Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme11 win7 raid installation problems

hubbabubba71 is offline Junior Member

Default Extreme11 win7 raid installation problems

I am unable to setup my 4x Samsung 840 EVO raid either as LSI Raid or Sata3 Raid as neither the LSI nor the Intel RSTe drivers will install during the Windows 7 setup. At the moment the only visible drive is the 3TB Toshiba which will only appear if the raid functions in the bios are disabled. So far all attempts at pre-installing Raid drivers via the "Load Driver" feature found in the Win 7 setup have failed. All drivers are rejected on the basis that they're not properly signed (this may be a generic error). I really don't know where to go at this point or what to do as disabling the driver signing in installation setup has no effect on the outcome.

CPU: 4820k @4.6ghz (tested at stock and overlocked)
    MOBO: Asrock x79 Extreme11 mobo with bios version 3.20
    SSDs in Raid0: 4x Samsung 840 Evos
    Storage: 1x 3tb Toshiba
    GFX: GTX 780 Ti
    RAM: 16gigs Ripjaw X 2133
    PSU: Azza 1000watts

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Extreme11 win7 raid installation problems

First you must be sure that your SSDs are connected to the appropriate ports, either all Intel or all LSI.

You did not mention whether or not you created a RAID array before installing Windows, using either of the RAID utilities available during POST.

Your board's information page has a FAQ about using the LSI RAID here: ASRock > X79 Extreme11

BTW, the Intel SATA interface only has two SATA III ports, the others are SATA II, which will limit the final speed of a four drive array.

Currently the Raid exists on the LSI side of things (I set it up in the LSI boot menu), the SSDs are all connected to the SAS2 ports on the bottom of the motherboard. To be more specific literally nothing in my computer will be recognized when the raid function is set to "on"; no HDs, no opticals, nothing. This forces me to have to boot from a USB stick rather than the included DVD.

With that said the only wait to operate anything on the Sata2/3 ports raid functions have to be disabled as well.
    Last edited by hubbabubba71; 01-22-2014 at 02:18 AM.

I'll try the suggestion on the page you provided, odd this possible solution was not mentioned in a more obvious place.

update: It's till not working. I still can't install LSI drivers at the windows install screen

update2: I don't think this problem has all that much to do with the hardware as Ubuntu 12.04 installs perfectly fine and recognizes all drives.
    Last edited by hubbabubba71; 01-22-2014 at 03:20 AM.

So Windows 7 won't cooperate but Ubuntu does? Interesting, not doubting you but you might think the opposite would be true. Then again...

Could you use the LSI "floppy image" drivers for Windows, or something else? Really a dumb question, just wondering what source you used for the Ubuntu compatible drivers.

Otherwise, the procedure for creating a RAID volume with the LSI RAID Option ROM worked?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    So Windows 7 won't cooperate but Ubuntu does? Interesting, not doubting you but you might think the opposite would be true. Then again...

Could you use the LSI "floppy image" drivers for Windows, or something else? Really a dumb question, just wondering what source you used for the Ubuntu compatible drivers.
    I've tried all manner of LSI drivers I could get my hands on, all have received the generic Windows unsigned driver response. I'm of the opinion something else is going on here. As for Ubuntu drivers, I have none, the installer recognized the drivers right off the bat. No extra drivers needed. That's what's so crazy about this.

Otherwise, the procedure for creating a RAID volume with the LSI RAID Option ROM worked?
    Yes. Ubuntu 12.04 saw the LSI Logical Drive and was able to format it. I installed the Ubuntu OS which has been there ever since.

The thing that's bothering me is that the computer was sent to me with the a working Raid 0. changed the conditions because I wasn't satisfied with the speed results. So far I haven't been able to replicate their (cyberpowerpc's) setup in any way. Even by using the Sata2/3 ports the same condition arises with the RSTe drivers from Intel. I've contacted cyberpowerpc to figure out what exactly they did to allow the driver install and to find out which drivers they used to no avail. They seem just as perplexed by what's happening as I am. Apparently they used the drivers right off the Asrock DVD which for me aren't being installed.
    Last edited by hubbabubba71; 01-22-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Ok I've got an update. With the Win7 x86 drivers I was unable to make the drive visible to the installer. However I'm not receiving 0x80300024 error when I try to install. I'll look into that if you haven't anything immediate to provide.

update: Query: Is it possible to force the Win7 installation to use a drive by other means than the disabling driver signing? Considering that I have it copied to a USB flash drive could I edit something to force the app to use the designated LSI drivers?
    Last edited by hubbabubba71; 01-22-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba71 View Post
    Ok I've got an update. With the Win7 x86 drivers I was unable to make the drive visible to the installer. However I'm not receiving 0x80300024 error when I try to install. I'll look into that if you haven't anything immediate to provide.

update: Query: Is it possible to force the Win7 installation to use a drive by other means than the disabling driver signing? Considering that I have it copied to a USB flash drive could I edit something to force the app to use the designated LSI drivers?
    Thanks for the followup. Not sure if I have any new ideas for you, but...

You mentioned X86 drivers, which are the 32bit versions. If you are using 64bit Windows, the X64 drivers should work. The driver signing thing is odd, but may be related to the following. Not sure what to do about the driver signing, never had to deal with that, it should not happen IMO.

Also, you mentioned RSTe, which is the normal Intel X79 RAID driver. No other Intel platform uses the RSTe driver, which tends to benchmark lower than the usual Intel PC RAID driver, IRST. X79 boards were later changed via a BIOS update to allow the use of the IRST driver, your board's BIOS 3.00 adds that option. There may be a BIOS option that needs setting to allow the use of the IRST driver, version 12.7 on your board's download page.

It sounds like the PC came with the RAID 0 created with the RSTe driver with the Intel SATA interface. I have seen other posts in the forum by users of your board that have had issues with the LSI RAID, but that may be caused by incorrect configurations, etc. Or it could be a board issue, although you got it working with Ubuntu, which is great.

I don't use your board, so don't know what the storage configuration options are. Setting them right may be critical, but I don't know how much you dealt with those settings.

Thanks for the followup. Not sure if I have any new ideas for you, but...

You mentioned X86 drivers, which are the 32bit versions. If you are using 64bit Windows, the X64 drivers should work. The driver signing thing is odd, but may be related to the following. Not sure what to do about the driver signing, never had to deal with that, it should not happen IMO.
    Oddly enough it happens with the 32bit drivers as well but then they work anyways.

Also, you mentioned RSTe, which is the normal Intel X79 RAID driver. No other Intel platform uses the RSTe driver, which tends to benchmark lower than the usual Intel PC RAID driver, IRST. X79 boards were later changed via a BIOS update to allow the use of the IRST driver, your board's BIOS 3.00 adds that option. There may be a BIOS option that needs setting to allow the use of the IRST driver, version 12.7 on your board's download page.
    The only two selections I'm seeing at RST and RSTe under my raid settings.

It sounds like the PC came with the RAID 0 created with the RSTe driver with the Intel SATA interface. I have seen other posts in the forum by users of your board that have had issues with the LSI RAID, but that may be caused by incorrect configurations, etc. Or it could be a board issue, although you got it working with Ubuntu, which is great.
    Is there a depository for LSI drivers I could try that you know of?

Oddly enough it happens with the 32bit drivers as well but then they work anyways.

The only two selections I'm seeing at RST and RSTe under my raid settings.
    That seems to be the switch between IRST and RSTe, you might have better success with the IRST drivers.

Is there a depository for LSI drivers I could try that you know of?
    No, but a newer version can be found here: Station-Drivers - LSI

Googling on "lsi sas2 2308 mustang driver" will give you some options for drivers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information