Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock H87 Pro4 and Sharkoon WPM500 PSU Fan of PSU works when Computer is off

Default ASRock H87 Pro4 and Sharkoon WPM500 PSU Fan of PSU works when Computer is off

Hi,

i have a question about ASRock H87 Pro4 mobo. I upgraded a system with this mainboard, a Intel Core i5 4570 and 8 GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix Sport memory. For OS there is an Samsung Evo 840 120 gb SSD, for data is a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda Green 7200. The graphics card is an older XFX Geforce 8800GS.

Today i figured out that the PSU fan of the Sharkoon WPM500 runs even the computer is not turned on. When i disconnect the ATX 2.2 connector from mainboard or shift the PSU's power switch to off the fan does not run.
    I have the same PSU in my own desktop system (ABIT KN9-SLI, 4 GB RAM, AMD Athlon64 x2 6000+) and the fan does not run when the computer is in standby.

I checked all UEFI settings and even the dehumidification function of the mainboard is switched off.

Could you help? Is this a defect? Or is this only a bug?

Thanks

StefanV3

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock H87 Pro4 and Sharkoon WPM500 PSU Fan of PSU works when Computer is off

It seems to me that power supply has a problem, not the mother board. We have not seen any other posts about fans in power supplies running when the PC is shutdown, for your board or any others.

If the rest of the PC is off when the power supply fan is running, meaning any fans in the case and the CPU cooler fan is off, then it must be a power supply fault.

A mother board cannot control a power supply's fan, there is no way a board can communicate with the power supply's fan. The control system used by mother boards to turn a power supply on and off is very simple and has not changed for many years.

The particular unit you have in your new PC has a problem. A few power supplies will run their fans after the PC is shutdown to cool it off if necessary, but that feature is not found on a WPM 500.

Default Re: ASRock H87 Pro4 and Sharkoon WPM500 PSU Fan of PSU works when Computer is off

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

It's nothing new to me that the Motherboard hasn't any System to control the psu's fans. I thought that the mainboard will get to many energy in standby so the psu is switching the fan on.
    Today evening i'll try the psu from my own Desktop System (a Sharkoon WPM500 too) and see whats happen with the fan.

Thanks

StefanV3

Hi,

now i was able to identify the fault. It was an old no name card reader with usb hub (self powered via 4 pin molex connector) which caused the psu fan to run.
    But now i ran into another problem. The computer runs fine but a few hours but as i checke dthe state is was off and didn't turn on. Maybe the psu is faulty.
    I'll try to figure out whats the problem now.

Thanks

StefanV3

Thread Information