Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)

Ok, that looks like better information, and is making more sense.

The purpose of USBKey is to save multiple passwords for logging into Windows, for example.

When the PC is locked and a password was created for that user/account, what is running within Lock? The Windows login process, LogonUI.exe, waiting for password input.

For some reason, the USBKeyCredentialsProvider process or service is running (do you use USB Key at all?), and is either attempting to get a password to give to the LogonUI.exe process, or validating the request for that data is from the true user of USB Key. That would require the USB flash drive to be connected to the PC to provide the authentication and password data. Not to mention USB Key being configured correctly.

Regardless, it looks like LogonUI.exe is continually being given no password, or bad data, over and over. That would be similar to someone holding down the return key on an empty password input field, but with the added work of trying to find the password by USB Key.

That would seem to be an obvious issue for USB Key to deal with, but I don't have enough information about your PC's configuration of A-Tuning, or if you use USB Key to even begin calling that a bug or not.

The next question is, is that happening on my PC as well, and causing the CPU usage I see. Let me see...

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The next question is, is that happening on my PC as well, and causing the CPU usage I see. Let me see...
    Does it happen on your pc as well?

On my PC it is enough to barely install A-Tuning without having used it once. The 'presence' of that USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll is enough to produce that behaviour. I have never used it before. Yesterday was the first time for testing purposes. Since then my screen gets locked when I unplug any USB device...lol
    And somebody could teach the Live Update section to show newer versions of drivers not as older versions.

I get the 25% CPU usage as I posted earlier. I could not find those messages in Windows logs, but Process Monitor seems to be different and better. I've never used USB Key, and I don't have a password set for Windows, I just click on the Lock screen and it's gone.

So you never used it before that test... now I'm wondering even more, what is going on...

I just PM'd Emily of this anomaly when "Locked". Hopefully she passes to the programmers/coders there the info in this thread and they can look into duplicating it on their end to find the possible cause(s).

Good, thanks wardog. I won't speculate further, since some of us (me) change the way A-Tuning runs by disabling its start up entry in Windows. A-Tuning creates multiple entries in the Windows startup list, some for various features. So fooling with the way it is "supposed to" run may be part of the issue, if it exists.

When I was programming, we were not allowed to have "supposed to" rules, if something could be done in the program's environment, it had to handle it. Which is why most programs are 60% CYA and 40% do the work. UI's are even worse.

I never use Windows Lock, or even have a password set on my ASR Z87 PC.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    A-Tuning creates multiple entries in the Windows startup list, some for various features.
    I've disabled all those startup entries and restarted the machine with no change in the behaviour.
    But I'll try later to change the lockscreen to a non-password screen, maybe it helps when no password input is expected.

I lock my machine frequently and put the monitor into sleep mode with one push of a keyboard shortcut. While measuring with my power meter I was excited to see the improvements of new power saving features like C7. But the power consumption in the locked state was noticeable too high; it is not able to clock down and save power.

Can somebody recommend an alternative tool which shows the rpm of my PWM CPU fan as long as A-Tuning comes up with a new version?
    I tried various tools like Speedfan and HWInfo32, but these don't detect the CPU fan controler, only the case fan speed is shown. A-Tuning shows it correctly, solely.

HWiNFO64 displays the CPU fan speed just fine, I've been using it for years.

A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)-cpu-fan-speed-jpg

I've never had a problem with the CPU fan speed display in HWiNFO64. If you are UEFI booting Windows 8 in Ultra Fast mode, then the board's sensor chip does not have time to fully initialize, and I only see the CPU fan speed, none of the chassis fan headers are shown.

IMO, something is wrong if you cannot get a CPU fan speed reading with HWiNFO.

HV, you feel like twiddling in REGEDIT some more?

The last two paragraphs in THIS link describing disabling the Lock screen, IMO, speak volumes as to why you see this A-Tuning/USB Key/Locked/LogonUI.exe behavior.

Code:
    The change will take effect immediately. To test this, type WINKEY + L to lock the computer. Normally, this would display the Lock screen. But it will now display the Sign In screen instead.

You can further test this by rebooting the computer: Now you’ll go directly to the Sign In screen instead of stopping at the Lock screen.
    THIS link has a bit more info on it and if you prefer they've created reg files instead of manually editing the registry.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I removed the password from lockscreen and still have CPU spikes. The sign-in screen wouldn't be an option for me (and the other users of the machine).
    HWInfo32 sometimes detects the CPU fan, sometimes not:
    Attached Images Attached Images A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)-hwinfo-jpg 
    Last edited by Hybrid Vigor; 12-30-2013 at 10:27 PM.

And sometimes not...
    A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)-hwi2-jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information