Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: C2550D4I random boots, random ipmi hangs

Default C2550D4I random boots, random ipmi hangs

Hi,

Just got my C2550D4I which I tought would be easy to get up and running, which it isn't!

C2550D4I
    2x8GB Kingston 1600MHz ECC
    Corsair CX430M PSU
    Fractal Design 304

1 out of 20 boots get me video output, rest of the time it "hangs".
    No difference without any RAM or with just 1 DIMM installed (tried different dimm slots)

The PSU is attached with a 24 pin ATX, but I tried with 20 pin aswell, no difference in the booting there.

The chassi is connected with 3 sets of pins, Power Switch, Power Led and HDD Led, I've verified the +/- several times.

Logging on to IPMI, I can power it on, start remote console. But it never happens anything, it's always a black screen and nothing loads.
    Even the remote console claims the 'server' being powered off. And if you try starting it from the remote console, it usually just does nothing. But if you've tried to start the server from ipmi and from remote console, the ipmi hangs (you can www: to the web page, but you get invalid auth trying to logon). The remote server windows freezes, web page and ssh/telnet hangs aswell.

The C2550D4I runs FW 0.12.0, (I couldn't find any later for C2250D4I that uses the BMC flash technique). But I have tried and re-applied that one, no difference there.

Before the firmware flash I had some disturbing alarms in the eventlog:
    System Reconfigured,OEM System Boot Event,Undetermined System Hardware Failure,Entry Added to Auxiliary Log,PEF Action - Asserted

These however have not appeared again after the fw flash.

The current logs doesn't say anything of interest:
    Event log: OEM Record OEM timestamped
    System warning log: Numerous variety of IPMIMain: [542 WARNING][hal_api.c:256]hal_api.c : sensor number = e, error = 1

Is this normal behavior of these boards or did I get a faulty one?

Default Re: C2550D4I random boots, random ipmi hangs

Quote Originally Posted by martingustafsson View Post
    Hi,
    No difference without any RAM or with just 1 DIMM installed (tried different dimm slots)
    I have the 2750 version of this board and I'm pretty sure the memory works the same way. The first pair of DIMMs are supposed to go in the blue slots.

The C2550D4I runs FW 0.12.0, (I couldn't find any later for C2250D4I that uses the BMC flash technique). But I have tried and re-applied that one, no difference there.
    I believe the flash update in the IPMI web pages is for the IPMI only and not the BIOS. Looks like you figured out how to update the BIOS.

Is this normal behavior of these boards or did I get a faulty one?
    Mine works fine. Sounds like you may have got a bum one. Please note that not all the SATA ports are bootable and some you have to enable in the BIOS before they are available. That was something I ran into as I was moving my drives over from one setup to another (1 Linux root disk and 4 ZFS raid disks).

Default Re: C2550D4I random boots, random ipmi hangs

Hi create and thanks for the answer.

Yeah, I never managed to update the bios since it was so random when the motherboard booted.

I didn't have any sata port connected.

Anyhow, I've talked to the reseller and they are going to take the card back for troubleshooting.

Thread Information