Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

my2cents is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Misconfigured UEFI and failed to POST

Good luck with the new RAM and I hope that fixes your issue.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I just wish that Samsung still sold their M379B5273DH0 4GB "Green" memory, which works perfectly at 1.35V with my i7-2600K, i5-3570K, and my i5-4670K processors, in ASR Z77 and Z87 boards. It's not listed in any of the memory compatibility lists of my boards, and OCs as high as 2133. Wazza300 highly approves of this memory. Microcenter and Newegg sold it, now long gone, Arrgghh!!

Can you believe this ripoff price for this Samsung memory, I paid less than that for 16GB!!

M379B5273DH0-YK0 Samsung 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory PC-12800

A few hits on FleaBay, but the price is not right...

sgt_hatred is offline Junior Member

Umm.. yeah.. there was a natural disaster somewhere near the ram factories..similar to the hdd problem in Thailand years back.that's why the same ram I bought for 159 now cost only 109 before black friday and 129 just before Christmas.prices are expected to rise even higher.. probably double the typical.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I just wish that Samsung still sold their M379B5273DH0 4GB "Green" memory, which works perfectly at 1.35V with my i7-2600K, i5-3570K, and my i5-4670K processors, in ASR Z77 and Z87 boards. It's not listed in any of the memory compatibility lists of my boards, and OCs as high as 2133.
    Same here. 16GB(4x4GB) has worked in every board in my sig and about 8 other boards.

Can you believe this ripoff price for this Samsung memory, I paid less than that for 16GB!!

M379B5273DH0-YK0 Samsung 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory PC-12800

A few hits on FleaBay, but the price is not right...
    [WTB] - Samsung Green 30nm Ram MV-3V4G3D/US | TechPowerUp Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DexNfx of TechPowerup on Dec 1, 2013 was seen typing
    I have a ton of them brand new still sealed for $70 shipped via USPS Priority. PM me for payment info and arrangements. :)
    Just sayin' ..........
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_hatred View Post
    Umm.. yeah.. there was a natural disaster somewhere near the ram factories..similar to the hdd problem in Thailand years back.that's why the same ram I bought for 159 now cost only 109 before black friday and 129 just before Christmas.prices are expected to rise even higher.. probably double the typical.
    Not a natural disaster. There was a fire at Hynix’s Chinese Fab 1 and 2 in Sept. 2013 that has been driving the current pricing upswing.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Same here. 16GB(4x4GB) has worked in every board in my sig and about 8 other boards.

[WTB] - Samsung Green 30nm Ram MV-3V4G3D/US | TechPowerUp Forums

Just sayin' ..........
    Let's see, $70 is still more than I paid for two 4GB DIMMs at Microcenter, which was either $50 or $56. Of course that was in those glorious green... I mean golden days. Of course $70 is much better than that link I found, if it actually is available through them. Given current RAM prices, $70 for 2 x 4GB new is probably the best you'll ever find.

My notion is Samsung sold that memory before they released the memory chips to other memory "manufactures", and after that happened, no more Samsung green memory.

wardog, what is that then, at least 11 boards where this RAM works fine? A mix of AMD and Intel, referring to the 8 other boards? Nice find BTW, I might buy some to round out my collection.

Is it me or is there a lesson to learn from this Samsung memory? The DIMMs packaged as a pair of 2 x 4GB, did not have sequential serial numbers, or even close serial numbers. I mixed single packaged DIMMs with pairs, all way different serial numbers, all work like a charm. I run 16GB on my Ivy Bridge PC at 2000, 1.35V. This memory is not listed in any of my boards compatibility lists... I know, the one that preaches using those lists. Yes I do, to users that would blame others if the memory we suggested did not work.

The only problem with them is they don't have any heat sink at all, just bare chips... I'm joking, that is a plus IMO! My Haswell board is able to monitor total memory power usage, with 8GB total I rarely see more than two Watts used, usually it is under 1.5 Watts. You want memory that is lower profile than the locks on your DIMM slots, this is it.

The lesson IMO is all the matched DIMMs for dual, triple, or quad channel boards, why is that necessary, is it reality? What do the memory manufactures do that seems to make this happen? Or are these Samsung memory chips just so magically different? I know manufactures are using them now, with the same old matched pairs, etc, needed. We should be able to ID what new memory uses these chips and see if they can be used as freely as the Samsung memory. If not, I really wonder what that is all about.

Sorry if this is teasing some of the others in this thread, I get it...

