Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer won't boot with graphics card installed

livigno08 is offline Junior Member

Default Computer won't boot with graphics card installed

I have an Acer M464 4GB RAM with an ASRock G41M-VS3 Motherboard. I've just installed a Corsair Builder Series CX 430 PSU to run a VTX3D Radeon HD7770 GPU.

When I switch on without the GPU installed, everything works great.
    When I switch on with the GPU installed, the fans come on for a few seconds, then everything goes off for a few seconds, then the fans come back on again but the computer doesn't boot up. Well, the monitor doesn't display anything, so I'm assuming the computer isn't booting.

I've tried plugging the monitor in to the VGA port on the mobo, but still nothing while the GPU is installed.

If I remove the card completely, the computer boots up again as normal.

I've read new cards can cause problems because the bios settings are wrong, but I've no idea which bios settings I need to take a look at. Are there any bios settings I need to change to get this card working?

Thanks!
    Last edited by livigno08; 01-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: Computer won't boot with graphics card installed

Did you plug the required 6pin GPU Power connector from the psu into the card?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

livigno08 is offline Junior Member

Yes, I did plug the 6 pin connector in to the card.
    I just checked the wattage of my system and it came back as 270w so the psu I have should be fine.

I'm not actually at the computer right now so I can't fill out all the details on my signature, but as soon as I get back home I'll fill out the details

You need to reset your BIOS. Unplug your power supply, remove the CMOS battery, short the CMOS jumper (CLRCMOS1 located right above the SATA4 connector) for at least 30 seconds, reinstall the battery, boot your computer - it should now boot into the BIOS setup. Select "Load BIOS Defaults" on the Exit page, save and restart the computer. Adjust BIOS settings as needed; make sure you have "PCI Express" selected at Primary Graphics Adapter. If this doesn't work, then something is wrong with your motherboard. Good luck!

Thread Information