Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: USB3 problems on Z68 Extreme4

Default USB3 problems on Z68 Extreme4

Hi,
    I have serious problems with USB3 interface (Etron EJ168) with my Z68 Extreme4. Most likely it didn't work from the start, but I noticed only with my recent USB3 devices. I have BIOS version 2.2 and i7 2600K (normally overclocked, but for troubleshooting this problem I tried also running it stock) and fully updated Win7.
    The problem is rather tricky, it may not be a MB's fault and it can be described by the following:
    1. Generally the problem demonstrates by VERY (I mean unusably) slow and laggy data transfers.
    2. Some USB3 devices work bad (Transcend card reader, Orico external drive enclosure), whereas another USB3 devices work fine (e.g. USB3-SATA adapter bundled to Samsung SSD, another Orico external drive enclosure). The problem shows most of the time, but sometimes even problematic devices work fine.
    3. If given USB3 device works bad, it works bad also when connected to USB2 connector (!). Both MB and case front-panel connectors do the same.
    4. All my problematic USB3 devices work fine in another Asrock motherboard (H77-ITX), both on USB 2 and 3, in Win7.
    5. All my USB2 devices work fine, both on USB 2 and 3.
    6. As far as I'm able to test, the problem doesn't manifest itself in Linux (I only tried Ubuntu live distribution with no proper testing tools; I can't rule out the possibility it was the rare case of "fine working" which would eventually detoriate).
    I experimented with several versions of Etron USB3 drivers with no effect. I can see several possible causes of these problems:
    - crappy (more gently: incompatible) controller in the problematic devices (may be the same in all of them)
    - operating system problem, but likely not a driver problem as it involves both USB2 (Intel) and USB3 (Etron) drivers (or am I missing something?)
    - BIOS/firmware problem, but again, in a layer above the actual controllers of both USB interfaces
    Anybody encountered this kind of problem? Any advice?
    Thanks a lot.
    Martin

Edit: I've just tested this in Linux more thoroughly. Data transfers from/to USB3 device plugged to USB3 connector are stable, though only on USB2 speeds. This is most likely due to the lack of Etron drivers for Linux. But anyway, the problem doesn't seem to be in hardware, it's OS specific to a certain extent.
    Last edited by nalott; 01-14-2014 at 07:21 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: USB3 problems on Z68 Extreme4

Do you have the ASRock XFast USB software installed? If so, remove it and see how it goes.

Does Windows 7 have its own USB 3.0 driver now? Not even sure, since I don't have your board or USB 3.0 problems.

XFast is not an never was installed.
    AFAIK there's no standard USB 3.0 driver in Windows 7. Without OEM driver the ports do just USB 2.0 if anything.

Windows does not come with an in-the-box driver for Etron controllers.

What versions of the Etron drivers have you tried?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thank you for your advices. The problem seems to be solved by Etron driver version 1.0.0.112. I'm going on testing (giving a try to version 115), but so far it looks good enough.

Short explanation of my inability to discover earlier: Until now I have tried version 96 (WHQL, last offical one from Asrock), 109 and 118. The problem was that version 118 is intended for Windows 8 and on Windows 7 installs only version 109 (however Add/Remove Programs show the version 118).
    Last edited by nalott; 01-15-2014 at 05:44 AM.

My satisfaction was premature. Data transfers are stable and reliable, but the speeds indicate that it comunicates on USB 2.0 protocol. It never exceeds 44 MB/s. Tried with SATA SSD to USB SSD, which is capable of around 100 MB/s in other machine. Ok, 44 MB/s is still much faster than before but the new driver only seems to workaround the problem automatically falling back to slower speed.

The Etron driver install is sometimes snitty.

Try this.

Uninstall the current one and reboot, then proceed to reinstall. This method was noted on an ASRock Tech Support sheet I had read once and it has never failed me since.

Etron I see has for whatever reason pulled 118 from availability on their download pages so I'd probably stay away from 118 for the time being.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thumbs up Re: USB3 problems on Z68 Extreme4

I reinstalled the driver with no change.
    However, I got my hands on another USB 3.0 to SATA adapter and it performs good even with this bloody Etron. Again, the problem seems solved, kind of.
    Thanks for help.

Thread Information