Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock H81M-HDS Vista Video driver

Default Asrock H81M-HDS Vista Video driver

Hi,

I have built a new system for my parents using an Asrock H81M-HDS (with onboard video) and utilising my parents existing copy of Windows vista to keep the build cost down.

The video driver however will not update and uses the default windows video driver with poor performance. The drivers on the Asrock website when downloaded say that the operating system is not supported and the installation quits.

So is there no option to use Vista with this Asrock board? Windows vista is only 6-7 years old! (decades in IT I know) I'd rather not spend any more money on this system (ie buying a new o/s or separate video card) as I have already maxed the budget.

Any help appreciated!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock H81M-HDS Vista Video driver

It might help if we knew what processor you are using.

In general, the reason ASRock does not have a Vista driver for a Haswell board like yours, is because Intel's video drivers for those boards (really the on-CPU graphics) only support Windows 7 and 8.

There is a thread in this forum somewhere, that I think found a video driver for a Haswell board used with XP. That driver might work for you.

Processor is Intel Haswell Core i3 4130 3.4Ghz. Sorry didn't realise the processor was used by the onboard graphics, suppose it makes sense!

I think you're refering to this post, which does not quite seem to reach a conclusion. I will work through their suggestions to see if they work:
    H87M - Haswell Video Drivers for WinXP (4400 Series)

Any other suggestions?

Shouldn't the motherboard be sold with a note saying not combatiable with XP/Vista then?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brj_nz View Post
    Processor is Intel Haswell Core i3 4130 3.4Ghz. Sorry didn't realise the processor was used by the onboard graphics, suppose it makes sense!

I think you're refering to this post, which does not quite seem to reach a conclusion. I will work through their suggestions to see if they work:
    H87M - Haswell Video Drivers for WinXP (4400 Series)
    Yes that is the thread I meant. I was not aware of the conclusion or lack of one, since I don't use XP and am not knowledgeable about it. Just figures, the person with the same processor as you, an i3-4130, never got that driver working. I had no idea, sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by brj_nz View Post
    Any other suggestions?

Shouldn't the motherboard be sold with a note saying not combatiable with XP/Vista then?
    Yes that might be a good idea. I checked my ASRock Z87 board's box, no mention of OS compatibility.

Unfortunately, the latest Intel PC platform, Haswell processors and the 8 series chipsets (like your board's H81), and the release of Windows 8 by Microsoft, together create a point or line where anything older than Windows 7 is not supported. Randomly checking any of ASRock's Haswell boards shows support only for Windows 7 and 8.

Things change over time, and apparently it is difficult or impossible to support older OS's like Vista and XP while supporting new products like Windows 8.

I noticed that some ASRock boards for AMD systems had XP drivers, but none for Vista. Don't forget that the basic hardware drivers for a board are not created by the board's manufacture, but by the processor manufacture, AMD and Intel.

You could try Microsoft's download resource here: Microsoft Download Center

You could also check prices for upgrades from Microsoft, from Vista to Windows 7. Hopefully cheaper than a full copy.

Thread Information