Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    4

    Default ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low





    i have a problem, the microphone recording volume is too low

    this is same problem msi z87

    MSI USA

    but i can't

    plz help me

  2. #2
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    What model of microphone are you using, and where is it connected?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    4

    Unhappy Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What model of microphone are you using, and where is it connected?

    mic is not the important thing,

    mic volume maximum is less, barely 12db

    this is not hardware problem but software problem

    may be..

  4. #4
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    I see that Realtek had a driver update to increase the gain of the microphone input from 12dB to 30dB.

    That still does not take into account the varying impedance of microphones. Microphones are not standardized like audio loudspeakers are, and have widely varying impedance and output levels.

    Impedance levels of microphones are classified as:

    Low Impedance (less than 600Ω)
    Medium Impedance (600Ω - 10,000Ω)
    High Impedance (greater than 10,000Ω)

    If you have a high impedance microphone, it will have a low volume level. PCs need a low impedance microphone, from ~1000 ohms or less.

    Since your microphone did not provide adequate volume on two PCs, with the new driver that added extra gain, I can only assume that your (unknown) microphone is a high impedance type, and/or has a low output level.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I see that Realtek had a driver update to increase the gain of the microphone input from 12dB to 30dB.

    That still does not take into account the varying impedance of microphones. Microphones are not standardized like audio loudspeakers are, and have widely varying impedance and output levels.

    Impedance levels of microphones are classified as:

    Low Impedance (less than 600Ω)
    Medium Impedance (600Ω - 10,000Ω)
    High Impedance (greater than 10,000Ω)

    If you have a high impedance microphone, it will have a low volume level. PCs need a low impedance microphone, from ~1000 ohms or less.

    Since your microphone did not provide adequate volume on two PCs, with the new driver that added extra gain, I can only assume that your (unknown) microphone is a high impedance type, and/or has a low output level.





    i have 2 things

    i tested behind pannel, and fromt pannel

    but same problem
    Last edited by taerya; 12-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    Grab the newest Realtek HD audio driver and this problem should be fixed. To ~30db anyways.

    THIS MSI Tech Support page describes your problem, and remedy.

    Taken from above link:
    Code:
    Realtek ALC1150 - Microphone recording volume too low
    
    This issue is associated with Realtek driver setting, which has 12dB as the maximum microphone recording volume.
    Updating the Realtek HD audio driver to v7102 will increase the maximum microphone recording volume to 30dB.
    You can also increase the volume of microphone and microphone boost manually depending on your needs.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

    #2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

    #3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

  7. #7
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    He might have that update already, given the screenshot in the first post.

    Apparently the "Ozone Rage" microphone impedance is 2.2K Ohm. If that is typical of PC microphones, why did Realtek set the microphone gain so low? That impedance is still in the medium range.

    Adding gain is not without side effects, it can't be increased without compromising something else, like S/N ratio. The next problem will be to much hiss and noise.

    I wonder if Realtek gave the mother board manufactures bad specs for the impedance values of associated components (resistors) for the microphone inputs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 microphone volume is too low

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    He might have that update already, given the screenshot in the first post.

    Apparently the "Ozone Rage" microphone impedance is 2.2K Ohm. If that is typical of PC microphones, why did Realtek set the microphone gain so low? That impedance is still in the medium range.

    Adding gain is not without side effects, it can't be increased without compromising something else, like S/N ratio. The next problem will be to much hiss and noise.

    I wonder if Realtek gave the mother board manufactures bad specs for the impedance values of associated components (resistors) for the microphone inputs.

    i solved the problem.

    i didn't install the realtek drivers, install only windows7 auto driver

    but i can't understand why not realtek driver

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •