Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac

Unhappy ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac

Hi All,

I've recently purchased an ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac motherboard for my new computer build. After getting it up and running it appears to be having an issue with the memory, specifically having all four DIMM slots filled.

If I only occupy two slots at a time everything is fine, but as soon as I try to put in four sticks of RAM I'm getting an error that either bank A or bank B did not pass test.

When researching this board I also sourced a pack of G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GTX RAM as per the ASRock Memory Support List. Therefore the memory pack I've bought should not be an issue as to compatibility.

I've tried configuring the BIOS, I've tried swapping the memory sticks around, I've tried clearing the BIOS, I've taken the CPU out to inspect the pins etc and I've also ensured that the BIOS running is the latest release from ASRock. Nothing that I've done has been able to rectify the issue. I have even ran tests on the RAM to ensure that there is nothing wrong with the memory sticks, of which they all passed.

The funny thing is that the UEFI BIOS on the main page only recognises two sticks of RAM, but when I click on the hardware tab the motherboard diagram acknowledges that there are in fact four sticks of RAM in the DIMM slots. It also recognises that PCIe slots 1 and 4 are populated with Gigabyte R9 290X video cards in each.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, were you able to fix it and how did you manage to get it fixed?

Cheers in advance.

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme9/ac

Some pics of the error message and the settings in the UEFI BIOS;

As you can see in this pic, even though channels A1 & A2 are populated they are not showing in the BIOS;

RAM Configuration settings;

System Browser tab showing that all four DIMM slots populated, along with PCIe slots 1 & 4;

Load up CPU-z and check if one of those XMP profiles carries a command rate of 2. If it does, try switching to 2 and retest.

And, what you're seeing there may simply be the CPU/memory controller balking at 4 sticks of 2400. 2400 is quite the gap from stock of 1600 for the 4770K. Sorry for not being any help with which voltages you might need to tinker with but I haven't any hands-on Haswell experience to go by.

Do the sticks have any JEDEC SPDs programmed that might be lower than 2400? You might be able to prove by setting the four sticks to a lower freq and check that they're picked up and work in the BIOS. As a benefit, while you loose some freq you'll gain tighter timings.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

First, great job supplying information about your issue, so many people don't do that and their first post in the thread is little more than, "My PC is broken, what's wrong?".

I've noticed that several ASR boards have BIOS "patches" for G.SKILL memory. It sticks in my mind since I keep seeing in a BIOS description, "Patched G.Skill... memory". Why that is necessary when the model is in the compatibility list is anyone's guess.

I've found that the System Browser can be erratic, so if it finds all your memory, that is a good sign. Did you try selecting the speed in the BIOS (DRAM Frequency) rather than using Auto? Also try setting DRAM Performance Mode to Disabled first, or Enabled, again avoiding Auto.

It looks like you don't have an OC on your CPU now, correct?

In the DRAM Configuration screen, find the option MRC Fast Boot (way down on the page) and set it to Disabled. While you're in that screen, scan for settings that might be wrong. Locate the two options with "ODT" in their name, the setting should show up as two numbers separated by a comma, this is just another detection check. If Command Tri State is Enabled, disable it.

In the OC Tweaker section of the BIOS, try setting System Agent Voltage Offset to a small positive value. That is the voltage for the CPU's memory controller. You can increase it an increment or two if nothing changes, but do NOT increase it to the level it allows, +1V is over twice the nominal value. Double check the memory voltage setting while you are in that neighborhood...

You said you tested the memory, was that in this ASR board, or a different board?

The error message about the memory could be independent of detection, that is, detection is simple (yeah, right) but passing testing another story.

Thanks wardog & parsec, some great advice/tips there I will be following up on. I'm going to be offline for a week as I have to take my daughter away for medical treatment, but I'll be sure to test everything when I get back and post the results.

Thanks again.

Thread Information