Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C2750D4I too long pre BIOS startup time

Default Re: C2750D4I too long pre BIOS startup time

Anyone here got it to work normally?
    I can not even boot up with mine. First boot after CMOS reset goes straight into bios.
    After that screen never lights up anymore.

No install of any OS works because screen as all black. Can not go into bios either.
    Only way to get to bios is to pull the battery.

1.80 bios

Can any Asrock member please give us some hope? :)

ps. Memory used is KVR16N11H/8 32GB. Nothing else connected running on onboard VGA

I'm dealing with an AsRock support person. Apparently the slow post is due to RAM increased by having more total memory and more total dimms and is expected behavior. I have 4x4 GB Mushkin Proline 991714 and my post time is about 45 seconds.

The board behaves a lot more consistent when speed step is disabled as well as C states disabled. Of course that means that turbo doesn't work.

He had me install Windows as a diagnostic step. For some reason you have to boot options enabled in order to install Windows. I think this has something to do with UEFI. For simplicity I disabled all boot options except a thumbstick to get Server 2008 R2 install to start but the installer would not continue unless I had a hard drive specified as the second boot option.

Once the OS is installed it will boot and the VGA port will work for me. However everything is really jerky and the mouse acts like it gets stuck. Once I install the Intel INF posted at the AsRock site the jerkiness and sluggishness goes away. This makes me think that when I was using Fedora 19 the kernel I was using was missing some type of driver, or is not optimized but I don't have more detailed information yet. It's not uncommon for very new hardware like this to only have devel support in the kernel at first.

Once I install the Aspeed vga driver, then the display behaves really weird. It will only sometimes start video on the monitor but usually not and if the display ever goes to sleep, it will not wake.

Also I've got to say that the passive heatsink is inadequate. I ran prime 95 on this to get some temps. With only case fans in a mini itx case under load the C2750 gets up to about 92 C in under 10 minutes. I put a 60MM fan on it and operating temps are now 33-52C. Clearly this is intended to be installed in a 1U server case with a loud strong fan blowing directly on the motherboard.

Also if the OS is on a sata disk you will want to make sure to put it in Sata0 or 1 (the white ports by the io bracket). Those are using the intel sata controller. The other 6 are on 2 separate Marvell chips.

Technical Support Request has been established by the user . In our email response, we have suggested the method to eliminate the memory error first. Please post your testing result here and in the email. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
    In our email response, we have suggested the method to eliminate the memory error first.
    Bill, care to share and post this memory testing methodology here for future user that may stumble in here at a later date?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by cabraja View Post
    Anyone here got it to work normally?
    I can not even boot up with mine. First boot after CMOS reset goes straight into bios.
    After that screen never lights up anymore.

No install of any OS works because screen as all black. Can not go into bios either.
    Only way to get to bios is to pull the battery.

1.80 bios

Can any Asrock member please give us some hope? :)

ps. Memory used is KVR16N11H/8 32GB. Nothing else connected running on onboard VGA
    To eliminate the memory problem quickly without running a diagnostic program, one may try using one stick of RAM at a time in the slot A1 (blue) until all 4 sticks are tried. The possibility of having all 4 memory bad is slim especially if they are newly purchased. If one RAM POSTed, then you can move on to install another stick of RAM in the slot B1 (blue). Continue adding in one stick of RAM at a time using B1 (white) and then B2 (white), or until the board doesn't POST at a certain RAM that was just installed. To further verify if one RAM which you found may have gone amok, you may use that RAM by itself with the board to get it to POST, or run memtest86 on it.

Even though the user may have the latest BIOS that the board came with, but try to reflash it just in case. Here is the link ASRock Rack > C2750D4I .

Quote Originally Posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
    To eliminate the memory problem quickly without running a diagnostic program, one may try using one stick of RAM at a time in the slot A1 (blue) until all 4 sticks are tried. The possibility of having all 4 memory bad is slim especially if they are newly purchased. If one RAM POSTed, then you can move on to install another stick of RAM in the slot B1 (blue). Continue adding in one stick of RAM at a time using B1 (white) and then B2 (white), or until the board doesn't POST at a certain RAM that was just installed. To further verify if one RAM which you found may have gone amok, you may use that RAM by itself with the board to get it to POST, or run memtest86 on it.

Even though the user may have the latest BIOS that the board came with, but try to reflash it just in case. Here is the link ASRock Rack > C2750D4I .
    I have tested the memory sticks without sucess. Each one in Each slot separately.
    At the moment i see fan spinning up when i push the power botton but screen stays black.
    I can not get into BIOS at all and no POST msg ever shows up.

Hi,

After some time fine-tuning the Linux environment for this board I came to the following conclusions in order to get the board working reliably (at least I have mine working 24/24 for a whole 2 months now without a glitch):

1) Disable in the BIOS the following settings (maybe not all of these need to be disabled, at least the ones that deal with the CPU speed must be disabled or else you can experience kernel oopses):

Intel SpeedStep Technology
    CPU C State Support
    No-Execute Memory Protection
    Intel Virtualization Technology
    Intel Turbo Boost Technology

2) In /etc/sysctl.conf add a line with the following:

vm.overcommit_memory = 2

save and issue sysctl -p to activate it immediately or wait for next reboot.

3) In the kernel boot parameters (for instance, in the file /etc/grub2.cfg) add the following parameter for every kernel version you want to boot:

nmi_watchdog=0

reboot and hopefully you'll experience a stable system.

4) If you experience several lines similar to these in your daily logwatches:

INFO (Job execution of per-minute job scheduled for 12:16 delayed into subsequent minute 12:18. Skipping job run.)
    INFO (Job execution of per-minute job scheduled for 12:17 delayed into subsequent minute 12:19. Skipping job run.)
    INFO (Job execution of per-minute job scheduled for 12:21 delayed into subsequent minute 12:23. Skipping job run.)
    INFO (Job execution of per-minute job scheduled for 12:21 delayed into subsequent minute 12:23. Skipping job run.)
    INFO (Job execution of per-minute job scheduled for 12:22 delayed into subsequent minute 12:24. Skipping job run.)
    INFO (Job execution of per-minute job scheduled for 12:41 delayed into subsequent minute 12:43. Skipping job run.)

this may mean that you have software RAID and your system is checking the arrays when this happens, make sure your /etc/sysconfig/raid-check or similar has the NICE option set to "idle".

Note: This info is based on a Fedora 20, 32bit PAE install, 32GB RAM (2x Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B 16GB (2x 8GB) Memory Kit, so, 4 modules of 8GB each, 1.35V, DDR3-1600/PC3-12800, ECC memory).

Hope this info will help your systems run as smoothly as mine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information