Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Blue Screen after turning on x-boost on a 970 pro3 r.20

Default Blue Screen after turning on x-boost on a 970 pro3 r.20

Hi

i just purchased a new pc, after assembling everything, i started working on it with no problem at all

the thing started when I decided to turn on the xboost to check the benchmarks

then , when the pc loads , sometimes it freezes on the windows loading screen, and others it goes to blue screen when windows stop loading.
    the longest time it worked, i tryed to load the 3D Mark 11, and it went to blue screen in the middle of the first test

the only thing i detected that might be the problem , is that the ATI Catalyst center does not load when i run this mode, not even in the start bar.

anyone else with this problem?

my pc specs are:

AMD FX Series FX-8320 3.5Ghz 8X
    Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler
    Corsair CX500M 500W Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze
    G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 8GB 2x4GB CL9
    Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 2GB GDDR5 Battlefield 4 Edition
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA3
    Tacens Mars Gaming MC2

thanks a lot for your time!

Default Re: Blue Screen after turning on x-boost on a 970 pro3 r.20

Do you have a fan blowing across the voltage reg section(surrounding components) as the CPU Support page implies?

Notice the red asterisk on the left side of the FX-8320 line:
    ASRock > 970 Pro3 R2.0

Code:
    * For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

What wardog said is so true. Plus the 970 Pro 3 R2.0 has only a four phase CPU voltage regulator section, which is not very strong, plus it does not have a heat sink.

Your CM Hyper TX3 EVO is rather small for cooling an over clocked 8320.

The X-Boost automatic OC settings are apparently too much for either the CPU or the power supply. You should check the BIOS settings after enabling X-Boost and verify the settings are reasonable, but they seem not to be. Try lowering the level of the CPU frequency from what X-Boost set it to, and then try booting.

The ATI Catalyst program may be failing due to the OC. If it worked before the OC, but not after, and with the other problems you have, IMO the OC is the problem.

thank you very much!

i think i will leave it turned off, as the pc is powerfull enough for the games im playing

my plans are adding a watercooling system for the cpu in a couple of months and a ssd, so then ill will check the values of the OC

@ wordog I used the psu calk you linked. It sugests Minimum PSU Wattage: 296 W, Recommended PSU Wattage: 346w. I planed to try a brand new Corsair CX500M 500W Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze as the op is using because I have it here as a spare but it seems it simply wouldn't cut it.

Tevra, Please excuse my ignorance but wont water cooling make it worse?
    It will mean less air will get to the "four phase CPU voltage regulator section, which is not very strong, plus it does not have a heat sink."
    Last edited by hsp25; 01-13-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: found more to add

Quote Originally Posted by hsp25 View Post
    Tevra, Please excuse my ignorance but wont water cooling make it worse?
    It will mean less air will get to the "four phase CPU voltage regulator section, which is not very strong, plus it does not have a heat sink."
    Excellent observation. If it is relating to hot VRMs adding a wc will only exacerbate the/a problem.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information