The lesson IMO is all the matched DIMMs for dual, triple, or quad channel boards, why is that necessary, is it reality? What do the memory manufactures do that seems to make this happen? Or are these Samsung memory chips just so magically different? I know manufactures are using them now, with the same old matched pairs, etc, needed. We should be able to ID what new memory uses these chips and see if they can be used as freely as the Samsung memory. If not, I really wonder what that is all about.
    Speed binning. Samsung I'm sure was well aware the chips could have been binned higher. But, that's not in Samsungs best interest to bin them higher as then they would have threatened the very same people they contract to. By bin higher I mean place a speed on the Samsung branded/released sticks/kits.

About all I think of is they were released as a teaser. Or possible they had too much production running and the contracts weren't lessening what was already produced chip wise. Heck, if all was needed was a PCB Samsung could whip those out in a heartbeat for the chips. Viola. Sales and maybe to a bigger extent inventory turns. Who really knows.

As Tony the Tiger says "They're GRRReat!"

That sounds quite likely. The teaser was for whom? End user or memory manufactures? DDR3 sales were down lately, so perhaps the teaser was for everyone involved. Or was this the last hurrah for DDR3 chips, and first for DDR4?

We know the Samsung DIMMs were spec'd at 1600, but what still bothers me is any memory from other manufactures IME never OC'd above their stated speed. That was with "matched" DIMMs. Meanwhile, the Samsung's do OC, with random DIMMs. 1600 spec'd DIMMs OC to 2133 at the same voltage? Tell me about another model of memory that does that. That is what really has me wondering. They could exist, but I'm not aware of them.

That's the whole point of the likes of Mushkin, G.Skill, etc in speed binning. From the same batch/run, the chips that can clock higher get used in higher mhz sticks/kits while the ones that don't perform at high mhz get used in lower mhz sticks/kits. That maximizes their value/income on a per batch/run basis.

Then, they too might program differing SPD's to each mhz level to be produced, yet with the same exact chips. That's where mixing non-matched chips/sticks/kits gets interesting.

Samsung programmed their SPD at 11-11-11 @ 1600 but we know that's rather loose for these. That's why I say they(Samsung) didn't speed bin the chips but instead selected an arbitrarily low bar considering what I have to imagine is what they knew they were/are capable. Or another way to look at it, arbitrarily low = JEDEC standard. Practically guaranteeing useability in any platform.

Any PSU that's 10yrs old does not have the power rails distributed for today's motherboards and processors.

Older motherboards/processors relied heavily on the 3.3v and 5v rails, while demanding less of the 12v rail. Today's motherboards/processors, such as your Z87E-ITX/i5-4570S, demand a lot more of the 12v rail and far less of the 3.3v and 5v.

Then we get to capacitor aging. While you checked the voltages, volts is only half the equation. And dare I say volts is the easy part of the equation while discussing computer power supplies.

Anyways, let us know how you get on with the new memory
    I have misspoken, the PS is 6 years old - anyway, I tested with a new PS (OCZ, 8 pins connector, 25A per 12V rail) and the same problem happened.

I also tested with a compatible Kingston 4GB memory. Same problem!

Actually, what is your current situation? Does the PC boot windows now?
    No. The situation is the same. 3 short beeps, 1 short silence, 3 short beeps, 1 long silence - repeat. Black screen.

I tested:
    different memory, different slots, cleared the CMOS removing the battery for 1 week, 2 PSs, no videocard or HD.

Both you guys, was the media you placed the unpacked bios file formatted to FAT32 as should be, or was/is(?) it formatted to something else?
    I updated trough Windows.

sgt_hatred, On one hand, you and the OP both had memory issues after changing to BIOS 2.30, which does not contain anything about memory compatibility, if we can trust the description. The last BIOS version that had that in the description is version 2.00. What version were you using before you changed to 2.30?

OTOH, both of you used memory that is not in the compatibility list although it worked for you in the past, correct? The memory I use in my ASR Z87 board is not in the compatibility list, but works fine at 2133, which is a decent OC above its spec speed of 1600.

One could surmise that the 2.30 BIOS tightened up the memory requirements, or possibly has a bug causing memory instability. Your description of the BIOS update sounds like it worked correctly, and Instant Flash is normally the safest method to use.

I hate issues with unknowns that are beyond our knowledge to know what is going on.
    My version was 1.90.

I tested with a compatible memory (using 1 and 2 sticks). Same problem. The memory is fine because I use it on another PC.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information