Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)

Default A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)

Hi there,

I've found, as statet in the title, that the latest version of A-Tuning causes high CPU usage whan the computer is locked. After unlocking, the usage disappears.
    Windows Recource Manager shows logonui.exe at the top of the processes causing the highest CPU utilisation in average. Googling this phenomenon brings me to these two recen threats from users having the same problem:
    Remotedesktop - LogonUI verursacht permanent 25 % Auslastung - ComputerBase Forum (german and related to Remote Desktop Connections)
    logonui.exe causing high CPU utilization/temperature at lock - Microsoft Community

After uninstalling A-Tuning the CPU utilisation in locked state disappears.

Specs are:
    Windows 8.1
    z87m Pro4
    A-Tuning 2.0.46.2
    All drivers up to date

Can somebody else reproduce this behavior?
    Thanks for reading!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)

Interesting, I've never seen this happen on my ASRock Z87 PC with A-Tuning, but I don't use the lock option.

Question, do you have A-Tuning set to auto-run when Windows boots? There should be an entry for A-Tuning in the Windows Startup entries when it is installed. I normally have that entry disabled, since IMO there is no need to have it or most other programs set to run in the background when the PC boots. I don't know if that will make a difference with this apparent issue, just a thought.

I currently have it unsinstalled. I'm not sure about startup entries but I'm sure about some service, There's definetely something running in the background. As the user in the german topic of the links I privided states, it was some dll on his system: 'USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll'. It might be from the USB Key program in the suite. I'm not able to track what exactly causes it on my system because it only occurs when I'm locked out. I can only see it in recource monitor on the average CPU utilisation which stays on top (25%) even the event causing the high CPU load is gone. I tried process monitor and process explorer, no chance. I definetely can see it on my power meter cause the pc doesn't idle when locked and consumes above 30 Watts. If I leave it on the desktop without locking it needs below 20 Watts.

'USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll' is most likely the "USB Key" auto-login util/program in the A-Tuning suite.

Does it, USB Key when set enabled, even work on/from a locked to USB Key enabled login situation?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I've never tried USB Key or anything else than Driver Updater, Fantastic tuning and Temperatur monitor. But I'll install it again and try USB Key if it helps debugging.

Ok, I reinstalled it and tried. Yes it works but CPU load while locked is still 25%.

A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)-unbenannt-jpg
    The spike in the graph is the locked state.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I experimented with this phenomenon a bit, and had a similar result, but I don't think it is caused by A-Tuning, or the USB Key program.

I have A-Tuning installed, but disabled in Startup (open the Windows 8 Task Manager and click the Startup tab, right click an entry and choose Disable. If it is not listed, the CCleaner program has a Startup tool that does the same thing, but lists more things than Windows 8 does) and it does not appear as a process in Resource Monitor. I also do not have a USBKey process or service running as far as I can see.

I entered the Windows 8 Lock state, with Resource Monitor running. I waited a while, and exited the Lock state. Sure enough, I had the increased CPU usage at ~25% while in the Lock state. This is a pic of Resource Monitor while in the Lock state:

A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)-lock-cpu-usage-4-jpg

We can clearly see the sudden and steady increase in CPU usage during the Lock state. I have CPU power saving options enabled, and we can see the increase in CPU frequency during that time, the blue line in the graph.

But notice I do not have an ATuning.exe process in the list.The OP said he did not have the increased CPU usage with A-Tuning uninstalled, which I have not tried yet. But if it is not running, how does it affect the LogonUI.exe process?

The very consistent level of CPU activity shown in the Total Usage graph appears to be a broken or zombie process, stuck at one level of activity. But we can see in each core usage graph the typical spikes of one or more processes running, without a consistent pattern. I'm not sure what to think about this activity during Lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid Vigor View Post
    After uninstalling A-Tuning the CPU utilisation in locked state disappears.
    After uninstalling the spikes disappear when the system is locked. Ths makes me assume, the poster in the Microsoft blog is right and it concerns A-Tuning. Unfortunately I'm not savvy enough to prove it down to an A-Tuning process. But since uninstalling A-Tuning helps, it seems to be related to it.

I've tried process monitor again and searched out was happens when the machine is locked. I've found that registry activity related to Asrock Secure logon tries to open someeting which name can't be found. Maybe this is causing the CPU load. The USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll has something to do with it.
    A-Tuning causing high CPU usage when computer is locked (Win8.1)-asrock-jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information