Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to install SSD boot drive and 2 HDD in RAID1 in Windows 8

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How to install SSD boot drive and 2 HDD in RAID1 in Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by charlietrf View Post
    I came across this thread (and the Tweaktown forum) while trying to chase down info on commands to use with the rcadm.efi programme that came with my new Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H motherboard, who's manual was rather too brief on details. This tread certainly helped me by suggesting that I needed to initialise the HDDs in my proposed RAID array. This sent me back to the very helpful appendix of rcadm commands I'd found online in the ASROCK manual - link: <cite class="_Od">ftp://asrock.cn/manual/raid/FM2A88X%...6+/English.pdf (see pages 32 to 39).</cite> This has some useful examples, including one that enabled me to initialise my HDDs, and hence then successfully build my RAID array. So it's not really necessary to cart your HDDs off to another PC or use Windows (8) to do the initialisation. I hope that's helpful to others with issues like this.
    I agree, but that was not the point of why I suggested he try the drive in another PC. He wanted to verify that the drive was functioning correctly, which is why I suggested another PC. Also, he mentioned installing Windows in AHCI mode, initialize the drive, and then reinstall Windows in RAID mode. That was the main thing I wanted him to avoid, as it is unnecessary.

charlietrf is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the responce parsec. I agree with you about using another PC to check the HDD, if you're not sure it's OK, and not following an unecessarily complicated route to what's required. The thing is, I had exactly the same issue: because I (until I found this thread online) didn't know about initialising the HDDs before trying to build the RAID array I'd followed the same route of assuming an hardware issue with either the data cable(s) or HDD(s) and so I'd already done those swop-outs exactly as you suggest. This eliminated there being a hardware issue but still left me with the original problem.

As I said, this thread (bless it) put me on the right track and pointed me back at the appendix in the the ASRock motherboard manual that gave verbose details of the rcadm command line. Based on my own recent experience, what I was hoping to highlight was the very useful information in that ASRock manual appendix which was not that easy to find or fully understand from the position of ignorance I was in when I first found it. So, from my experience with this particular problem, it may be quicker and easier to first assume there's not a hardware issue and try using the rcadm initialise command line to see if that fixes it.

Finally, I will say that we all have our own ways of approaching and solving problems - and that is a very good thing, as that is what gets results and is how we all gain and learn from someone coming up with a better path to the solution - we all just have to be open-minded and prepared to adapt and adopt new ways when shown there's a better way. After 40+ years of fault-finding I'm still delighted to be learning from guys like you anyway!

whelanc is offline Junior Member

<dl class="userinfo_extra"><dd><!-- asus --><!----><!-- /asus -->Ok - need some help.

I recently upgraded my home built Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.1. When I did so, I lost my RAID 1 Array that was previously working. The RAID 1 was not my system drive but my data. My system drive is a Samsung 240GB SSD.

The Array (2 x 2 TB Seagate Barracude 7200) show up in the Seagate utility as a drive. However, the drive is not visible. In Diskmgmt.msc, the drive shows up without a letter, and my only option there is to "delete" not to assign a letter. In Diskmgmt, the two drives are listed below, but the option to "reactivate" them does nothing.

I do not want to reformat the drives, but would like to be able to properly mount them.

I installed Windows 8.1 from the web, without a disk. Therefore, I did not install any RAID/SATA drivers during the install. Thought I would do so afterwards, but it does not seem to be working.

The Motherboard is a: ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Though I did help build this, I was not primary "builder" so I do not know if my original RAID was done within the ASUS MB or Windows 7. The other builder is unavailable for consult.

Any help would be appreciated - I may need to do somethin in UEFI, but I honestly don't know.</dd></dl>

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whelanc View Post
    Ok - need some help.

I recently upgraded my home built Windows 7 PC to Windows 8.1. When I did so, I lost my RAID 1 Array that was previously working. The RAID 1 was not my system drive but my data. My system drive is a Samsung 240GB SSD.

The Array (2 x 2 TB Seagate Barracude 7200) show up in the Seagate utility as a drive. However, the drive is not visible. In Diskmgmt.msc, the drive shows up without a letter, and my only option there is to "delete" not to assign a letter. In Diskmgmt, the two drives are listed below, but the option to "reactivate" them does nothing.

I do not want to reformat the drives, but would like to be able to properly mount them.

I installed Windows 8.1 from the web, without a disk. Therefore, I did not install any RAID/SATA drivers during the install. Thought I would do so afterwards, but it does not seem to be working.

The Motherboard is a: ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Though I did help build this, I was not primary "builder" so I do not know if my original RAID was done within the ASUS MB or Windows 7. The other builder is unavailable for consult.

Any help would be appreciated - I may need to do somethin in UEFI, but I honestly don't know.</dd></dl>
    **** Mods will probably move this question about an ASUS board system out of the ASRock support forum as some point ****

Could be several things that caused that problem, individually or combined, and are all related.

You don't know if it's an Intel RAID volume or a Windows dynamic disk? Not good...

First, can you confirm that the SATA mode is set to RAID or something else in the board's BIOS/UEFI? If it is not RAID, changing it to RAID most likely will not work.

Have you cleared the BIOS/CMOS recently? DO NOT do so, just asking.

You said installing a RAID driver does not seem to be working? Does that mean you installed the RAID driver successfully, but afterwards the RAID 1 volume did not work? Or something else?

X79 boards by default use a different RAID driver than ALL other Intel chipsets/boards. But some X79 boards have a BIOS option to use the standard Intel RAID driver. This could be one cause of your problem.

A working RAID volume will not appear as separate drives in Disk Management. Do NOT do anything else to those drives, you may be able to recover the RAID 1 volume, but not if you change them in any way. Do not do any fixes that you are uncertain about, the "I hope this works..." method most likely won't, and will make things worse.

In Windows Programs and Features, find entries with Intel in their name, and tell us if you see anything with the words "Rapid Storage..." in it. If so, we need to know exactly what it says.

To much critical information missing in the first post to go any further, answer my questions and we'll go from there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information