Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 970 extreme 3 / raid 0 / Windows 8.1 setup

Lothraan is offline Junior Member

Default 970 extreme 3 / raid 0 / Windows 8.1 setup

Hello!

I need some help with the raid driver. The windows 8.1 x64 setup don't see the raid block (logical disc). I can load the driver but the setup still not find any disc.

1st/ the drivers copied by the original motherboard support CD.
    2nd/ downloaded win7 x64 drivers from asrock site (just for testing, i can use other w7 drivers with w8.1)
    3rd/ downloaded drivers from AMD site v13.12 12/18/2013. The extracted package have Bolton/hseries/SB7xx/SB8xx folders but nothing for SB950 :(

The windows installer and the drivers was on 2 separate pendrives.
    The raid block is 2x samsung 840pro 250G SSD

I tried to install win7 ultimate x64, but have the same results :(

Anyone have a solution for this case?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: 970 extreme 3 / raid 0 / Windows 8.1 setup

What did you use to create your RAID "block" with the Samsung 840 Pros (250GB is the EVO?)

No drivers on the Windows 8.1 page, but why did you use Windows 7 versions? Can't use them for 8.1. Try the ones from the Windows 8 download page for Windows 8.1.

The driver to be installed during Windows installation is: SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation) in the Windows 8 list. Ignore the floppy reference, just copy the files to the USB pen drive.

The main question is my first one.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What did you use to create your RAID "block" with the Samsung 840 Pros (250GB is the EVO?)

No drivers on the Windows 8.1 page, but why did you use Windows 7 versions? Can't use them for 8.1. Try the ones from the Windows 8 download page for Windows 8.1...

Hello, parsec

The 'Pro' and the 'Evo' is two different SSD series.
    To create RAID block i did use the RAID option ROM utility. (UEFI: advanced - storage settings - Set SATA controller to RAID mode, restart PC, press CTRL-F on RAID option ROM screen)
    There is no problem, 500G logical drive created . Name:samsungraid, RAID Mode: RAID O, Stripe Block: 64KB, Read Policy: Read Ahead, Write Policy: Write Back.
    LD View menu (2):

LD No. / LD 1
    RAID Mode / RAID 0
    Drv / 2
    Capacity / 497.99
    Status / Functional

Controller Configuration menu (4):
    Adapter Configuration - Options
    No parameters defined for current disk(s)

System Resources Configuration
    Controller IRQ: 10
    AHCI HBA MMIO Base Address: FEB0B000

AsRock 970 extreme 3 download pages:
    On Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 list, there's no SATA RAID drivers.
    I tried Win 7 drivers for test, because others (e.g. E-MU 1616m soundcard driver) works perfect with Win 8.1.
    I found Win 8 RAID driver pack on AMD site, but the SB9xx chipset written only in the description, there's no SB9xx folder in the package :(
    For drivers, i did use a FAT32 pendrive.
    Last edited by Lothraan; 01-03-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: text formatting

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lothraan View Post
    Hello, parsec

The 'Pro' and the 'Evo' is two different SSD series.
    Yeah I know, I use both. You said you have Pro's (256GB) and mentioned 250GB (EVOs are 250GB.) Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Lothraan View Post
    To create RAID block i did use the RAID option ROM utility. (UEFI: advanced - storage settings - Set SATA controller to RAID mode, restart PC, press CTRL-F on RAID option ROM screen)
    There is no problem, 500G logical drive created . Name:samsungraid, RAID Mode: RAID O, Stripe Block: 64KB, Read Policy: Read Ahead, Write Policy: Write Back.
    LD View menu (2):

LD No. / LD 1
    RAID Mode / RAID 0
    Drv / 2
    Capacity / 497.99
    Status / Functional

Controller Configuration menu (4):
    Adapter Configuration - Options
    No parameters defined for current disk(s)

System Resources Configuration
    Controller IRQ: 10
    AHCI HBA MMIO Base Address: FEB0B000

AsRock 970 extreme 3 download pages:
    On Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 list, there's no SATA RAID drivers.
    I tried Win 7 drivers for test, because others (e.g. E-MU 1616m soundcard driver) works perfect with Win 8.1.
    I found Win 8 RAID driver pack on AMD site, but the SB9xx chipset written only in the description, there's no SB9xx folder in the package :(
    For drivers, i did use a FAT32 pendrive.
    Ok, my bad, I was looking at the 970 Extreme R2.0 download page, ASRock does not have your board listed on their main mother board page. The R2.0 board has the F6 RAID driver in its Windows 8 download list, did you try that one?

Your board and BIOS 1.80 has the updated RAID "driver" as ASRock calls it, should be the Option ROM which is what you used to create the RAID array. The R2.0 board has a similar BIOS update with the RAID OROM at about the same time as yours, so they are likely identical. But they did not add the F6 AMD RAID driver to your board's download page, a mistake IMO. Both boards use the SB950.

Best I can suggest is try the F6 driver on the 970 Extreme R2.0 download page: ASRock > 970 Extreme3 R2.0

Yes, sorry. It's 256G 840pro. They listed as 840pro 250G in the webshop when i purchase. But it's corrected to 256G now.

I found the Win 8 x64 RAID drivers on the 970 extreme 3 R2.0 list.
    Win8_RAID(3.3.1540.33) strange... the .inf file inside says it's 3.4.1540.2.
    Still not working. The Win8 setup can load it, i hear my HDD on SATA port 3 to stop and start again. But after the search, no raid drive (SATA port 1&2) in the list.

Thread Information