Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z87 Fatal1ty Pro Dual Lan with same mac address?

guidugli is offline Junior Member

Question Z87 Fatal1ty Pro Dual Lan with same mac address?

Hi Everyone,

I just built a new rig and I noticed that my two onboard Intel LAN (i211 and i217-V) have the same mac address. Although I can change it on the OS level, I wonder:
    1. Is it normal to have the two lan with same mac?
    2. Is there a way to change the mac address in the bios or using some utility?

I already had at least two motherboards with dual nics (besides this board), and neither had this "problem".

Although not likely, also wonder because my mobo did not boot due to faulty bios. I had to switch to secondary bios and recover the primary bios.
    Last edited by guidugli; 01-19-2014 at 03:09 AM.
    Asrock Z87 Fatal1ty Professional, i7 4770, G Skill Ares 32GB, ATI Radeon R9 290, WD Velociraptor 300GB, WD Black 500GB, 2 WD Green 2TB, 1 WD Green 1 TB, Antec Signature 850W, CoolerMaster CM 690 II Case, Fedora Linux / Windows (virtual machine with GPU pass-through)

Default Re: Z87 Fatal1ty Pro Dual Lan with same mac address?

Did NIC Teaming get turned on?

What's displayed when you look in Device Manager > Network adapters
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Did NIC Teaming get turned on?

What's displayed when you look in Device Manager > Network adapters

Hi Wardog,

No teaming is enabled (see image - both cards have similar image, i.e. have teaming disabled). Even when installing CentOS, for example, there is a eth1 device and a rename2 device. Usually Linux put devices as rename* when there is already another equal mac address on the system. Really odd.

Z87 Fatal1ty Pro Dual Lan with same mac address?-nic1-png
    Asrock Z87 Fatal1ty Professional, i7 4770, G Skill Ares 32GB, ATI Radeon R9 290, WD Velociraptor 300GB, WD Black 500GB, 2 WD Green 2TB, 1 WD Green 1 TB, Antec Signature 850W, CoolerMaster CM 690 II Case, Fedora Linux / Windows (virtual machine with GPU pass-through)

parsec is offline Senior Member

My ASR Z87 EX 6 board has the same dual LAN NICs as your board does. I have them teamed and each one has a different MAC address.

Have you had or currently have both of the Ethernet jack connected to cables and then to your router?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    My ASR Z87 EX 6 board has the same dual LAN NICs as your board does. I have them teamed and each one has a different MAC address.

Have you had or currently have both of the Ethernet jack connected to cables and then to your router?
    Hi Parsec,

Yes, if I connect both at the same time network won't work (as expected) due to mac address conflict. One get the IP from router and the other gets an IP associated by Windows. I just wonder if it's a problem with this board or a known problem with the model. The initial BIOS that was on the board did not work, and I had to use the other bios. I will try to switch to the other BIOS, although I don't think it will make much difference.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I have my two network cables connected to a network switch and the switch to my router. I can't recall if I started with only one cable connected to the PC, probably so.

Later I added the second cable, created the team (Adaptive Load Balancing) and it all works great. Intel NICs normally are very problem free.

Hi Parsec,

I did a few more tests. Tried to change the BIOS version and, as expected, the problem persisted.

I could connect both adapters when I went into properties -> Configure -> Advanced and added a custom mac address on the option "locally administered address" of one of the cards. Thus not a big issue. But I'm still a bit concerned if this mobo is really healthy. So far, it is stable, sound is working, tested other PCI Express ports and its ok. The only issues I found so far was:
    - Could not boot due to corrupted bios (solved using backup bios)
    - System hangs after downloading a new bios if I select the instant flash using the internet
    - I am not able to send a tech support record using bios, although other features that depend on the internet works (for example, it downloads bios)
    - Duplicated mac address

I opened a support request to Asrock using their web form, but I'm not sure if they'll answer. I sent one a month ago due to not being able to boot the board and I got no answer. Will try also to contact local dealer. Maybe they know if this is the default behavior.

As I said, the mac address is not a big issue, just concerned if this board has some hidden time bomb

It'll end up a time bomb sooner rather than later if Internet Flash is continually used. That's my humble opinion anyways. Instant Flash is the way to go.

After flashing, are you going directly back into the BIOS and before anything else selecting "Load Defaults"(or whatever it is on this board) and rebooting immediately afterwards?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    It'll end up a time bomb sooner rather than later if Internet Flash is continually used. That's my humble opinion anyways. Instant Flash is the way to go.

After flashing, are you going directly back into the BIOS and before anything else selecting "Load Defaults"(or whatever it is on this board) and rebooting immediately afterwards?
    Hi Wardog, using instant flash everything went ok. I did not explicitly load the default settings, since it did automatically. I had to enable again vt-d and rearrange the hard drive boot order after that.

The only annoying thing is the mac address. On Windows is a very simple thing to change but on Fedora 20 I'm struggling a bit. I know how to change the mac address but the interface identification is based on the mac address instead of the hardware. When I boot the system both adapters show with the same mac and ip again. I have to manually select the other profile on one nic to make it work. I'm searching the net to find some tutorial. A bit of incovenience here, but I believe I can live with that. So far, the system is rock solid, no blue screen, no reboots, no freezes. Will keep testing.

So far thanks for your help. Just to satisfy my curiosity, If someone have the same board, could you share if your nics have the same mac?

I'm outta my league with anything but Windows.

But take a look at the posts made under this topic, [CentOS] Ethernet puzzle. Quite a bit is discussed in helping the OP there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information