Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C2750D4I Marvel 9230 SATA port problems

Default Re: C2750D4I Marvel 9230 SATA port problems

Any updates on this?

Latest BIOS P2.40 update and BMC firmware 0.17.0 are available ASRock Rack > C2750D4I . Users of C2750D4I ran into problem are encouraged to try to update the BIOS and BMC altogether.

C2750D4I Marvel 9230 SATA port problems-c2750update-png

Bill
    ASRock Rack
    william@asrockamerica.com

Hi all, long time since my original post and I have received a couple PMs about this recently so I thought I would update my situation with what I told them.

I was never able to have more than 2 drives on the Marvel 9230 (first 4 white connectors from the edge). So as long as you don't need more than 10 drives you should be ok. I am only using 7 (6 HDD + 1 SSD) and the system has been rock solid since I set it up end at the beginning of the year, though I did update it to Ubuntu 14.04.

I did get contacted by ASRock support several months ago about an updated firmware but never tried it because I did not want to take my system offline for an extended period and also because I did not have spare drives to do the destructive tests I was doing before.

Hope this helps others.
    -Carlos
    Last edited by create; 11-13-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: formatting

So I am back!

I haven't done too much with my C2550D4I, until today. I copied large amount of data to the server, and was trying to do snapraid sync. However after several attempts, the program said it could not read file. It differs among the attempts. But these are new hard drives! Am I that lucky? I tested the harddrive, but it seems fine.

Then I realized something: I bought a new server case last month, and moved all the hardware into the new case. And I plugged the HHD cable into different slots! Now I remember this thread, that the 9230 chip is buggy! Now I have re-plug in the HDD cable into other sata ports - NOT the 9230! so far so good!

I has been some time, but unfortunately there is no new firmware for C2550! However, there is new firmware for C2570. That's unfair... I think they are very similar?

Could I ask if any Asrock guy could update it? I am willing to try it out! Thanks!

So this time I was able to find something and kind of fixed it!

I have apologize that I said Asrock 'did nothing' about 9230 issue. When I was just checking the C2570 webpage, I saw some texts like "To disable Marvell SE 9230 HW Raid, please click here", and here is the link ASRock Rack > Support where also provides a package for 9230 on C2550. And here is the description for the fix:

Since we found Marvell 9230 Raid Mode get some problem at some OS, we already highlighted this issue to Marvell.
    In the short term solution, can disable Marvell 9230 HW Raid function to make Marvell 9230 port more stable, please follow below procedure to flash Marvell 9230 FW to disable HW Raid function.

So I boot the server into DOS, simply run the firmware updater to disable the raid function. Then connected all the disk back to 9230 ports, run the same snapraid sync command, and it went through without any problem.

I recon this is a good news! More tests may be needed, but it look good! Any updates I will let you guys now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelio View Post

I have apologize that I said Asrock 'did nothing' about 9230 issue. When I was just checking the C2570 webpage, I saw some texts like "To disable Marvell SE 9230 HW Raid, please click here", and here is the link ASRock Rack > Support where also provides a package for 9230 on C2550. And here is the description for the fix:

Since we found Marvell 9230 Raid Mode get some problem at some OS, we already highlighted this issue to Marvell.
    In the short term solution, can disable Marvell 9230 HW Raid function to make Marvell 9230 port more stable, please follow below procedure to flash Marvell 9230 FW to disable HW Raid function.

So I boot the server into DOS, simply run the firmware updater to disable the raid function. Then connected all the disk back to 9230 ports, run the same snapraid sync command, and it went through without any problem.

I recon this is a good news! More tests may be needed, but it look good! Any updates I will let you guys now. Thanks.

Hi littlelio, ASRock has been working closely with Marvell to update the firmware of their SE9230 chipset. And we do have one latest version you can try that out. Please let me know, thanks! william@asrockamerica.com

Quote Originally Posted by littlelio View Post

Thanks for posting this info! This is good. I could care less about their RAID anyway as I use software based ZFS raid. It will be nice to make a few more of the SATA3 ports usable.

You can also check if you have the latest Marvell FW version #1063 by entering into the Marvell storage configuration BIOS (ctrl+m).

Quote Originally Posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
    Hi littlelio, ASRock has been working closely with Marvell to update the firmware of their SE9230 chipset. And we do have one latest version you can try that out. Please let me know, thanks! william@asrockamerica.com
    Thanks! I just sent you an email!

Nobody notice that its forced to PCI-E Gen1 with this firmware?

New

Old

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information