Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with UEFI setup

Default Help with UEFI setup

I am in the process of trying to find why my MSI HD7770 card is not recognized by my ASRock Z77 extreme 4 mobo (Intel Core i5 3450) So I beat on the Del key at POST and get a password request at ;the UEFI set up. I don't remember ever doing a password at the initial installation. I tried all my tried and true PW s. So ;how do I make a new password to log in and begin to see why my MSI card is not recognized so that the DVI port will work???

Default Re: Help with UEFI setup

First, I would reaser the defaults, or better yest clear everything and start over. I might also re-flash the BIOS even if it is the latest firmware.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by drhck View Post
    I am in the process of trying to find why my MSI HD7770 card is not recognized by my ASRock Z77 extreme 4 mobo (Intel Core i5 3450) So I beat on the Del key at POST and get a password request at ;the UEFI set up. I don't remember ever doing a password at the initial installation. I tried all my tried and true PW s. So ;how do I make a new password to log in and begin to see why my MSI card is not recognized so that the DVI port will work???
    That's strange, never heard of that happening or seeing it, as I have two of those boards.

Clearing the CMOS/BIOS with the button on the I/O panel, or with the jumper on the board should clear any password that somehow magically appeared. That is the only way you'll get past it. If that does not work, you'll need to clear it by using the jumper on the board and removing the battery from the board for a few minutes. If you use any non-default settings in the BIOS, you must reset them after clearing the CMOS/BIOS.

Your video card may not be selected if you still have a cable connected to the on-CPU graphics via the board's I/O panel. In that case you must select PCI-E as the graphics source in the BIOS, Chipset Configuration screen.

It is possible that the card is not recognized, but check those things first.

Well, I cleared the CMOS on the back of the case and the red light lit and now I can't get windows. None of my function keys work, however, if I punch the delete key, I get the pass word request Screen says ASRock UEFI setup utility as well as tomorrows technology today. I don't know about the jumper thing. I can get into the case but don't know about using a jumper or even what one is. (except on a car) Any suggestions.

This is from your board's manual, which I suggest using to help complete clearing the BIOS:

Help with UEFI setup-z77-bios-jumper-jpg

The jumper is found at item 15 in the picture. The Clear CMOS header has three pins, the removable jumper on the pins connects two pins on that header. Normal position is the jumper on pins 1 and 2. The clear CMOS position is moving the jumper to pins two and three.

First, turn off the PC and unplug from AC power. Open the case, locate the jumper, pull it up carefully and move it to the right to connect pins 2 and three. Leave it there for a few minutes.

You'll need to remove the CMOS Battery as well, its shown in the picture. NOTE the position of the battery before removing it, the side with writing on it is UP. CAREFULLY use a small screwdriver to pry it from its holder. Leave it out for five minutes.

Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1 and 2. The PC won't boot if the jumper is not on pins 1 and 2.

Well, I did what you said exactly, This brought up the ASRock UEFI setup utility AND no password issues. The mouse now works as does the keyboard. However, there are still no F keys that work. So now, how about some guidance on getting my ASUS monitor to work on the DVI instead of the VGA...also maybe some help on installing the MSI video card correctly...Thanks for the previous input on using the CMOS jumper etc.

What keyboard are you using? Does it have its own software that needs installation? Where is it plugged in, a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

Does your monitor have an auto-select input setting? Otherwise you may need to change it manually from VGA to DVI, certainly if both cables are connected.

My keyboard is a Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000. The doggle is plugged into a 3.0 usb port There was no software with it. Plug and play.
    The monitor is an ASUS VS208 N-P. There are 4 adjustment buttons and one on/off. Menu button has several modes and a set up which includes a choice of VGA or DVI. When I have the monitor plugged in to the MSI DVI port, I get no signal. (there is no VGA port) If I plug in the VGA on the onboard VGA port, I only get VGA and the Menu will not allow me to switch to DVI. If I plug into both ports on board, I get a choice of VGA or DVI. I have it on DVI now but really can't notice that much difference. I am not interested in going gaming right now. I just want everything to work correctly. I downloaded the MSI Afterburner and all the updates from the website. As far as the UEFI setup, I pretty much left stuff as recommended but I did not find any thing about interface with a monitor.

It's clear to me that I am lacking something in the MSI setup to activate the card and allow the DVI port to work. Any ideas?

Guess no one is interested in this thread...

As parsec implied in post #3 above, did you go into the BIOS and select PCI-E as your primary graphics; BIOS > Advanced > North Bridge Configuration > Primary Graphics Adapter to "PCI Express".

I've read here you acknowledge everything BUT that.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information