Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asrock 970 Pro3 2.0 bsods and freezing

Default Re: Asrock 970 Pro3 2.0 bsods and freezing

Looks like I get it back allot sooner than I thought. Windows has crashed and can not recover itself. Somehow I am to blame for it. TBH I just feel like going out and buying a
    Ga-990FXA-UD3, scrubbing both drives and doing a fresh install as the Asrock just isn't working out. It gets real hot here (45+ all week) so I'm thinking a fan isn't gunna cut it anyway

If you do go for that UD3 look for one that's a rev4.0 board. The rev3.0 boards seem to have more than its fair share of problems.

Is the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 available down there and priced somewhat comparable to the UD3? They're normally priced comparatively here and my experiences with the Extreme4 has been great. That, plus it has a small fan included in the box that can be mounted to cool the VRMs if needed in that hot weather of yours.

Whatever you get, do yourselves a big favor and get a 990FX board with better than 4+1 for that 6300.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by hsp25 View Post
    Somehow I am to blame for it.
    Rodney Dangerfield - "I get no respect. None I tell ya!"
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

LOL respect. Been lost or taken out of the dictionary hasn't it?

Another update. Got the pc back last night. I used an Athlon dual core to be safe when recovering as I know it's a stable cpu with low power usage. Couldn't use a restore point but had enough fore site to make a system image on another drive before giving it to the boy. It's not something I do usually but I'm glad as it recovered windows and got rid of anything he had installed on C drive. What a big bonus. I don't like using C drive for much other than OS and trusted windows programs. I updated LAN and HD audio drivers from realtek site. I don't know what or wear to get any others.
    It seems at this point it's not the VRM at all. I ran some prime95 tests. High loads with little ram test and default overclocks on mb. First an Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz Dual-Core (x boot enabled). Second AMD FX-6300 black edition (x boot caused a crash and had to be disabled). Third Phenom II X6 1090t black edition (x boot still disabled). It showed some interesting results.
    Athlon II X2 passed all in 10 min test and auto OC at 3.2 ghz.
    FX-6300 fatal failure and test stopped automatically in less than 5 min and was throttling to below 3ghz. It also ran hotter than the dual core.
    1090t passed all in the hottest conditions (MB got to 42 deg. normal is around 32 atm as the aircon has taken the room temp down considerably) 38 min test and auto OC to 3.5ghz.
    More testing over the weekend but I'd say the FX-6300 is the blame of the BSODS. First problem I've ever had with a new or any cpu. Is it common?

@wardog, I am still looking at a better cpu cooler and cooling the VRM as you suggest and think I may be able to help both with one item. I'm wondering if a suck rather than blow on VRM would be of benefit? It actually sounds like a better idea to remove the heat rather than push hot air at it but idk. I'm thinking of buying this cpu cooler Silverstone NT06-PRO CPU Cooler [SST-NT06-PRO] - $69.00 : PC Case Gear
    What do you think?

Throttling? As in high CPU temp throttle? Or was it the high temps of the VRM's and themselves(VRM's) going into protection mode? Important distinction between the two there and will be the determining factor as to a course of correction needed.

The one thing I can't remember you saying is what case you have this in. Link to case?

I know earlier I criticized the 4+1 this board has but last night I scoured the internet and found a whole lot of folks running your 970 Pro3 R2 / FX-6300 combo, and OC'ing it too. With that knowledge in hand I'm left puzzled as to your problem(s) with doing so.

If you have the 6300 out yet, flip it over and with a magnifying glass inspect/verify that the pins are all there and that they're all straight.

Asrock 970 Pro3 2.0 bsods and freezing-fx6300-5-jpg
    By throttling I mean running below it's standard ghz instead of an OC (amd turbo)as it should have been. I'm not purposely overclocking (well technically OC yes) only using default bios setting. It may have been the wrong term to use. Maybe the pic will tell you more. MB was coolish and cpu was hot. No bent pins and non missing that I can tell. Other two cpu ran as they should. The 1090t uses allot more power so should be worse but it seems faultless although runs a little hot with this cooler

Any thoughts on the cooler I linked?
    Last edited by hsp25; 01-17-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo

The case is as much of a mystery to me as it is to you sorry. I think it had ac dc symbol on the front but child ripped that off along with a small front flap door at the bottom. It has 120mm fan front,120mm fan rear and 80mm fan on the side. I got it from a work college who had it in his farm shed collecting dust. It was free. I swapped his old pc out of it.I'm thinking of buying a gaming case but that will have to be an early birthday pressant as this started out just wanting more HDD space and was my brainwave to upgrade.

I'm sure it will be a good thing once it's going properly

Idea!

Do you have the original OEM AMD 1090T heatsink? The one with heat pipes?

Yeah but for some reason I've found it really hard to put on. It seems to tight but I know it should fit

Quote Originally Posted by hsp25 View Post
    Yeah but for some reason I've found it really hard to put on. It seems to tight but I know it should fit
    I ran into that once myself. The one I ran into this with was dog eared at the four corners instead of four square corners.

And like you I didn't proceed either. Too much torque it seemed was req'd to "lock' it down.

Blue or black lever?

Meh, t'was just a thought to maybe save you some money.

That linked cooler. Can he wait till "ETA: 20/01/14" as is shown on the page? No experiences with it but it 'looks' good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information