Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 Ivy Bridge-EP LGA 2011 but can not find a cpu heatsink that fits the motherboard's built-in mounting bracket. I've already purchased two different heatsinks that support LGA 2011 but neither fit.

Reaching out to ASRock directly as well as Newegg (where I purchased the motherboard & cpu combo per their recommendation) and neither have resulted in a valid recommendation for how to best secure a heatsink to the cpu.

Hoping that this forum can help.

Thanks
    As you have seen, your boards socket, or more correctly its ILM (Independent Loading Mechanism) is not the same as the ones normally used on single CPU socket 2011 boards.

I managed to find the following in an Intel document, which explains it quite simply. Sorry I had to copy and paste, the editor won't let me upload a jpg or jpeg file for some reason.

Square ILM: Independent Loading Mechanism provides the force needed to seat the 2011-LGA package onto the socket contacts and has 80 80mm heatsink mounting hole pattern

Narrow ILM: Independent Loading Mechanism provides the force needed to seat the 2011-LGA package onto the socket contacts and has 56 94mm heatsink mounting hole pattern.

Document: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...rmal-guide.pdf

Section C of this document lists Component Suppliers of "Thermal Solutions" that will fit both square and narrow ILM sockets.

So your board has the Narrow ILM socket, whose mounting points are very different than the Square ILM socket.

Don't forget, it's not the socket that is different, it is the ILM (square or narrow) that is different. Intel does not differentiate the two types in any way besides Narrow or Square ILM. You need a heatsink that fits Socket 2011-0 ILM Narrow.

Or, if a CPU cooler manufacture sells brackets/adapters for socket 2011 narrow ILMs, that is what you need. Good luck.

Cool Re: Can't Find Heatsink that fits ASRock LGA2011

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    As you have seen, your boards socket, or more correctly its ILM (Independent Loading Mechanism) is not the same as the ones normally used on single CPU socket 2011 boards.

I managed to find the following in an Intel document, which explains it quite simply. Sorry I had to copy and paste, the editor won't let me upload a jpg or jpeg file for some reason.

Square ILM: Independent Loading Mechanism provides the force needed to seat the 2011-LGA package onto the socket contacts and has 80 80mm heatsink mounting hole pattern

Narrow ILM: Independent Loading Mechanism provides the force needed to seat the 2011-LGA package onto the socket contacts and has 56 94mm heatsink mounting hole pattern.

Document: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...rmal-guide.pdf

Section C of this document lists Component Suppliers of "Thermal Solutions" that will fit both square and narrow ILM sockets.

So your board has the Narrow ILM socket, whose mounting points are very different than the Square ILM socket.

Don't forget, it's not the socket that is different, it is the ILM (square or narrow) that is different. Intel does not differentiate the two types in any way besides Narrow or Square ILM. You need a heatsink that fits Socket 2011-0 ILM Narrow.

Or, if a CPU cooler manufacture sells brackets/adapters for socket 2011 narrow ILMs, that is what you need. Good luck.

Thank you tons for this very detailed and helpful reply! I measured my board and it was in fact the 56 x 94mm Narrow ILM socket - I purchased this Dynatron heatsink from Amazon for anyone else who happens to run into this issue in the future: Amazon.com: Dynatron T318 1U Passive CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 2011 Narrow Type: Computers & Accessories

Thanks again!

Sure thing!

Just curious, how are you cooling the heatsink, mounting the board in a server style case with powerful fans, or what?

I have a Dynatron CPU cooler, similar in style to the stock Intel cooler but with a backplate and spring pressured screws. Built very nicely.

As of now I have an ATX case that works with the SSI EEB form factor of the ASRock mobo - so I was just using the fans the case has accessible.

The ATX case comes with 3 120mm fans but I had to remove 1 to make room for the mobo.

After reading your comment, I'm thinking this might not suffice. Any suggestions?

Yes, you basically would be running the CPU(s) with passive cooling, meaning no fan(s) mounted directly on the heatsink. Your Xeon is an 8 core, 115W TDP processor, which means you need to dissipate more heat than an i7-2600K processor, which has a 95W TDP.

That Dynatron heatsink is meant to be used in a server chassis, with powerful and loud fans pulling air across it. The specs for server component cooling is done in linear feet of air per minute, which is unheard of in home PC usage.

I really don't think you can use that heatsink in a standard PC case with only the case fans for air flow. Every PC I have has a lower TDP processor than yours, and I have large heatsinks with 120mm fans on them, plus case fans. If it did work that Xeon would be running hot all the time. I don't have direct experience with a setup like you are considering, but I doubt that simple heatsink would be enough.

Dynatron makes two coolers that will fit your socket/ILM:

Dynatron R24 Socket LGA 2011 for 2U Best CPU Cooler, View best cpu cooler, Dynatron Product Details from DYNAEON INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. on Alibaba.com

Dynatron R14 Socket LGA 2011 2U Heatsink CPU Cooler, View CPU Cooler, Dynatron Product Details from DYNAEON INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD. on Alibaba.com

They will be loud as can be since the fans are small and run at high RPM.

What is the intent of your PC build with this board?

I don't know what your experience level is regarding building PCs, but that board and CPUs need special attention.

You do know that this board only supports Windows Server OS's, like 2008 and 2012, you can't use Windows 7 or 8 with it.

That linked passive HS would work if you used a 1U chassis as the vertical inside dimensions practically guarantee the moving air will pass over and through it.

My choice at NewEgg: LGA2011 4U Active w/both Square and Narrow ILM mounting, 92mm fan - SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4 @ $37.99USD + shipping

Next would be to experiment and find a quieter fan for it. One that still provides adequate air flow.

SuperMicro also offers the LGA2011 SNK-P0048AP4, 2U+ Active Square and Narrow ILM mounting but it uses an 80mm fan. 80mm probably because they're screamers.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Yea, if I got that SNK-P0050AP4 I'd definitely find a quieter fan that still cooled well enough. One reviewer at NewEgg suggests a Noctua model.

THIS page at SM states the fan runs 3,800RPM @ 38dB A Weighted
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    SuperMicro also offers the LGA2011 SNK-P0048AP4, 2U+ Active Square and Narrow ILM mounting but it uses an 80mm fan. 80mm probably because they're screamers.
    Yeppers. They're 80mm screamers. 8,400RPM @ 52dB A Weighted.

Thank you both tons for your very insightful help and comments - I really can't express how appreciative I am.

I'm building a virtual currency mining setup and intend to use Ubuntu as my base OS. I've seen another mobo very similar to mine in model (ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 SSI EEB Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 DDR3 1600/1333/1066 - Newegg.com) that supports Ubuntu according to Newegg - linked mobo is EP2C602-4L/D16 and mine is EP2C602-2L+/D16 so I'm going off the assumption the same family of board should suffice when it comes to Ubuntu.

After examining the referenced cpu heatsinks, I couldn't agree more that active cooling is the only way to go. That being said, I'm leaning towards the Dynatron R14 2U+ Narrow ILM since it will provide the cooling needed and will still fit in my ATX case (again, which itself fits the form factor of the SSI EEB of the mobo). A great reference of all Dynatron cpu coolers for comparison (http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/prod..._guide_en.aspx)

I probably shouldve gone with a traditional rack chasis, but since its just a structural support system for the rig and not much more, I chose the ATX case because i didnt need all the bells & whistles of a rack and it was also in my price range.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by glassuser; 12-17-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information