Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can FM2A88X-EXTREME6+ run Windows Server 2012?

Runzor is offline Junior Member

Default Can FM2A88X-EXTREME6+ run Windows Server 2012?

I am trying to setup a AMD based, in particular using the APU (i.e. A8-5600k), computer. Since I would be using it for basic Windows Server 2012 operation, I've been looking for drivers for the motherboard (FM2A88x-Extreme6+) but have yet to find clear information. I understand the board is not made for server usage, but will I be able to get some information, if any, on this issue?

Default Re: Can FM2A88X-EXTREME6+ run Windows Server 2012?

Windows 8 drivers didn't work out for you?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I haven't purchased the board yet cause I worry the drivers won't work with WS2012. I've called the re-seller and ask them about this, but even they said they haven't test the board with WS2012. Therefore, I'm hoping I could get some input from the community or information as to where I can out from ASrock.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The ASRock specs for this board do not include WS 2012 or any version of WS.

WS2012 has been very difficult to get driver support from anywhere. Even basic things like network drivers for Intel NICs are apparently not included with WS2012, and Intel only recently provided some driver support for WS2012.

ASRock has one server board that uses an AMD processor, all the others are Intel. That AMD server board does not include WS2012 in its supported OS list, and the driver download list is empty, none listed. The Intel based server boards that support WS2012 have a few drivers listed, but all are specifically for Intel hardware.

Check AMD's web site to see if you can find any WS2012 compatible drivers for FM2/A88X platforms. If AMD doesn't have any, no one else will, besides what is provided with WS2012.

I came up with somewhat similar conclusion, I was hoping if someone has tested the board with WS2012 using Windows7/8/8.1 drivers; or maybe there's another ASrock MoBo I could consider to setup WS2012 for basic operation (mainly learning purposes)?

Give me a day or three and I'll see how it goes here with installing 2012 on my board.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Much thanks.

Hey Wardog, just wondering if you've got any updates on the MoBo testing with WS2012.

Just answered one of your PM's.

Tomorrow.

Ok, Server 2012.

Yes, it installed. The only driver you'll need is the Atheros lan driver. I used the one from the Windows 8 x64 downloads for the board, "Atheros Lan driver ver:2.1.0.19" , and all is fine and dandy.

Pre-install notes:
    Went into BIOS and set "Load UEFI Defaults"
    Disabled "SATA IDE Combined Mode"

Post-install notes:
    Installed "Atheros Lan driver ver:2.1.0.19" from the FM2A88X Extreme6+ Windows 8 x64 download page
    Disabled Serial Port
    Disabled Infrared Port (will show in Dev Mgr as PNP&DEV_0510, Unknown Device)
    Installed ALL Windows updates, Important and Optional, rebooting where required.

Thread Information