Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z87M OC Formula wont shutdown

cloudbuster is offline Junior Member

Default Z87M OC Formula wont shutdown

The computer wont shut down, it was working just fine. But after some updates of windows I believe that when it started staying running. It stop sending visual to the monitor but the PC stay running. I have to force it off holding the power button.

Spec from CPU-Z
    MoBo: Z87M OC Formula (Version P1.10 Date 06/05/2013) (Haswell Rev 06) (Z87 Rev C1)
    CPU: Intel i5 4670K
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
    RAM: G.Skill F3-14900CL8-4GBXM in slot 2 and 4
    SDD: Crucial 240GB in SATA 1
    HDD: WD 1TB Black in SATA 3
    DVD: Lite-on in SATA 5
    PSU: XFX 850 Gold

Also I see a Code 05 on the MoBO where do I go to see what the codes mean?

I just build it 2 days ago.
    What could I try. Im not super good with computers. But I can follow guides step by step.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by cloudbuster; 01-02-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Default Re: Z87M OC Formula wont shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    Also I see a Code 05 on the MoBO where do I go to see what the codes mean?
    Always look in the manual. I just did to discover what your Dr Debug's 05 refers to on this motherboard.

Do you allow Windows Update to update device drivers too?

Check in the BIOS that the memory's timings and voltage are correctly set.

Hmmm, there's been a lot of BIOS updates for this board since 1.10, with the latest 1.60 having memory compatibility improvements.

But I don't suggest updating the BIOS until you can prove the memory is stable FIRST. Grab a copy of MemTest86+ (<-link) and run it for 5-8 passes on both sticks of memory as they're installed now. If the memory test goes 5-8 passes without errors I'd say it's a safe bet to update the BIOS to 1.60. But DO NOT use "Internet Flash" to flash with/by, ever never! Use Instant Flash instead. Again though, attempt flashing ONLY after 5-8 error free passes of MemTest86+.

After 5-8 error free passes of MemTest86+ if you want and or feel the need for help with using Instant Flash to flash your BIOS feel free to ask.

Hello and welcome to TweakTown.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Always look in the manual. I just did to discover what your Dr Debug's 05 refers to on this motherboard.

Do you allow Windows Update to update device drivers too?

Check in the BIOS that the memory's timings and voltage are correctly set.

Hmmm, there's been a lot of BIOS updates for this board since 1.10, with the latest 1.60 having memory compatibility improvements.

But I don't suggest updating the BIOS until you can prove the memory is stable FIRST. Grab a copy of MemTest86+ (<-link) and run it for 5-8 passes on both sticks of memory as they're installed now. If the memory test goes 5-8 passes without errors I'd say it's a safe bet to update the BIOS to 1.60. But DO NOT use "Internet Flash" to flash with/by, ever never! Use Instant Flash instead. Again though, attempt flashing ONLY after 5-8 error free passes of MemTest86+.

After 5-8 error free passes of MemTest86+ if you want and or feel the need for help with using Instant Flash to flash your BIOS feel free to ask.

Hello and welcome to TweakTown.

I forgot this board came with 2 manuals, I just looked on the second one and I dont see anything mentioning what the Dr. Debug codes mean. I think I am missing a manual.
    I will download the one on Asrock.com and see if is the same one I have.

Windows update was on. I just selected to ask me before installing. Dont know if it update device drivers how to I know?

The RAM Timing 8-9-9-24 Voltage 1.5V I will check on the timing I remember I saw the Volts to be at 1.5
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM - Newegg.com

Will do the memtest86 and report back.

BIOS I just got this MoBo it came with that one.
    question to update if all is working correctly can I download the BIOS to external HDD and use that, I dont think I have a USB flash drive around.
    but the HDD is almost full would that a problem?

Thanks!

How to stop Windows 7 automatically installing drivers

As for flashing using Instant Flash, please note the drive MUST be formatted FAT32. In my house that rules out HDDs, be they external or internal.

Flash drives are all I've used with Instant Flash and I've never had a problem up-flashing or down-flashing.

My suggestion is get a small 4GB or so BRAND NAME usb thumb drive. If you have a BestBuy near you they have an 8GB PNY thumb drive on sale for $4.99+tax, HERE and HERE.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

the timing was 11-11-11-28
    So i changed it to the 8-9-9-24

I did not change anything else on the BIOS setting.
    Not secondary timing, just the Primary

Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    the timing was 11-11-11-28
    So i changed it to the 8-9-9-24
    Leave the secondaries alone for the time being.

11-11-11-28 on those sticks looks like JEDEC defaults for 1600, not the 1866 of these sticks. Check that their speed is set to 1866 also with those timings you mention you changed.

Or simply enable them using XMP settings in the BIOS. That's probably best here in this instance. That CPU should, I say should, do 1866 no problem.

on the Asrock timing configurator it say DRAM Frequency 1600mhz so that mean it have the wrong one?
    the rest look to be good 8-9-9-24
    Im not so sure in BIOS were was the speed. will go back in there and see were to change it.
    mostly everything was in Auto.

On another note im installing memtest on a CD to do the boot from CD.
    Would the BIOS be the same way or it have to be flash drive?
    I will check tomorrow in a store I have nearby that sell electronics. I dont have a bestbuy anywhere near.

update:
    I found and changed the Freq to 1866 now in the Asrock timing configurator it shows 1867Mhz and in FSB DRAM 1:7

Now I will do the memtest

Let me ask parsec if he'd join in here to help you with XMP on Intel boards. He has a Z87 board too.

I just let the memtest 5.01 running it was at test #10 when I exited
    Time 21:50
    Pass 0
    Errors 0

did I exited to soon or that was good enough?
    if not how long I have to leave it running.

I know you mentioned 5-8 passed but not sure if that equal test numbers.
    almost all the tutorial I found are for older version of memtest.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information