Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

A volt meter tells you nothing about load voltage, when the PSU is asked to provide power in Watts (Amps into 12V DC.) That is what is done in good power supply testing, load testing is the general name. Or did you check the voltages with the PC in use?

You may be Ok since you have a low power usage PC, no graphics card. But as wardog said, older PSU's have less watts on the 12V supply, and more on the 5V and 3.3V supplies.

Actually, what is your current situation? Does the PC boot windows now?

sgt_hatred is offline Junior Member

Wow.. I seem to be having the same issue as well. Brand new build. All new parts. Started up without a hitch. I downloaded bios revision 2.30 to update my system with. I figured since I was just starting from a blank slate, I'd start with everything up to date. Tossed the file on the root of my sd card, plugged it into usb in back. I then ran the instant flash. It found the file. I clicked it. It did it's thing. ran through 100%. It said it needed to reboot and it did. After rebooting, I'm getting the same sequence of beeps. 3 short pause 3 short long pause. it just repeats, like in the other guy's youtube video. since this is a fresh build, i don't have other ram to test it with.. tried different combinations of switching their positions, 1 at a time, etc. still no progress.. everything detected perfectly prior to the flash... and the fact that i'm getting post errors at all is a pretty good indication that the flash was successful. the only thing is that the ram isn't listed on the compatible list of asrock's website.. however, it is listed as compatible on crucial's website (BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00) 16gb. I rarely have issues like this because I tend to carefully plan out my builds.. but it seems Murphy's Law has struck yet again. I'm at the point of going to a brick and mortar store like frys, best buy, or microcenter to pick up some ram and give that a try. i'm not made of money though and this may have to wait a bit.. very frustrating. (bought my last ram online factory sealed) any ideas? thanks.

Both you guys, was the media you placed the unpacked bios file formatted to FAT32 as should be, or was/is(?) it formatted to something else?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Of course it was fat32. I doubt it would have read otherwise. I have decided the best course of action right now is to bite the bullet and order gskill ripjaws 16gb kit (ddr3 1600). Not looking to overclock the ram. Just want something reliable. Ive heard of ppl having good results with these. Ill report back after I test those.and see if.things are looking up. If.not, it could be the.motherboard but I dont see.how. its still posting.

sgt_hatred, On one hand, you and the OP both had memory issues after changing to BIOS 2.30, which does not contain anything about memory compatibility, if we can trust the description. The last BIOS version that had that in the description is version 2.00. What version were you using before you changed to 2.30?

OTOH, both of you used memory that is not in the compatibility list although it worked for you in the past, correct? The memory I use in my ASR Z87 board is not in the compatibility list, but works fine at 2133, which is a decent OC above its spec speed of 1600.

One could surmise that the 2.30 BIOS tightened up the memory requirements, or possibly has a bug causing memory instability. Your description of the BIOS update sounds like it worked correctly, and Instant Flash is normally the safest method to use.

I hate issues with unknowns that are beyond our knowledge to know what is going on.

my2cents is offline Junior Member

As previously implied, why not just flash back to the previous bios version that worked? Thereafter, you could pursue the newly identified issue via ASRock support (eg works fine on bios version 2.xx but does not work on 2.30). Let them figure it out...

Therein lies the problem. My previous version was 1.90. Flashing would not be a problem if I could get past 3 short beeps. All I have is a black screen to work with.. I need the pc to successfully get past post.

my2cents is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_hatred View Post
    Therein lies the problem. My previous version was 1.90. Flashing would not be a problem if I could get past 3 short beeps. All I have is a black screen to work with.. I need the pc to successfully get past post.
    My apologies for not reading through the entire thread. Since you have already received some very good recommendations, please ignore what you have already tried successfully:

Clearing the cmos on your specific motherboard:

It appears the cmos switch is directly accessible from the rear of your PC. Follow the instructions to clear the cmos as described below and make sure your remove the jumper after doing so:

Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST-cmos3-jpg

If this does not work, try the following additional suggestions:

Try posting "without" the cmos battery installed.
    Try posting with just 1 stick of memory installed (rotate the stick thru A1 and B1 sots).
    Repeat above with second memory stick.
    Unplug any PCIE graphic card (if present) and all peripherals (you only need a CPU and RAM to post).

I apologize if you have already tried all of the above.

Good luck,

my2cents

I was considering suggesting clearing the CMOS, but ASRock specifically states that right after a BIOS update, the CMOS should not be cleared until default settings are saved first.

I don't recall other board manufactures specifying that instruction, but I've seen that statement more than once in ASRock manuals.

Sorry, not trying to shoot you down my2cents, just sayin' what I've read.

I had tried everything but remove the.cmos.battery. that didnt help any. Cycled ram in every combo. Only things plugged in are cpu fan, cpu power, mobo power, case fan, and case buttons, etc. Bare minimum. Gonna wait.on the ram. Should.arrive in a few days. Prior to flashing , everything was default settings. It's nuts. Havent run into anything I couldn't fix.. but in hoping this isn't the exception. Im usually near rock bottom when I hit the forums. Lol. Still, thanks for all the advice. It helps to have second eyes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information