Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install SSD boot drive and 2 HDD in RAID1 in Windows 8

Default Re: How to install SSD boot drive and 2 HDD in RAID1 in Windows 8

I've got almost the same configuration as EnglishmaninNY and managed to install with the help of this thread (thank you) and the Asrock manual English.pdf win 8.1 on my single volume SSD and I managed to configure a RAID1 disk for my data.
    I did so following the "Way 1" method using the legacy RAID ROM. It works but I am not happy with it: I configure a RAID1 to get a more reliable computer and to better secure my data. During boot up anybody can enter the AMD-RAID Controller bij typing "Control R" and wipe all my data by initializing the discs. No password protection on this Legacy RAID ROM.

Therefore I tried the "Way 2" method via UEFI but got stuck as soon as I entered the UEFI shell. The command rcadm is not recognized. According to the manual this file should be copied to the USB drive using the Easy Raid Installer option in the Uefi setup. It does not do so. The support CD does not contain a file rcadm.efi. Neither can I find this file on the Asrock website.

I would be very glad with advice how to get hold of this file or with an alternative Uefi way.

Leohenricus

PS
    Today, january 5, I received a (quick) answer from Asrock support whom I had asked the same question.

"Hello, the location of RCADM.EFI on our website is not clear, I admit that.
    Please find it in “AMD Bolton RAID Driver ver:6.1.0.00117” that can be downloaded here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X...load&os=Win864

Thanks. Best regards, ASRock Support"

Problem solved :)
    Last edited by leohenricus; 01-06-2014 at 04:46 AM.

Hi Leo,

I'm also trying to do exactly as OP & You.

Can you please tell me how you are able to use RCADM.EFI from shell? I copied files to my USB and plugged to my PC but unable to use rcadm command.

I was able to install OS (SSD) in RAID mode with this driver.

Raj

parsec is offline Senior Member

Rajesh, I assume you were unable to use the Rcadm.efi command because it was not found? Or did you see another error message?

You might need to use the full path name to the command. For example, if the USB drive is drive E: in Windows, then you would need to type, E:, to change or move to the USB drive. If the Rcadm.efi program is in the main folder of the USB drive, then you just type, Rcadm.efi. Otherwise you then type in the path to the folder(s) with the program name at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Rajesh, I assume you were unable to use the Rcadm.efi command because it was not found? Or did you see another error message?

You might need to use the full path name to the command. For example, if the USB drive is drive E: in Windows, then you would need to type, E:, to change or move to the USB drive. If the Rcadm.efi program is in the main folder of the USB drive, then you just type, Rcadm.efi. Otherwise you then type in the path to the folder(s) with the program name at the end.

Thanks parsec, I was able to run rcadm command. I can see my 1 X SSD + 3 X 3TB HDD using command "rcadm M qa". But while initializing disk using "rcadm -M -id -d 2" i'm getting below error. Please suggest.

Uninitialized disk or disk with unknown state found, Unknown Online, Disk 2. Disk 2 not present or valid
    Regards.
    Rajesh

Quote Originally Posted by Rajesh Mukkala View Post
    Thanks parsec, I was able to run rcadm command. I can see my 1 X SSD + 3 X 3TB HDD using command "rcadm M qa". But while initializing disk using "rcadm -M -id -d 2" i'm getting below error. Please suggest.

Regards.
    Rajesh
    Given the error message, it seems like whichever Disk 2 is, it was not initialized in Windows. Is that disk new, or had a "diskpart clean" command run on it?

Given the error message, it seems like whichever Disk 2 is, it was not initialized in Windows. Is that disk new, or had a "diskpart clean" command run on it?

Just purchased today and connected directly and trying to initialize.

That's what I thought. If you boot Windows, that drive should not be seen by Windows, correct?

Start Disk Management in Windows, and it should prompt you to Initialize the disk. Just follow the prompts and it will be finished quickly.

After that, go back to the RAID configuration and it should work now.

That's what I thought. If you boot Windows, that drive should not be seen by Windows, correct?

Start Disk Management in Windows, and it should prompt you to Initialize the disk. Just follow the prompts and it will be finished quickly.

After that, go back to the RAID configuration and it should work now.

In that case. I need to first install OS (SSD) in ACHI mode and initialize HDD and re install OS in RAID mode and configure RAID? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Raj

I don't want you to go all through that work to find it doesn't help you at all, just in case it doesn't.

Do you have another Windows PC that you can connect that drive to and initialize it? I suppose it is also possible the new drive is just defective.

You could try in on any PC, that of a relative or friend. That drive does not need to be initialized on the PC you intend to use it with, any Windows PC with Windows 7 or 8 will do fine.

charlietrf is offline Junior Member

I came across this thread (and the Tweaktown forum) while trying to chase down info on commands to use with the rcadm.efi programme that came with my new Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H motherboard, who's manual was rather too brief on details. This tread certainly helped me by suggesting that I needed to initialise the HDDs in my proposed RAID array. This sent me back to the very helpful appendix of rcadm commands I'd found online in the ASROCK manual - link: <cite class="_Od">ftp://asrock.cn/manual/raid/FM2A88X%...6+/English.pdf (see pages 32 to 39).</cite> This has some useful examples, including one that enabled me to initialise my HDDs, and hence then successfully build my RAID array. So it's not really necessary to cart your HDDs off to another PC or use Windows (8) to do the initialisation. I hope that's helpful to others with issues like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information