Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question about energysaving tool

Default Question about energysaving tool

hello im new here :)

i have one question. asus has a tool named EPU where you can save energy + it reduces the fan speed ( so the noise level ). does asrock mainboards also have a simular tool ? i heard about erp is that almost the same as EPU from asus ?

regards

Default Re: Question about energysaving tool

ASRock uses IES. When looking at Asus's EPU, IES doesn't even come close to what is incorporated into EPU.

ASRock Intelligent Energy Saver

ASUS EPU Technology - Ultimate Power Saveing
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

ah ok

can this tool also lower the fan speed ? and i saw in the ies motherboard support list that there arent listed motherboards with the 1150 sockel. is that right ?

That "list' you see there is way way outdated as to the models that have IES incorporated into their respective utility.

I suppose the way to discover what models might meet your approval would be to download the manual of the motherboards you're interested in and browse through it.

Some 1150 models also have what is called FAN-Tastic Tuning, which might also interest you.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

my focus is on the asrock z87 extreme4. i already did and it supports a-tuning but i dont know if it has ies ^^

the only reason why it is important for me is because to reduce the fan speed. with epu the only thing you have to do is to put EPU to "Auto". in the manual of the extreme4 i saw that you can chose between 3 options

1.performance mode 2. normal mode 3. power saving mode

if i would chose power saving mode would the fan speed automatically go lower ?

parsec is offline Senior Member

The ASR Z87 Ex 4 does not have the IES feature, and I would not expect any of the Z87 boards to have that feature. It does not really make sense for mother boards that are made for over clocking CPUs to have an energy saving feature. The users of those boards simply are not interested in that. I don't think any of the ASR 8 series chipset boards has the IES feature.

All that the "Operation Mode" in A-Tuning with the three settings you listed does, is change the Windows Power Plan, from High performance, to Balanced, to Power saver. We could do that anytime in Windows now or in the past. Of course that does nothing to change the speed of fans.

But, IMO an extra power saving feature on the Intel 8 series chipset boards and CPUs is just not necessary. By using the correct BIOS option settings, these boards and CPUs will use less power than any other desktop system available now or in the past. I was surprised at how low the power usage of my Z87 PC is at idle. The new Intel SATA driver has a configuration option to save power by reducing the power usage of disk drives, that works only on the 8 series chipset boards.

Most ASR boards have fan speed control that adjusts their speed based on the CPU temperature. When configured correctly, the fans will slow down when the CPU is cooler and speed up only when it has a high load.

Thread Information