Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 990FX Win 8.1 USB and eSata not working

Default Re: 990FX Win 8.1 USB and eSata not working

I just selected "Windows Boot Manager" as the boot option and it seems to be working. I've never seen this as an option thus was confused and unknowledgable. Is this correct?

I'm still encountering a system freeze sometimes when I plug a USB device in a USB port. I just plugged the USB 3 Toshiba 2.5" drive in one of the front ports of my tower, the Toshiba white light came on which means it was detected as USB 2 and the system froze my only recourse was to press the reset button. I removed the Toshiba drive and hit the reset.

I then connected the Toshiba drive to the back of the tower USB 3 port coming off the MB. It was properly detected and I could use it.
    jgt
    Desktop-S4 (Win8.1 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, 12TB (4-3TB Drives), Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 840EVO SSD , Dual Monitors, GeForce GTX470, Motherboard Asrock 990 Extreme 9, AMD Phenom™ II 1090T 6 core), Power Supply Corsair AX1200. Tower Cooler Master HAF 942)
    Laptop Lenovo W700 (Win8 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, 1-240GB SSD Boot drive 1-500GB data drive)

Please confirm I have the correct Storage Configuration settings, following are what I currently have
    • SATA Controller - Enabled
    • SATA Mode - AHCI
    • AMD AHCI BIOS ROM - Disabled
    • SATA IDE Combined Mode - Disabled
    • Aggressive Link Power Management - Enabled
    • Hard Disk SMART - Enabled
    • ASMedia SATA3 Mode - Enabled
    • SATA Boot ROM - Disabled

I read through the manual regarding BIOS but most of it was like water on a duck's back. I see the words but very often I have no idea what the heck they are trying to tell me. OK so I'm old and slow.
    jgt
    Desktop-S4 (Win8.1 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, 12TB (4-3TB Drives), Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 840EVO SSD , Dual Monitors, GeForce GTX470, Motherboard Asrock 990 Extreme 9, AMD Phenom™ II 1090T 6 core), Power Supply Corsair AX1200. Tower Cooler Master HAF 942)
    Laptop Lenovo W700 (Win8 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, 1-240GB SSD Boot drive 1-500GB data drive)

Quote Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
    I just selected "Windows Boot Manager" as the boot option and it seems to be working. I've never seen this as an option thus was confused and unknowledgable. Is this correct?[/COLOR]
    With Windows 8.x I believe that's correct. I don't use Win8. I remember reading that it may show up as that in the bios, reasons unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
    Please confirm I have the correct Storage Configuration settings, following are what I currently have
    • SATA Controller - Enabled
    • SATA Mode - AHCI
    • AMD AHCI BIOS ROM - Disabled
    • SATA IDE Combined Mode - Disabled
    • Aggressive Link Power Management - Enabled
    • Hard Disk SMART - Enabled
    • ASMedia SATA3 Mode - Enabled
    • SATA Boot ROM - Disabled

I read through the manual regarding BIOS but most of it was like water on a duck's back. I see the words but very often I have no idea what the heck they are trying to tell me. OK so I'm old and slow.
    That looks good to me.

Easy with the "old and slow'. I'm feeling my age today and it ain't pretty.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information